Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2023, 01:29 PM   #1
tom1948

Cool just a rant

Well, I took the bumper, grille( all 7 pieces), the parklight bezels and the trunk handle to get them chromed, $5,554.00. I just can't afford that, so it's back to square 1 on those parts. btw, they would only take cash too. so, still looking
tom1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:34 PM   #2
Newc

Default Re: just a rant

West Coast- our chrome work is shipped to Mexico- Some happy some not. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:42 PM   #3
rockfla

I would say that is very high BUT three things, what were the condition of the pieces you took??? and the rate of comparison (for me) is from stuff I had done by Advanced Plating in Nashville TN in 2015 "ish" as my base of reference!! I was not pleased with Advanced and their "customer service" but all in all did a nice job of plating and did re-chrome one item we were not pleased with...... BUT the "business" end of dealing with them was not "customer friendly". Third - what were the sizes? or bumpers off of?? You will need to send your chrome out of the state to get a better price and or service.....I have used Graves up in Northern Alabama and been happy with them......I also did use Paul's for one small Item/repair and was quite pleased with them as well. As FYI, a good quality Restoration shop here in Florida doesn't use any shops here in Florida for their chrome work SO........Seek further for your needs
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 02:52 PM   #4
Ford46

Chrome plating is and will continue to be an issue. State government and Federal EPA regulations have driven plating costs through the roof! That is of course passed on to the customer. Sadly, it is getting harder and harder to even find a company to do plating. Those that do....control the market and charge accordingly!
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 03:03 PM   #5
50fordcoupeman

Might want to give a call to Northwest Chrome Inc, New Plymouth Idaho, 208-278-5044. I was 100% pleased with their work.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 03:57 PM   #6
34fordy

I have a friend getting chrome re-plated in Iowa. The price seemed overwhelming. The shop told him if he would do the prep work, sanding it smoothly enough for the process the price was MUCH cheaper. Possibly if a person has the ability to do that, some shops might be agreeable. It looked like a lot of elbow grease to me! The quality of the final product would depend greatly on how well you did the prep work.
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:24 PM   #7
tom1948

To answer questions; the car is a 1948 Mercury coupe, the front bumper had some minor rust, the surround is nice(driver quality), the worst are the lower grilles( pitting, no breaks) and the park light bezels(also pitted) I may just have the parts done a piece at a time, but, that would require a lot of time and patience.
Old 06-09-2023, 06:20 AM   #8
richard crow

cost of plating, cost of painting, cost of interia, cost of tires, cost of eng rebuild, thats why its cheaper to buy one done
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:49 AM   #9
Model51

One way to look at the total price is to break it apart into the preparation (metal work) and plating. I had the two piece center hood trim for my '35 truck chromium plated by Wayne's Chrome in Fredericksburg, VA for $140. I did all the metal work myself (smooth mirror finish) and it took quite a long time (about 10 hours) filing and sanding it down. If I had that done at the plating shop for $75 per hour the total cost of the "plating" would have been $750 + $140 or $890. I suspect that many plating jobs are so expensive because of the amount of labor required to prepare the pieces prior to the plating process.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 07:52 AM   #10
rockfla

Toms1948
Do you mind sharing what chrome shop you went to??? I know a lot of people up this end of the state use Space Coast Plating....I have heard good and bad with them? I have not used them.....After hearing what you are needing plating and condition, the price doesn't seem quite as bad to me NOW with that said I would have to know or see the shops end product to determine if their work is deserving of their charge?? Just like paint jobs, with plating the work (and subsequent finish) is in the prep of the items!!! ALSO in the cost determinant is their process Hexavalant or Trivalant chroming process, one is much more costly than the other as well as produces a more desired end product.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:31 AM   #11
TJ

Plating diecast pieces is expensive Unfortunately the Merc has a lot of diecast. It's a delicate process and depending on the pits, it can take a lot of time to fill them before the plating goes on.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:29 AM   #12
Seth Swoboda

The facts are restoring our V8's, or any car for that matter, is becoming very expensive. Services like chrome plating are becoming hard to find. Interior upholstery shops are harder to find. When you find one, they are backed up for 6 months or longer. Our cars aren't worth a fraction of what a well done total restoration cost, unless you have a rare model.

The recent poll I conducted here on the barn will show that most folks will focus on maintaining the operating condition of their V8 as opposed to restoration.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 11:03 AM   #13
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
The recent poll I conducted here on the barn will show that most folks will focus on maintaining the operating condition of their V8 as opposed to restoration.

