Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2021, 10:31 PM   #1
Will D

Default PCV valve placement C59A

Hi guys, I removed my intake to clean it up and add a pcv valve. My manifold has the oil filler tube on the front right side so I was going to remove it and add a blank plate with the pcv valve. Upon removing the intake I discovered a blank drillable spot at the rear left side of the manifold that would work perfectly and I could maintain the oil filler tube.

Based on existing and recommended setups, is it a bad idea to try and place the pcv valve at the rear of the manifold by the inlet. Will that negatively affect flow? Does the air inlet actually flow straight down to the crankcase so the air should flow fine whether the pcv is at the front or rear?

If a bad idea, any clue as to what that space might(white arrow) have been for?

Existing setup.

What seems to be the trend.

Can I do this?

Intake manifold in question.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210118_190504.jpg (50.1 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 20210118_184038.jpg (42.3 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 20210118_190254.jpg (38.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 20210118_092224_resized_2.jpg (45.2 KB, 105 views)
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:38 AM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: PCV valve placement C59A

Hey Will....I have one of those Canadian manifolds, NOS. I like them for a couple of reasons. They're aluminum, and I like that oil-fill port toward the front.

Here's what I think I would do. Attempt to find a 'male' threaded PCV valve that will thread into that threaded vacuum hole just below the carb mounting surface. Hopefully you'll be able to find one with a 3/8" barb-type tube on the other end. I would drill and tap that "WHITE ARROW" pad and tap for 1/4" NPT. Thread-into that hole a 3/8" compression x 1/4" NPT - manifold fitting. From that fitting, you can run and bend a piece of 3/8" copper tubing using a ferrule, to the barbed fitting below the carburetor with a short (1-1/4" or so) piece of rubber tubing. It will end-up very clean looking, somewhat SIMILAR to the PCV Valve set-up we just did on an 8BA (which breathes somewhat differently than your early set-up. Our PCV valve is hidden just inside that rear vent/fill tube which keeps it hidden, yet easily serviceable without removing the manifold.

And yes, I would block-off that rear vent, and have fresh air enter through that front fill tube. You want the fresh air charge to travel essentially the full length of the crankcase, hopefully voiding the entire crankcase of yucky stuff rather than just a quick U-turn at one end. Just remember....what the hell do I know? DD

A link to our 8BA project if you're interested, below!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284487

Our recent set-up....example picture!

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
glennpm

Hi,

I put a PCV valve on my 59A as shown in this thread in the same area as you plan.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...&postcount=102

A larger flow capacity using a threaded Chevy PCV can be found here:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...&postcount=105

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/pcv-systems-revisted-with-more-questions.55422/#post-12322077

Last edited by glennpm; 01-21-2021 at 07:27 AM. Reason: fix link
glennpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:44 AM   #4
1 Raggedy Ride

Will, I'm in the process of installing a "adjustable" P.C.V. valve on my 8ba. You might want to take a look at this valve, at their site: www.mewagner.com When I bought my adjustable valve & adapter from them, I don't think they had any flathead engines shown on their site, with there valve being installed... I'll post some photos, when completed. later this week...
Old 01-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #5
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

Hey Will....I have one of those Canadian manifolds, NOS. I like them for a couple of reasons. They're aluminum, and I like that oil-fill port toward the front.

Here's what I think I would do. Attempt to find a 'male' threaded PCV valve that will thread into that threaded vacuum hole just below the carb mounting surface. Hopefully you'll be able to find one with a 3/8" barb-type tube on the other end. I would drill and tap that "WHITE ARROW" pad and tap for 1/4" NPT. Thread-into that hole a 3/8" compression x 1/4" NPT - manifold fitting. From that fitting, you can run and bend a piece of 3/8" copper tubing using a ferrule, to the barbed fitting below the carburetor with a short (1-1/4" or so) piece of rubber tubing. It will end-up very clean looking, somewhat SIMILAR to the PCV Valve set-up we just did on an 8BA (which breathes somewhat differently than your early set-up. Our PCV valve is hidden just inside that rear vent/fill tube which keeps it hidden, yet easily serviceable without removing the manifold.

And yes, I would block-off that rear vent, and have fresh air enter through that front fill tube. You want the fresh air charge to travel essentially the full length of the crankcase, hopefully voiding the entire crankcase of yucky stuff rather than just a quick U-turn at one end. Just remember....what the hell do I know? DD

A link to our 8BA project if you're interested, below!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284487

Our recent set-up....example picture!

Nice looking setup Coop.

I am still running the mechanical fuel pump. I was going to seal off that breather and run a tube from the air filter into it. Are you suggesting to block the breather over the pump and I could run the tube from the air filter to the front oil fill tube? So the incoming air is filtered.

My worry with setting it up like I showed in the last pic was the air would flow in and back directly thru the pcv instead of flowing all the way down and circulating thru the crankcase before flowing back up thru the pcv.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #6
Will D

I guess I could just put a air filter cap on the oil filler tube....
Old 01-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D View Post
I guess I could just put a air filter cap on the oil filler tube....
I just assumed that was what you had....a breathable cap on the front oil-fill tube. That way, the air will enter the front end of engine and facilitate the longest path through the crankcase toward that rear location at the white arrow. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote