Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2023, 01:47 PM   #1
flathead_jr

Default Info. regarding 1939 Mercury door glass

Anyone have any information on the door glass for a 39 Mercury 4 door sedan? Is the door glass the same as the 39 Ford, or is it in it's own category as well? I unfortunately do not have any good patterns for the doors so I can replace the glass.
flathead_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 02:13 PM   #2
Karl Wescott

Default Re: Info. regarding 1939 Mercury door glass

Mercury is different than Ford.

Try Sanders Reproduction Glass, 6295 NE 147th Ave, Vancouver, WA 98682 as they list glass for your car.

If for some reason Sanders (or someone else) does not have patterns, I have a scroll of patterns that likely has the Mercury. However the scroll machine needs tlc to work and I have not got to that project yet.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 02:50 PM   #3
flathead_jr

Sanders has the glass, but I can have it cut locally for cheaper than what they want for it. If I even had just a paper pattern that would help to get it cut. Hopefully someone will have clarification on the door glass between a 39 Mercury, and a 39 Ford.
Old 10-10-2023, 03:11 PM   #4
rockfla

I got a Merc 4 Door, not sure just how I would get you a good accurate pattern of the glass????
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 05:58 PM   #5
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead_jr View Post
Sanders has the glass, but I can have it cut locally for cheaper than what they want for it. If I even had just a paper pattern that would help to get it cut. Hopefully someone will have clarification on the door glass between a 39 Mercury, and a 39 Ford.
How much difference can there be? Pay the extra in price. We should be doing all we can to keep the ever-dwindling list of good, reliable vendors in business.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 07:31 PM   #6
1942deluxe

I used Sanders for my 42 coupe project glass. The product they provided was actually a few 1000ths thicker than the OEM glass in the car. Having worked in a window factory for 5 years I learned there can be differences in the quality of glass.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 02:57 AM   #7
mercman from oz

Comparison shots of the 1939 Ford Deluxe Fordor Sedan and 1939 Mercury Town Sedan.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 09:11 AM   #8
flathead_jr

It would have been nice if they could have provided some measurements. I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference in the doors. I do know there is quite a difference in the front clip and rear fenders, and I also believe there is a difference in body width as well. Now when it comes to buying parts out of state vs. buying and supporting my local small business, I will support my local small business first before sending money to an out of state vender. In a lot of cases I do not have a choice, but here however I do have that choice to support my local small business.
Old 10-11-2023, 09:17 AM   #9
rockfla

Quote:
It would have been nice if they could have provided some measurements. I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference in the doors. I do know there is quite a difference in the front clip and rear fenders, and I also believe there is a difference in body width as well. Now when it comes to buying parts out of state vs. buying and supporting my local small business, I will support my local small business first before sending money to an out of state vender. In a lot of cases I do not have a choice, but here however I do have that choice to support my local small business.
Look at the angle of windshields, the angle of the front door glass. Also lower than the Ford. The rear quarter glass is smaller. So there is that!!!
Old 10-11-2023, 04:54 PM   #10
mercman from oz

Close up view of the Windows showing differences between the 1939 Mercury and Ford
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 05:27 PM   #11
jayvee34

When I had my 40 Merc 4 dr. sedan it had a cracked glass in the left rear.
I got a replacement glass from Ball's Rod and Custom. It fit perfect. Don't know about
pricing, been several years ago.

If your cracked glass is still in the car, remove and use for a pattern.

Last edited by jayvee34; 10-11-2023 at 05:33 PM.
jayvee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:06 PM   #12
rich b

Once you have the fuzzy glass tracks in place; it's not too hard to make a pattern out of 1/4" masonite.

Once it gets close; I pin it to the glass channel to finalize the size and location so the cam on the regulator grabs the roller and makes the "smoker" vent operation function.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot (510) (Medium).jpg (27.4 KB, 108 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:43 PM   #13
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
Once you have the fuzzy glass tracks in place; it's not too hard to make a pattern out of 1/4" masonite.

Once it gets close; I pin it to the glass channel to finalize the size and location so the cam on the regulator grabs the roller and makes the "smoker" vent operation function.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 02:52 AM   #14
highbeams

I used Sanders, excellent quality & people. Request the Ford Safety glass logo with your requested date; they' do it, and place it where YOU want it!

* My '33 3w had a cracked aftermarket windshield. (one single sheet, see it, lower passenger corner by sticker.)
*Did you know that Ford Safety Glass= two glass sheets as one? (read the story on Henry deciding to make 'safety glass' for every car. Very interesting! view the glass edge(s) on your EFV8

Last edited by highbeams; 10-12-2023 at 02:55 AM. Reason: clarity.
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 10:55 AM   #15
flathead_jr

For some reason I couldn't post for a while, so I couldn't respond to anything. Does anyone have the book that covers the part numbers on the bodies of both Ford and Mercury for the glass in 39? Look at the photos they look the same to me. Unless someone was holding a measuring tape up on the window openings the contours and glare on the paint make any differences difficult to see.
Old 11-10-2023, 02:39 PM   #16
rockfla

Quote:
For some reason I couldn't post for a while, so I couldn't respond to anything. Does anyone have the book that covers the part numbers on the bodies of both Ford and Mercury for the glass in 39? Look at the photos they look the same to me. Unless someone was holding a measuring tape up on the window openings the contours and glare on the paint make any differences difficult to see.
As stated before, I don't see how that could be....Look at Trevor's post #10 and look at the angle of the front edge of the front door, NO way a Ford glass is fitting that angle of the Mercury door...ALSO as evidence by the very Rare Accessory wind wing windows.....Mercury's will NOT fit a Ford and vice versa!!! Angles are very different!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939MercWindWIng1.jpg (36.5 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by rockfla; 11-10-2023 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2023, 03:00 PM   #17
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
As stated before, I don't see how that could be....Look at Trevor's post #10 and look at the angle of the front edge of the front door, NO way a Ford glass is fitting that angle of the Mercury door...ALSO as evidence by the very Rare Accessory wind wind windows.....Mercury's will NOT fit a Ford and vice versa!!! Angles are very different!!!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 12:07 PM   #18
TJ

I suspect that the 39-40 Mercury glass is different shape than the 39-40 Ford glass. The bodies of the Merc vs Ford are uniquely different. Why not call Sanders glass and ask them the difference. Bob Drake used to sell glass patterns. You might call them to see if they have them for a Mercury.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:22 AM   #19
flathead_jr

I did see that they sell some patterns for other models, but nothing for the 39 / 40 Mercury. I'll drop them a line to see if they have the patterns.