Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2023, 02:54 PM   #1
Stingray70

Default Door handle replacement

Hey guys. I recently got a set of nicely restored original door handles to replace the reproduction ones on my coupe. Before I open the proverbial can of worms, what is the process for removal & installation? These are the 2 exterior door handles only. Do the door panels need to come off?
Thx
Old 01-13-2023, 06:47 PM   #2
bruceincam

Default Re: Door handle replacement

Nope, door panels don't need to be removed. The process is pretty simple; the execution can be trying. Remove both exterior screws that hold the handle on. Once the screws are removed and without pulling on the handle yet, rotate the handle about 45 deg toward the front. Once you have the handle in this position, pull slowly toward you. If you're in the right spot, the handle will come out. The handle shaft behind the door is square and it has to come out through a similar square hole in the door panel. If you can imagine that the door handle has been removed and then look into the opening in the door, that square hole in the door panel will look like a diamond. You rotate the door handle shaft 45 deg forward so that it will match the position of that square hole in the door panel. If the door handle doesn't want to come out, rotate it a bit back and forth while pulling at the same time and you should be able to match the shaft to that hole and pull the old handle out. Installing the new handle is the reverse of this process. While it's simple to make that statement, it's not always that easy.

Once you have the old handle out, examine both shafts closely ---- before you try to install the new one, try to get your new shaft to match the one you just took out. If they match exactly, you ought to be in good shape. If they don't, you'll have to do some minor surgery to get them to closely match so the new handle will fit back where the old one came out. It can be tedious. Watch any Youtube videos that you can find before you start. Don't be surprised if it takes several hours of careful filing and shaping before the new one fits.

Hope I've helped --- sorry if I haven't.
bruceincam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:49 PM   #3
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: Door handle replacement

Take tension off the latch by pressing it flush with the door frame. A 16 penny nail wedged in the slot will keep the latch flush while you work to loosen the shaft. A broken spring can wedge the shaft, then you may have to cut the shaft, and then remove the latch assembly.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote