Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2023, 09:01 PM   #1
Model A Ron

Default LED Headlight for Halogen fitted Model A?????

My 29 Phaeton was fitted with Halogen headlights some time back and they work well but get rather hot. I would like to switch them to LED but I am not sure what LED bulb to use that would fit and work on a 6 volt system. Anyone run into this issue in the recent past?
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 09:37 PM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: LED Headlight for Halogen fitted Model A?????

Just to confirm, you’re looking for an LED headlight bulb that’s 6V but also fits the halogen plug? (It’s like a three-prong plug that I don’t know the name of)
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 11:22 PM   #3
31a

i just installed the LFD bulb in my headlight bucket not sure I understand your question. I removed everything out of the bucket then took the socket with the spring attached put the screw through the back of the bucket attached socket placed the reflector in the bucket and placed the bulb through the reflector into the socket. Hope that helps. don't touch the bulb with your hand pickup with a cloth
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 01:28 AM   #4
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31a View Post
i just installed the LFD bulb in my headlight bucket not sure I understand your question. I removed everything out of the bucket then took the socket with the spring attached put the screw through the back of the bucket attached socket placed the reflector in the bucket and placed the bulb through the reflector into the socket. Hope that helps. don't touch the bulb with your hand pickup with a cloth
That applies to a halogen globe but I don't think it applies to a LED. The reason is that the halogen globe gets very hot and grease from a finger print on the globe will eventually cause it to break. I know that for a fact. Since a LED globe uses so little power and doesn't get anywhere near so hot, they are safe to handle from what I've been told. If they are fitted with a heat sink, that's a different matter.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:56 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Colin is correct in that no one makes a direct fit to the halogen equipped reflector. IMO, you will want to convert to the replacement reflector that is manufactured per the Ford blueprint that has the aluminized finish which has the correct parabolic shape. The better parts vendors carry those.

Ron, if you are ordering Model-T parts from Langs, they also sell a set of LED lights that are a copy of the Logo-Lites. Their pricing is good on those. Also as stated above, these new LED bulbs aren't sensitive to fingerprint oils like the Halogen bulbs were. Probably doesn't hurt if you want to be cautious and use a tissue when installing the LEDs, -but definitely not necessary.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 08:25 AM   #6
jack backer
BANNED

I put LEDS in ole model A halogen reflectors, works fantastic.. my car is 12v
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66C46E03-92E5-49B1-9417-0176BEACA7B1.jpg (77.9 KB, 34 views)
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:02 AM   #7
Y-Blockhead

The new Logo Lite LED headlights don't use the reflector so if you can get them to fit an old reflector they should work fine.

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:03 PM   #8
ModelA29

My car had halogen. I had to replace the sockets and reflectors to use the LED ones. Logo Lites advises touching the aluminum parts of the bulbs only.

Handle by base or aluminum housing only.Touching the LEDs drastically shortens their life span.
Normally,the mark on the LED bulb should be up.If high and low beams are backwards, reverse the bulb so the mark is down.
https://www.logolites.com/products/led-headlights-and-bulbs/led-headlights/original-led-headlights/
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:54 PM   #9
Y-Blockhead

I was referring to the new focused beam Logo Lites LED that do not need the reflectors or adjustment. https://www.logolites.com/products/l...ed-headlights/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED.jpg (13.9 KB, 243 views)
Old 05-05-2023, 04:47 PM   #10
jack backer
BANNED

You can buy H-4 LED lamps.. they are leds designed to fit a halogen socket. Model A reflectors were offered to fit halogen bulbs at one time, you don’t need logo lites if you run a 12v system.. mine put out 8000 lumens..
Old 05-05-2023, 06:04 PM   #11
Y-Blockhead

I run my turn signals in the headlight buckets so the Focused Beam Logo Lite LEDs are a benefit for me as the amber turn signal uses the reflector but the Logo Lite does not. It actully flashes amber on the ground in front of the car.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turn.jpg (85.4 KB, 222 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 05-05-2023 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:21 PM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Ron, if you are ordering Model-T parts from Langs, they also sell a set of LED lights that are a copy of the Logo-Lites. Their pricing is good on those.
Brent, do you know if the LEDs from Lang's will fit into the Model A light socket? If so, that is a $30 savings for a pair.