View Poll Results: Restoration or maintaining

Complete authentic restoration 18 - 33.33%

Maintaining 36 - 66.67%

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 11:05 AM   #14
Flathead Fever

I'm on a rant too. At least you would be getting something for your $5554.00, I live in a fire hazard area of SoCal. Last year State Farm doubled my house insurance. Yesterday the yearly bill came, they doubled it again, $6892.00. And If I want earthquake insurance that would be another $7000.00. People are always asking me why my collector car projects are not finished. It's because I live in CA!
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:11 PM   #15
35fordtn

A local friend restored a 1959 Caddilac total plating cost from advance plating for all the exterior and interior chrome was $42k. Paint Job and metal work cost him $64k Upholstery cost him $31k.. He paid 35k for the car has spent another 150k and still isnt finished. This hobby whether it's a Model A Ford or a Mustang or a Early V-8 is becoming unaffordable for the middle class younger crowd.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:39 PM   #16
Abe Lugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
I'm on a rant too. At least you would be getting something for your $5554.00, I live in a fire hazard area of SoCal. Last year State Farm doubled my house insurance. Yesterday the yearly bill came, they doubled it again, $6892.00. And If I want earthquake insurance that would be another $7000.00. People are always asking me why my collector car projects are not finished. It's because I live in CA!
THis is crazy!- at some point you can set up your own fire truck and pump for the perimeter on your property and still be cheaper than some of these BS insurances. Sorry man!!!

As far as Chrome, sometimes it easier to find very nice to ok originals and maintain, like some people are saying.

I paint up for the bumpers and guards on my Cadillac, with the "best" place LA, and it still had flaws. about 2200.00 maybe about 3 years ago. in Los Angeles. If the grille and bits were to be done, I would be gaining on that same price above.

BTW I recent saw a whole VERY nice front bumper with everything including rare front Lic. plate bracket for 500.000 shipped.
So weigh you options.

Maybe just clean up what you have and wait around a bit.
Abe Lugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:02 PM   #17
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
A local friend restored a 1959 Caddilac total plating cost from advance plating for all the exterior and interior chrome was $42k. Paint Job and metal work cost him $64k Upholstery cost him $31k.. He paid 35k for the car has spent another 150k and still isnt finished. This hobby whether it's a Model A Ford or a Mustang or a Early V-8 is becoming unaffordable for the middle class younger crowd.
AND these cost are IF you are lucky, IF you use "some" restoration shops you can double the cost you've posted here because a year later you have to have your car completely repainted as the paint job didn't last.....AND even double isn't enough to cover the redo price!!!!! ASK me how I know!!!

Last edited by rockfla; 06-09-2023 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:22 PM   #18
Seth Swoboda

Off topic but to Abe Lugo's point, my dad's neighbor lives on a large lot with lots of trees. Due to a parasitic wasp, Pin Oak trees are dying here in the mid-west. He had 4 large Pin Oaks that died. His mother was in the same situation. He was getting tree removal quotes of $5,000 and up, per tree. This guy bought a used forestry bucket truck and a chipper for the cost of paying someone to remove the trees. Now he has a weekend side hustle. You can charge so much before the enterprising person takes the job on themselves.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:32 PM   #19
rockfla

Seth
Also the reason why I have set my shop up to do ALL that I can do myself....Metal Fab, Machinist, polishing, welding, Fixing to set up a paint booth......Pay myself instead of someone else!!!! AND get a better attitude and finished product...Look forward to meeting face to face this Tuesday or Wednesday!!!
Old 06-09-2023, 02:44 PM   #20
19Fordy

rockfla is "the man".
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:04 PM   #21
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
rockfla is "the man".
Thanks 19Fordy, but far from that!!! Just making a living and having fun the best I can!!
Old 06-09-2023, 03:25 PM   #22
tom1948

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Seth
Also the reason why I have set my shop up to do ALL that I can do myself....Metal Fab, Machinist, polishing, welding, Fixing to set up a paint booth......Pay myself instead of someone else!!!! AND get a better attitude and finished product...Look forward to meeting face to face this Tuesday or Wednesday!!!
Hey rockfla, that was space coast plating in melbourne, I too, have done 90% of the work myself. the car was so far gone when I got it I switched plans and am making it a "high-end" street rod. I, at age 75 just feel more comfortable with my peers on this forum.