Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
JohnI

Cool chroming

I have a 1934 Ford original woody, and I dinged up the remanufactured front bumper. I still have the original bumper in the barn but it's pretty rusty. I'd like to have it cleaned up and chromed. Any suggestions of a good chroming outfit preferable in the Northeast and what I should ask for?
JohnI
JohnI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: chroming

Are you looking to have a "Shop" handle "ALL" the work start to finish OR are you wanting to maybe save some money and do some of the clean and prep work yourself before you send it to be chromed??? I'm sure there will be plenty from the Northeast here on the barn with recommendations....You want a triple plating process....copper, nickle, then chrome for the best result!!! Which most shops do....but the money is in the prep work!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
slug

Custom Chrome in Grafton Ohio will do the best work you can find. John
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
revkev6

sorry, not too much help here. last time I had some chrome work done was 25 years ago but there were a couple decent shops to chose from around hartford ct. east hartford if I remember correctly.
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
DavidG

Excellent work but oh so expensive. Try A-W Custom Chrome in Eastpointe, MI (Detroit suburb), Outstanding work at reasonable prices (by today's plating standards). If you are in a hurry, they aren't a good choice as their backlog is presently about five months (which is a statement on their workmanship).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:03 PM   #6
fordv8j

Custom Chrome in Grafton Ohio did some chrome for our 38 conv. cp, a really good job
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:11 PM   #7
Newc

Just a comment... Our State Government is trying to shut down all Chrome platters in Oregon. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
fordor41

pauls chrome evans city, pa
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #9
swanwaco32

Custom Chrome..
swanwaco32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #10
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Just a comment... Our State Government is trying to shut down all Chrome platters in Oregon. Newc
The heavy metals problem is real and the regulations on holding the containment and getting rid of residual contaminates is getting more expensive every year. If it ever gets to the point where the overhead is too high (which is getting closer) and the end work is too expensive to keep customers bringing in business, then the business will die off. Sad but true.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #11
revkev6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The heavy metals problem is real and the regulations on holding the containment and getting rid of residual contaminates is getting more expensive every year. If it ever gets to the point where the overhead is too high (which is getting closer) and the end work is too expensive to keep customers bringing in business, then the business will die off. Sad but true.
no it won't. maybe for show chrome but I work in an aerospace machine shop and almost everything we touch gets plated
Old 11-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #12
rotorwrench

I guess it will last as long as there are Saudi princes and guys like Donald Trump around for the gold, silver, & chrome. Some folks can afford it for interior furnishings. I've been in aviation for many years and I've seen a lot of changes there too so don't be surprised if you experience the same thing. Most hardware stuff in aviation is type II cadmium and that stuff can be farmed out to 3rd world countries pretty easy. Turbine helicopters used to be plentiful in general aviation but now only the high rollers can afford them.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #13
revkev6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I guess it will last as long as there are Saudi princes and guys like Donald Trump around for the gold, silver, & chrome. Some folks can afford it for interior furnishings. I've been in aviation for many years and I've seen a lot of changes there too so don't be surprised if you experience the same thing. Most hardware stuff in aviation is type II cadmium and that stuff can be farmed out to 3rd world countries pretty easy.
we do lots of hot side turbine engine parts... most are nickle or chrome plated. 90% of these processes the vendors are required to be on an approved list by the customer as well. We also have military parts which cannot be farmed out to another country. going on 18 years here myself
Old 11-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #14
rotorwrench

My partner has been in aviation since the 50s and his specialty was channel chrome cylinder plating. He is 84 now and still building the occasional aircraft engine but not with chrome or even nickel bores any more. They used to have no less than three cylinder shops here in San Antonio but now there all gone. One of the old locations and a portion of the airbase out at the old Kelly AFB are super fund sites to be cleaned up for this stuff. General aviation has been affected terribly by the prices to make all these parts. The military & security, airlines, offshore, and air ambulance will be around as long as we need them but the prices will keep going up until technology changes. An aircraft that used to cost $50K is near $2Mil now and that is just in the space of 40 to 50-years.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #15
G.M.

The bright shinny finish depends on how well the part is
polished before being electro chemical plated. The polished
part before being plated looks like it was already chromed.
G.M.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #16
Bubsyouruncle

Copper
Nickle
Chrome.
In that order.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #17
johnboy34

And your original bent and rusty bumper will have a lot of prep work $$$ ! Have you considered just getting another repro bumper and being done with it in a week?
johnboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote