Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #1
smross

Default Mystery Stall

I took my '37 Coupe for a drive Saturday afternoon and about two miles from my house the engine died while I was driving it. I tried starting it and it felt like it wanted to catch but it never did. Ultimately, the engine just spun and spun and it wasn't even close to wanting to start. Good Samaritans came along and we put five gallons of gas in the tank (gas gauge does not work). No difference. I sat for 1.5 hours waiting for the flatbed to bring it home and I periodically would try to start it. Again, it would turn over fine but there wasn't a hint of it wanting to start. Since I had no tools with me (lesson learned) I couldn't tell if the electric fuel pump was actually pumping although you could hear it, and I couldn't tell if I had spark. For the record, there wasn't even a hint of gas smell under the hood which was odd as I was trying to start it with choke, without choke, gas pedal to the floor, no gas pedal, etc. The flatbed towed it home and I've been too busy to delve into it until this evening. Just for laughs I tried to start it and it ran as though nothing had ever happened. Then I thought about a locking gas cap that I recently purchased and installed and I wondered if it was vented and if that caused it to stall. I ran the car for a good twenty minutes with the locking gas cap installed and it appears that was not the problem as the car did not die. I also reached under the car to feel if the fuel pump was hot and it was not. Since it was getting dark I elected not to take it for a drive fearing it would die again.

Some background info. about the car. It has a 286 inch flathead with twin 97's, a Mallory electronic ignition, the aforementioned electric fuel pump which runs full time through a regulator set at 3psi, a thermostatically controlled fan and a Powergen alternator. The car has been converted to 12V and it has a new battery.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Steve Ross
smross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
Don

Default Re: Mystery Stall

Had this problem with a stripped timing gear.might not be your problem since it started next day.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
51504bat

Coil? Gets hot and quits working, cools down and it fires right up. Just a thought.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:07 PM   #4
Lawson Cox

Bad condenser will present same symptoms.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:28 AM   #5
BrianCT

Did you try priming the carb when they brought you the gas?
Otherwise it sounds like heat related electrical problem.
Where is that great looking diner?
Old 05-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
TJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Are you running a ballast resistor to the coil? That symptom can be indicative of a bad resistor.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #7
Paul Selfe

Are you still using the original ignition switch? If so, check the connections on the back. I had a similar problem with a loose connection. A little bouncing on the flatbed may have snugged it back up. Paul Selfe.
Paul Selfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
Steves46

Quote:
Originally Posted by smross View Post
For the record, there wasn't even a hint of gas smell under the hood which was odd as I was trying to start it with choke, without choke, gas pedal to the floor, no gas pedal, etc.
Regards,

Steve Ross
Steve, this may be a long shot but since you were not getting any whiffs of fuel, you may want to double check your flex hose connection and any other fuel line related connections. Steve
Old 05-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
smross

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like we're leaning towards ignition problems.

I'm bringing the car to Tommy Caruso's shop tomorrow. He's in Tyngsboro,MA and I hear he is the Flathead Guru in this area. I mentioned that the car has a Mallory electronic ignition and he said that he's had more problems with Mallory than he cares to remember. He strongly recommended going back to a points ignition. Has anyone here had problems with the Mallory electronic ignition set ups? Are there any other electronic ignitions that are any good? I'd prefer not to go with points as, frankly, they look like they would be a pain to set given their location on the front of the engine.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #10
smross

I forgot to mention that the Salem Diner is on Loring Av. in Salem, MA.
It's on the National Historic Register and it's one of two Sterling Streamliner dining cars left in MA. It is still in operation as far as I know.
I should also mention that the photograph was taken by a gentleman named Martyn Goddard who is a highly regarded motoring photographer. The previous owner was a friend of his and Mr. Goddard took a bunch of beautiful pics of the car.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by smross View Post

I'd prefer not to go with points as, frankly, they look like they would be a pain to set given their location on the front of the engine.
I believe in an earlier post, you alluded to the fact that your engine is a 59-type. The distributor is kind of "buried" down on the front. Nobody tries to set points with the distributor on the engine. The distributors come off (and re-install) very easily, and are designed to be serviced on the bench. Set-up and serviced correctly, they're extremely reliable. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #12
BrianCT

Thank you for the info on the diner.
If you do go back to points the crab type is the easiest to service.
Most of us only put on a few thousand miles a year so you don't have to
deal with it very often.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:28 PM   #13
scooder

They maybe a "pain" to set up, not really bad, as mentioned above, you tug the ignition off, do the necessary, and plop it back on.
You gota remember years before the electronic ignitions existed motor vehicles clocked up millions upon millions of miles with a set of points. There only real weakness is terrible quality condensers commonly sold for these. Folks have found though there are still good ones out there, just get the good stuff.
And just imagine, with a stock front mount flathead ignition fitted, your engine will actually have an ignition with a flathead curve in it!
You stated no gas smell at all after all your attempts to fire him up. I'm sure you would have smelt gas if it was at the carb. Don't rule out gas as the issue.
Running the car at idle for twenty minutes don't replicate driving it.
See what your man finds, and let us know. I do agree with him about your ignition, I've worked on thoes Mallory chaps, recurving them, I wouldn't fit one on my stuff, the stock Ford distributors are far superior.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote