Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2023, 03:43 PM   #1341
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Woofa, what kind of new car did you get? I'm interested because I certainly DO NOT WANT ONE LIKE IT!!!

I took short naps almost every day during lunch break at work, and always felt god afterward. At 86 years of age, I still do, and still enjoy them!
I'll divulge the motorcars manufacturer in an email to you. However I reckon they are all the same. An earlier (used) RAV4 would have been a better buy.
Yes, I too enjoy a scan.
(Senior Citizens Afternoon Nap)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 10:12 PM   #1342
woofa.express

The continuing story of the Nerd Motorcar.

I’ve had comments back and they all confirm my thoughts. Here they are, firstly from Ken who is an Australian resident presently on holiday in England.
I loved you story Gary,
I can empathise with you as we are in England driving a new hire car and it’s driving me crazy. It must have a tiny flywheel as it almost stall every time I pull away in first gear and has all the vices you listed.
The only good thing is the fuel economy we regularly achieve more than 60 mpg and it’s quite a large car.
However I still hate it!
I laughed too at the lack of recall on an A model.
I had a really good look (for the 1st time I must say) under the bonnet of my car just this week, mainly because the dashboard (is it still called that)was telling me that the window washer was low on water. Well I looked, and looked, and didnt recognise a thing.
No glass top fuel pump, distributor, plug leads, not even a power steering pump--thats now electric.. Found a black plastic box though---hey, theres where the battery is..
Wonder if I would get a buyer on gumtree for my feeler gauges.
I have heard horror stories about new cars under warranty BUT unable to be repaired. One friend (pharmacist) had a new VW but electrical/computer problems defeated the repairers. He sold and bought a BMW. Another acquaintance loved BMW station wagons. His latest had transmission problems unable to be repaired and while still under warranty he sold (losing big money) and decided to go Subaru. Both these manufacturers (probably others as well) send faulty cars that come off the assembly line straight to the crusher. They don’t recycle valuable body parts, windscreens, doors etc for fear of their brand getting a bad reputation.

One of my offspring said “get yourself an upmarket new luxury car. You can afford it! Don’t be seen driving that old shit.” I replied “there’s two reasons why I wouldn’t do that. (1) I don’t want one. (2) if I did, it’d come out of your inheritance.” I never heard him say that again.

Sometimes I forget things.

Old 06-29-2023, 05:36 AM   #1343
woofa.express

I believe they should have refunded their phoney charge..

I went into business during the autumn of 1980 and needed a ute. I placed an order for a Holden 1 tonner with a wooden tray. Because it was to tow a trailer and sometimes a heavy trailer I paid a premium for a V8. And another premium for a 4 speed gearbox; about $700 I remember. After taking delivery I was reading a sales broacher and I read a 4 speed box was standard equipment with a V8 so I called Holden and requested a refund which was declined on each of the several calls I made. I was fairly persistent. Trunk calls were expensive those days and we were billed for each 3 minute segment we were connected. The number of such calls with their lengthy duration seemed like that took an additional $700 as well. I spoke to the P.R. man whose name was Mr Hobbs. He simply could not see my logic. I put things to him such as why did you not charge me for the 2 doors to which he responded, of course, that’s standard equipment to which I retorted you say the 4 speed box is also standard. We don’t pay additional for you standard doors so why for you standard gearbox. Well it was futile.
I recently heard his name on a radio broadcast so he is still there. I’ve twice written to ask if he, after all these years could see the error he made as you’d expect I have had no answer. I think I might just address that letter to Detroit. I’ll include a photo of my new VW Tiguan and point out it is my 14th new car since that incident and not one has been a Holden.
The picture is the same specimen, a 1 tonne, but different colour. Now you just wait until you read my next story in a few days. You’ll have a good laugh.

For readers who don’t know who Holden are-
Holden, formerly known as General Motors-Holden, was an Australian subsidiary company of General Motors. It was an Australian automobile manufacturer, importer, and exporter which sold cars under its own marque in Australia. In its last three years, it switched entirely to importing cars. Wikipedia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 20.24.41.jpg (19.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 06-29-2023 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2023, 05:25 PM   #1344
woofa.express

This is a “no prejudiced” story.

A recall to address a problem.
I have a friend who works for a once Holden dealer. My friend tells me this story.
Amongst the Holden ute range was the Colorado. Owners had been complaining it uses too much oil so Holden addressed this problem. They were provided with a longer dip stick.!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 08.10.41.jpg (20.5 KB, 5 views)

Old 07-15-2023, 02:19 PM   #1345
woofa.express

I write for the local flying club and here is one article on Travel. I might include a few of these as there seems to be some interest in flying by many of our readers.

One thing I shall never forget about Japan.

I had never been to Japan and really had no need or desire to. That is not intended to degrade nor demean the country. I like their motor cars and electronic stuff and I have liked the few Japanese individuals I have met. However there simply was nothing that Japan and I have in common.
Out of the blue one morning my son said “want to come to Osaka for an overnight dad?” As I’d never been to Japan I accepted of course. 10pm we were there.
It was a big airliner and most characteristics were the same as my ag planes. Except turning around at the threshold of the runway. Now that surprised me. I didn’t think that could be done and when we in the front were off the bitumen I thought we would sink into the wet ground. We were seated Infront of the nose wheel of course.
Of Japan I had no preconceived ideas of what to expect but I got no surprises. An upmarket hotel, crowded trains and city and pebble beach. And the people? Well I couldn’t converse with them so learned very little. Except for one enlightening, here below.
One thing I shall never forget. The dunny. Asians like to wash following calls from nature. They use a hose and left hand and left hand because they eat with their right. Frequently they squat on western toilets and leave foot marks and water on the seat. But not at the hotel we stayed. Here when one had finished one could have a wash and dry. For as long or short a time as one desired. Temperature to ones choosing. It must have an eye in the bowl because the warm jet of water hit in the close proximity to where it was needed but if it did miss the target one could make adjustment simply by making a small change to one’s seated position. The functions on the control panel were numerous and one could wash genitals as well but I think this was meant for the girls.
The control panel porcelain throne below.

----------------------
Other things I recall was the orderly manner of people and crowds. No litter. No graffiti. People sleeping on the train to town, even short sectors. Sky was grey but not smoggy like Hong Kong.
I have spent 40 years aerial sowing rice in Australia. Paddock size varied from small to 400 acres. Well those Japanese with small back yards even 10x10 yards were growing although I did see perhaps two paddocks of about fifty acres.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 05.08.43.jpg (17.1 KB, 14 views)

Old 07-29-2023, 03:58 PM   #1346
woofa.express

Another story I wrote for the local aeroclub. I know some readers in this forum are pilots and some may well have flown into Narita. You should find this story somewhat amusing.

Narita Airport, Tokyo.
Narita is one of 2 international airports at Tokyo and is Japan’s largest international airport. This story originated from a discussion I had with a pilot who frequents Narita.
He told me of a house in the middle of the manoeuvring area. The owner apparently refused to move when the airport was built unless he had an apology from the emperor. The pilot telling me this declined to write this story so I’ve gone to the internet and yes it confirmed. There is also 5 farms, some positioned between taxiways. I have acquired these pictures from the internet.

I have copied a comment from a Facebook subscriber, here it is below. I saw some humour in it. It has small print thus difficult to read so I have retyped it for you.

As a Russian, I’m surprised that farm standing against the government wasn’t completely burned down by a mysterious wildfire that absolutely on one know how happened. That would be a terrible coincidence.

@Smirnaffskiy
2 years ago (edited)
As a Russian, I'm surprised that farm standing against the government wasn't completely burnt down by a mysterious wildfire that absolutely no one knows how happened. That would be a terrible coincidence
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 06.28.27.jpg (20.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 06.26.22.jpg (19.9 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 07-29-2023 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2023, 02:42 PM   #1347
woofa.express

We all know a magician’s tricks are not magic but illusion. And we also know governments world wide are masters at this. In the case of China their government in this case. It’s not only of illusion but wastage as well which is appalling. Electric vehicles in this case. The video clip below will amaze you all if you have not already seen it. Let me make it clear; this is not a political statement.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r...zvV1zlxqpx.mp4

Old 08-10-2023, 01:39 AM   #1348
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
This is a “no prejudiced” story.

A recall to address a problem.
I have a friend who works for a once Holden dealer. My friend tells me this story.
Amongst the Holden ute range was the Colorado. Owners had been complaining it uses too much oil so Holden addressed this problem. They were provided with a longer dip stick.!
Actually, this may make sense! If the oil level is too high, the crank and rods may splash through the oil, throwing too much onto the cylinder walls for the rings to keep up. Modifying the dipstick to read "FULL" at a lower level will keep the crank from splashing oil onto the cylinders!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 01:43 PM   #1349
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Actually, this may make sense! If the oil level is too high, the crank and rods may splash through the oil, throwing too much onto the cylinder walls for the rings to keep up. Modifying the dipstick to read "FULL" at a lower level will keep the crank from splashing oil onto the cylinders!
Good morning 40 Deluxe. Morning here where I live anyway.
Well your explanation does make sense. I wonder if the owners of that vehicle were given an explanation with the new longer dipstick? cheers, gary

Old 08-11-2023, 10:50 AM   #1350
Jim Brierley

Some years ago LAX was getting noise complaints from their neighbors, so they bought all of them out West of the airport to the sea and North to the highway, by eminent domain. They also spent a fortune sound proofing houses on the South side.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 03:30 PM   #1351
woofa.express

Again from my writing in our local flying Club.

What I say when compared to another pilot?

This is one quote I never miss the opportunity to drop.
You are discussing with a farmer the paddock to spray. Farmer informs you that pilot Bob does things this way or that way. Farmer has chucked you a challenge because Jack has pleased the farmer. I’ll make the point by an example.
Sometime in the early 80’s I was to spray cereal for the late Allan Hawkins at Tocumwal. The paddock had a kidney shaped lagoon on the north and Allan asked if I could start at the lagoon , working south maintaining the curve I’d track on the first run. That is to continue to fly the curve. I respond by saying to Allan well I’m not that good but I can maintain straight line between the markers, starting with two short runs, getng longer until they meet.
Well that didn’t seem to please Allan and he informed me the last bloke I’d sent there could maintain a curve, and in this very same paddock. “who was he I enquired. “Came from Victoria somewhere in Gippsland.
Maybe Bob Lansbury I said.
“Yes, yes, that’s the bloke” Allan responded.
Now here comes my punch line. And I love to quote it.
“but Bob’s a much better pilot than me”.
It just kills the farmers point of view and generally ends with a laugh or chuckle from the farmer who knows he has made himself look a bit foolish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 06.27.53.jpg (13.6 KB, 2 views)

Old 09-08-2023, 07:25 PM   #1352
woofa.express

Why?

The A is my favourite motorcar and just looking at it pleases me and even as a kid I longed to own one. Now I do. However you will notice I write many non Model A stories.
So let me tell you the background to all this other stuff. Two other childhood aspirations I had was to drive a locomotive but that faded after I had a ride in an aeroplane, I was about 8 or 9 at the time. From then on my direction was focused.
Well I still had about 10 years of schooling to complete. Bugger. I didn’t enjoy it; my mind was on aeroplanes. Immediately school finished I took a high paying labouring job, paid for flying lessons achieved a pilot licence. I set myself up for life in a job that lasted 53 years.
Now back to schooling. I was tops at maths but continually failed English and I flunked the national junior certificate for not achieving the minimum pass of 30. Writing in this Model A forum has greatly improved my poor English skill and I feel I have informed even entertained many readers. My first start was here in the Model A forum and I have even enjoyed writing. So that is why I have written on many topics.

I also enjoy outback and remote country and likewise it’s people. That’s where one finds many characters and where people form strong communities. I did start out to tell you of a large earth drawing or geoglyph in the outback measuring 3 miles head to toe. Whilst I have a photo of this I have a found a better picture on the internet.
It's known as the Marree Man, named after the town of Marree, (population less than 100) which is 44 miles to the west and an early depot for Afghans who drove camel caravans to northern Australia making freight deliveries. However just who made this early drawing remains unknown. The theory as to who it may be is quite interesting in itself, so here goes.

1. Bardius Goldberg. The only artist that was ever really associated with the Marree Man was Bardius Goldberg. He was known for his work that was visible from space
2. American origins? One of the most popular theories is that the Marree Man has American roots.
3. He thinks it was the work of the "Adelaide establishment" – figures within the SA government and business community - in an attempt to raise the state's global profile.
4. Some blokes standing around a government department or university who had access to GPS software said: 'Let's go out and test this stuff.'" GPS was not available to the public when this was drawn.
5. Theories about is origins include it being a parting gift from the US military that trained in the nearby Woomera Prohibited Area alongside Australian forces. Other suggestions have included that it was the work of Aboriginal artists.

It is said the artists had stated they would divulge themselves at the opening of the Sydney Olympics in the year 2000 but this didn’t turn out so.

When this art was first discovered a Sydney entrepreneur offered a $5k reward to identify but nothing was forthcoming. So who was the artist? It’s quite possible we will never know.

Below is 2 pictures of Marree and 1 of the man in question.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 10.12.43.jpg (20.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 10.11.20.jpg (20.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 10.08.18.jpg (16.0 KB, 18 views)

Old 10-09-2023, 01:37 PM   #1353
woofa.express

Many readers may well have noticed I have written fewer stories of late because I am running short on what to write about. However my enthusiasm for my A's nor for writing has not declined. And my memory does need prompting.
I am sure many of you could relate to this story that follows.
Kids are embarrassed with their parents.

My daughter Sarah had many friends come to stay with us at our small country town home. Many were urban kids and it wouldn’t take too long for them to ask if I could take them for a ride in my old car, which was my 28 Tourer (Phaeton). They would all pile in and we were frequently overloaded. We would drive up the town centre and if we saw any boys or young men I’d give the klaxon a blast and the girls wave like crazy. Then we’d drive up the road heading out of town and with oncoming cars I’d flash the lights and again give the klaxon a blast and the girls would wave as if we knew them. As these cars passed us one could see the quite confused looks on their faces. My passengers would be excited but Sarah would shrink down under the seat and yell for me to stop it. She’d give me another blast when we returned home.
Was I the only parent who embarrassed their kids? No I don’t think so but I did enjoy doing it.

My 28 Tourer in which the visiting kids would request a ride. This picture appeared in the Victorian Model A Club’s 2022 calendar. It was shot at the state of New South Wales and the state of Victoria is over the river the bridge leads to.
Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 05.34.21.jpg

Old 10-09-2023, 11:04 PM   #1354
oldspert

It was Easter weekend 1960 and my dad was working on a gas plant in Alvin Texas. He was a welder by trade. My mom, myself and younger brother was going to see dad for the weekend so I left my 29 Model A coupe with my sister. On Sunday evening when we returned and drove up to my sisters house, my jaw dropped. My car had burned to the ground. Sister was no where to be found so we started looking. Seemed she was going to drive it to the grocery and it spit back through the carb and it lit up like a country church. Being that I was only 16 and a sophomore, I never thought the slight leak at the carb would be any problem but I was wrong. Found my sis at her in-laws crying and sobbing about my car but what was done was done. Learned from my mistake at an early age.

Last edited by oldspert; 10-10-2023 at 09:33 AM.
oldspert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 03:39 PM   #1355
woofa.express

President Hoovers home in West Australia.

It's well known and belonged to Mr (at the time) Hoover. Take a gander, it's still maintained, it is in good condition and of course novel. The link is below-

https://www.escape.com.au/destinatio...d6deacb497fc32

At Gwalia, an abandoned gold mining town in West Australia.It’s an upmarket house operating today as a "bed and breakfast". A typical Australian home and the article features a nice old hotel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 07.31.18.jpg (21.1 KB, 7 views)

Old 10-20-2023, 03:46 PM   #1356
woofa.express

This is not to be interpreted as a political statement.

Big money in Australia almost always is found in the inner city of each state capital. It has always always been predictable which way these folk would vote but it looks like they have changed sides of late. It seems they wish to be seen as saving the planet. The media have coined a new name for the residential location of these dwellers. They call it the Tesla Zone.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:09 PM   #1357
woofa.express

I've always enjoyed communicating with Bill Williamson and enjoyed his humour but now he is not collecting my emails. Is he ill or quietly passed. Hope not.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:47 PM   #1358
rfitzpatrick

Have you ever noticed? There must be a connection between Model A's and Airplanes. I'm acft mechanic retire 41 years aviation, I drive '31 Budd Cab
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 08:58 PM   #1359
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
I've always enjoyed communicating with Bill Williamson and enjoyed his humour but now he is not collecting my emails. Is he ill or quietly passed. Hope not.
He passed away several years ago.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 05:55 PM   #1360
woofa.express

Hi Jim. I hadn't replied because your question hadn't come to my attention. Sorry.
A VW Tiguan. I've had several VW's in the past and have always been happy with them- but not any more. Drives and rides well but complex in electrical toys of which it needs very few. With the functions on steering wheel and dash I would think there would be more than 100 including sub-menus. I am not really that interested in knowing what they all do. The kids (and adults) who walk around with their head in an electronic devise would love it. My 30 year old Landcruiser is easier because it has only 1 electronic gadget and that is the radio and I can manage that.