Update: I think I just answered my own question, Snyder's has the same part number for the Model A and Model T.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 05-05-2023 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 07:49 PM   #13
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack backer View Post
I put LEDS in ole model A halogen reflectors, works fantastic.. my car is 12v
What LED Bulb number did you use and who did you get it from? I know I can go back to stock reflectors but I do not want to spend the money on that as all I need to do is find a LED bulb that will work with the halogen reflectors and plugs. Only difference for me is I am running a 6 volt system.
Old 05-05-2023, 07:52 PM   #14
Model A Ron

Thumbs up Re: LED Headlight for Halogen fitted Model A?????

Quote:
Colin is correct in that no one makes a direct fit to the halogen equipped reflector. IMO, you will want to convert to the replacement reflector that is manufactured per the Ford blueprint that has the aluminized finish which has the correct parabolic shape. The better parts vendors carry those.

Ron, if you are ordering Model-T parts from Langs, they also sell a set of LED lights that are a copy of the Logo-Lites. Their pricing is good on those. Also as stated above, these new LED bulbs aren't sensitive to fingerprint oils like the Halogen bulbs were. Probably doesn't hurt if you want to be cautious and use a tissue when installing the LEDs, -but definitely not necessary.
Brent
Nice find on the Lang's price.....I think I will order a set for my 1915 Model T Touring.....Thanks
Old 05-05-2023, 07:59 PM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Brent, do you know if the LEDs from Lang's will fit into the Model A light socket? If so, that is a $30 savings for a pair.

Update: I think I just answered my own question, Snyder's has the same part number for the Model A and Model T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
Brent
Nice find on the Lang's price.....I think I will order a set for my 1915 Model T Touring.....Thanks
The deal is the Model-T requires the lamp to be rotated 90° which there are little Phillips-head screws.

Ron, look at your reflectors to make sure your sockets will take the two contact LED bulbs. The original 1915 sockets used one contact since they were Magneto bulbs that were wired in Series. The reflector can be changed to the double contact, but just be aware. On my '15, I have the original headlight switch wired where both contacts in the bulb illuminate at the same time.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:25 PM   #16
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
The deal is the Model-T requires the lamp to be rotated 90° which there are little Phillips-head screws.
Yes the LED's come with an allen wrench so you can rotate the base to position the bulb in different sockets.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Allen.jpg (10.9 KB, 198 views)
Old 05-06-2023, 12:35 AM   #17
CarlG

Several years ago (about 10) I bought a kit from JDMastar that fit my H4 Halogen reflectors. It wasn't cheap, but they have been great. At the time Logo hadn't come out with anything, and when they did they didn't hold a candle (pun intended) to what I have. Not sure about Logo's second generation.

I also installed this same kit in another car in our club.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 04:30 AM   #18
jack backer
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
What LED Bulb number did you use and who did you get it from? I know I can go back to stock reflectors but I do not want to spend the money on that as all I need to do is find a LED bulb that will work with the halogen reflectors and plugs. Only difference for me is I am running a 6 volt system.
https://www.google.com/search?q=h4%2...xZ7JbUMQP69xTM

This style fits the halogen reflector, Amazon has a large selection of manufacturers to pick from.My car is 12v neg ground that I custom wired.The beauty of LEDs is not only the light emitted but the low draw,you have extra ampacity for other components..if your running 6v and a generator these lights won’t work for you.
Old 05-06-2023, 03:22 PM   #19
Model A Ron

Quote:

Ron, look at your reflectors to make sure your sockets will take the two contact LED bulbs. The original 1915 sockets used one contact since they were Magneto bulbs that were wired in Series. The reflector can be changed to the double contact, but just be aware. On my '15, I have the original headlight switch wired where both contacts in the bulb illuminate at the same time.
Thanks Brent as I need to take a look. My 15 is running a 12 volt system so I liked the fact that the Lang's LED's worked on 6 or 12.
Old 05-06-2023, 04:24 PM   #20
Gene F

So the verdict on the LogoLites is what?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote