Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2020, 06:10 PM   #21
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Tighten the 21" rims straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Dyna beads go inside the tire and find their own balance. They will not correct for run out though.

Bent spokes can be straitened a number of ways but it generally takes a solid mounted hub to work a wheel in a press for best run out. during the process of straightening a person can bend a spoke pretty easy but as mentioned before, the stretch has to be relieved by shrinking with a torch.

A bent rim is another story. They are much more difficult to straighten. There were tools to do such work back in the spoke wheel era.

Here is an example: http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/wheelstraightener.htm

You are correct however please allow me to share this.

Before I purchased my old BeeLine straightener, I was fairly successful in using a chassis (-complete car or just chassis) to mount the wheel on. I would use a hydraulic floor jack under the front axle to barely lift the mounted wheel's rim off of the concrete. A beverage can on the floor close to the rim would indicate lateral run-out, -and a non-concentric wheel (egg-shaped) rim would be seen by the changing distance from the concrete as it was spun on the front hub. Often times I would use the weight of the chassis to my advantage when shrinking the X spokes to bring the rim back to round. Just let the out-of-round area of the rim set on the concrete in the worst area and when the spokes were shrunk, it would assist the movement, Most rims are almost always moved away from the hub cap side of the hub on lateral alignment. A strategically placed hydraulic bottle jack and a few blocks of wood can be used to push against the frame adding pressure ever so slightly to the rim while shrinking the A-1022-* Outer Spoke(s).

My past experiences say it can be done in a home shop without a press however it just takes longer and is WAY more aggravating. My straightener has all kinds of tooling to straighten edges of rims, move spokes, and place compression in multiple areas and all this really does is just make the process go much faster. I hope this gives a little motivation to at least try it on the worst wheel.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book2.jpg (58.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Book4.jpg (58.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7170.jpg (65.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7171.jpg (60.1 KB, 39 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:57 AM   #22
Werner

Default Re: Tighten the 21" rims straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
Thanks Synchro [? Name]Yes, you are right! That's why I'll now try the miracle pearls myself. I will report on it when I have driven enough.
Hallo und guten Tag!

I have tried the miracle pills in the meantime, although I don't believe in miracles. The result is interesting!

The wheels almost always run much better without restlessness. Occasionally a bit of restlessness can be felt after driving starts. But never more without pearls than before.

The smoothness on short bumpy roads is very noticeable. You drive over them as if they were smooth.

My conclusion: yes, the pearls really help. I would use it again in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200910_210304785.jpg (53.0 KB, 10 views)

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)