Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2021, 09:13 PM   #41
Ranchero50

Lightbulb Re: I'm not a Model A person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
So what do you do when your engine dies after 90 seconds and you've done all the steps in the troubleshooting book?
Figure out if it's fuel or spark and troubleshoot the bad circuit. I'm going with fuel because that's about how long the carb bowl will run at idle before it starves for fuel. You got this.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:32 PM   #42
Garcia

Default Re: I'm not a Model A person

I managed to borrow a good coil, and now the engine starts right up. Unfortunately, it then fills the garage with thick gasoline odor faster than I can get the door opened.

I guess the next thing is to replace the carburetor. At this rate, I'm going to have all new parts under the hood.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:24 PM   #43
eagle

Why are you trying to be a mechanic? Do you work on your modern cars? Find a shop that is competent in the Model A, and bring it in. I enjoy fixing, but realize it is NOT for everyone.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:34 AM   #44
CatMan1

Quote:
I managed to borrow a good coil, and now the engine starts right up. Unfortunately, it then fills the garage with thick gasoline odor faster than I can get the door opened.

I guess the next thing is to replace the carburetor. At this rate, I'm going to have all new parts under the hood.
Sounds like you might feel better about keeping it? Perhaps?
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:05 AM   #45
Slowmotoring

You probably dont need to replace the carburetor. Likely just needs to be disassembled and cleaned. Rebuild kits for these carbs are relatively inexpensive and easy to do. The books you have should guide you through the process. You do need to know which carb you have though, so you get the right rebuild kit. Your almost there.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:00 AM   #46
Patrick L.

Quote:
I started working through the steps in the Andrews troubleshooting book, and after I passed the test for a strong spark from the coil wire to ground, I did the coil test and secondary coil failed. I have a new coil on order, so we'll see what that does.

I had previously been confused about having a strong spark with a bad condenser, but I did have a strong spark, so I guess I can have one with a bad coil.

You said you passed the test for a good strong spark. Then the condenser and coil should be good. Do you have the original type points or the 'modern' upper plate ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:03 AM   #47
Patrick L.

Quote:

Which carburetor do you have ?
Have you tried adjusting it ? Set the GAV at 1/4-1/2 turn out from gently seated. Set the idle mixture screw at 1.5 turns out. Once engine is warm adjust the idle mix screw for the best idle. That screw adjusts the air, not the fuel so screwing it out makes the mixture leaner.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:20 AM   #48
Slowmotoring

Another trick worth trying to confirm its fuel related. Get a can of ether/starting fluid. Remove the air filter from your carb (if you have a air filter). Start your engine. When the engine starts to die, give the intake of the carb a shot of ether. If you can keep the car running with shots of ether, it is definitely fuel related. If it doesnt work the first time try it again. It may take a couple times to get your timing right of when to spray the ether.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:29 AM   #49
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmotoring View Post
Another trick worth trying to confirm its fuel related. Get a can of ether/starting fluid. Remove the air filter from your carb (if you have a air filter). Start your engine. When the engine starts to die, give the intake of the carb a shot of ether. If you can keep the car running with shots of ether, it is definitely fuel related. If it doesnt work the first time try it again. It may take a couple times to get your timing right of when to spray the ether.
Ether will kill spark plugs, use VERY sparingly
Old 06-18-2021, 09:41 AM   #50
Will N

IMHO, the Model A is a tinkerer's car. If you don't have the desire or aptitude to turn a wrench, the Model A is not for you. Alternatively, if you have a deep wallet and a mechanic nearby and don't mind waiting for it to be fixed, go for it.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:50 AM   #51
Anteek29

Don't give up...you are making good progress! Many of us have gotten discouraged before, kept fixing and derived a sense of satisfaction knowing we were up to the task.
The more you fix the closer will be your bond with your A.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:54 AM   #52
katy

Quote:
Opening the door first should be a priority.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:34 PM   #53
Garcia

Surprise! Or no surprise--another problem

With the new coil, I burped the baby, blowing air back into the gas tank and ensured I had a steady flow. It started up and I started my stopwatch. Twenty minutes later, it was still running, so I dared to back it out of the garage and go down the alley and back. I had just gotten the front wheels out of the garage when the engine died and wouldn't restart.

This time, the fuse had blown. I didn't know where to begin in tracing the short, so I chanced just putting a new fuse in. The new fuse didn't blow, and I was able to get the car back into the garage, where I will leave it for a couple days until I calm down.

I would like to point out to those who questioned my abilities that I have been adept with wrenches and problem-solving for many years. I have rebuilt many farm engines, and I take pride in being able to change a rusty piece of steel with ants living in it into a running engine that can win a blue ribbon at the county fair. So, please don't assume that I'm a lazy moron who just wants my problems to magically resolve themselves. I'm willing to do what it takes to get this car running, but it just seems always to be presenting a new problem.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:41 PM   #54
Garcia

This is a JD engine I restored. I also made the coil and the box holding it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofzL-K2xyZM
Old 06-18-2021, 01:58 PM   #55
CatMan1

Smile Re: I'm not a Model A person

Quote:
Surprise! Or no surprise--another problem

With the new coil, I burped the baby, blowing air back into the gas tank and ensured I had a steady flow. It started up and I started my stopwatch. Twenty minutes later, it was still running, so I dared to back it out of the garage and go down the alley and back. I had just gotten the front wheels out of the garage when the engine died and wouldn't restart.

This time, the fuse had blown. I didn't know where to begin in tracing the short, so I chanced just putting a new fuse in. The new fuse didn't blow, and I was able to get the car back into the garage, where I will leave it for a couple days until I calm down.

I would like to point out to those who questioned my abilities that I have been adept with wrenches and problem-solving for many years. I have rebuilt many farm engines, and I take pride in being able to change a rusty piece of steel with ants living in it into a running engine that can win a blue ribbon at the county fair. So, please don't assume that I'm a lazy moron who just wants my problems to magically resolve themselves. I'm willing to do what it takes to get this car running, but it just seems always to be presenting a new problem.

Glad you are back in the game and back on top! I've been there recently, too. Struggling, but gaining.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:11 PM   #56
Chris in WNC

take heart.
there are a finite number of potential problems.
resolved correctly, each in turn, they should stay resolved.

you'll be glad you didn't sell.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:19 PM   #57
mgambuzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
IMHO, the Model A is a tinkerer's car. If you don't have the desire or aptitude to turn a wrench, the Model A is not for you. Alternatively, if you have a deep wallet and a mechanic nearby and don't mind waiting for it to be fixed, go for it.
..and I used to think the MG Midgets and B's were tinkerer's car! Thankfully Ford wasn't plagued by Lucas Electric systems.
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #58
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgambuzza View Post
..and I used to think the MG Midgets and B's were tinkerer's car! Thankfully Ford wasn't plagued by Lucas Electric systems.

I was going to buy a Midget, but my friend said that I shouldn't because there are too many problems with one.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:30 PM   #59
nkaminar

CatMan, That is a nice restoration of a hit-and-miss engine. Any doubt of your abilities should be dismissed.

It sounds like you are gaining on the Model A.

The fuse will blow for a reason. Is it 20 amps or 30 amps? I have had mine blow when the hot horn wire came loose in the horn and shorted out. The sockets for the lights are another suspect area and a lot of people bypass the connector there and add single wire connectors inside the light housings. Look for frayed wires. If it happens again temporally disconnect the wire leading from the generator/alternator to the light switch.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:48 PM   #60
700rpm

Mr. Garcia,
My offer of two days ago stands.
Ray Horton

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote