Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2021, 04:17 PM   #41
38 coupe

Default Re: 21 Stud 37mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Well you learn sumpin every day, till they throw dirt on ya. So your saying that early 91a blocks were small bearing ones. Did they have a different prefix number?? interesting.
Thanks Gramps
Annoyingly Ford called both 81A blocks. The Green Book lists the 2.4 inch main version as 81A-6010-A for 1938 only and the 2.5 inch main version as 81A-6010-B for 39-42*.

*really annoyingly Ford apparently didn't change part numbers when the following three changes were made around the 40-41 model year change over to the blocks: "raised" intake surface (actually shrunk outside the gasket area), elimination of the core plugs in the oil pan rail, and sides of the block curved up to the exhaust ports.

I only know this stuff since I really like 38 Fords and trying to figure out how to make a correct looking 24 stud motor takes a bit of reading. I appreciate your experience and willingness to share, please don't take my clarifications as anything bad or mean.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:35 AM   #42
Ol' Ron

Well it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but i've been known to have a very hi "stupid factor". Don't worry about correcting me or anyone else here if they make a mistake, Facts are facts. I don't know very much about all the models of early ford parts as I seldom use them. as for the early 91a crank, it was popular back in the day when we thought things like that were important. The only people that don't make mistakes , are people that don't do anything.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #43
hop up

How does one tell a 1938 block with out tearing into it.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:33 AM   #44
Brian

How does one tell a 1938 block with out tearing into it.

Look at the length of the crankshaft snout
Old 01-03-2021, 12:05 PM   #45
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
Annoyingly Ford called both 81A blocks. The Green Book lists the 2.4 inch main version as 81A-6010-A for 1938 only and the 2.5 inch main version as 81A-6010-B for 39-42*.

*really annoyingly Ford apparently didn't change part numbers when the following three changes were made around the 40-41 model year change over to the blocks: "raised" intake surface (actually shrunk outside the gasket area), elimination of the core plugs in the oil pan rail, and sides of the block curved up to the exhaust ports.

I only know this stuff since I really like 38 Fords and trying to figure out how to make a correct looking 24 stud motor takes a bit of reading. I appreciate your experience and willingness to share, please don't take my clarifications as anything bad or mean.
Just a hunch, but the three changes listed do not alter compatibility with any other parts, so there is no need to make the distinction.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote