Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2021, 11:44 PM   #1
Fred A

Default Worn Clutch and Brake Pedal/Spring Pins?

Restoring my '40 clutch and brake pedal assembly. Have not seen the special pins in decades and need at least one to restore the assembly. Any source? Also do the bushings that come with the new shaft usually need reaming to fit? Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:49 PM   #2
Fred A

Default Re: Worn Clutch and Brake Pedal/Spring Pins?

I have a 41/9 rear gear. Will my 23 tooth pumpkin give me a reasonable spedo with 700-16 rear tires, or should I look for a 24? Thanks: Fred A
looks like I got two questions on one thread. Couldn't be worse than my picture attempts. perhaps one Barner will have both answers.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:39 AM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
I have a 41/9 rear gear. Will my 23 tooth pumpkin give me a reasonable spedo with 700-16 rear tires, or should I look for a 24? Thanks: Fred A
looks like I got two questions on one thread. Couldn't be worse than my picture attempts. perhaps one Barner will have both answers.

Hey Fred .....This handy old Ford chart was made just for the information that you're looking for. Only ONE minor problem ....your exact situation is left blank for some reason.

Up near the very top of chart, wander over to the FIFTH column labeled "USE WITH 9-41 REAR AXLE (4.55 TO 1 RATIO)". Look over in the FAR RIGHT column with TIRE Sizes. Scroll down to the two lines showing 7.00 X 16 tires. Looking back to the left at column #5, the slots are obviously BLANK!

All of those OTHER #17270 things are Ford's # for the TURTLE HOUSING (NOT the gear) that would be used in any particular combination. The recommended gear with specific number of teeth would be found in the narrow column just to the right of the 17270 number. Whether you know it or not, there were definitely DIFFERENT Turtle housings to accommodate the axle pin locations being closer to, or farther from the centerline of the drive shaft, because different numbers of teeth DRIVEN GEARS were larger or smaller in diameter, and ALL had to mesh with the #17285 DRIVE Gear accurately & precisely.

So, since the chart DOES show the two common tire sizes on either side of YOUR size (those tire sizes being "6.50 X 16" as well as "7.50 X 15"), plus the fact that the two "BF 17270" turtles are identical, and the fact that BOTH require the same 23-tooth DRIVEN Gear, I would tend to stick my neck out and recommend a 23-tooth DRIVEN Gear for your project. SAVE this chart for future reference. I found it somewhere years ago! Hope this helps you, Fred.

As far as the pins go for your pedals, I would try contacting Fred Wilmer at Southside Obsolete, who also goes by "barnfind08" right here on The 'Barn. He has multiple buildings full of real NOS parts, with some pretty obscure parts hidden-away. Or, you can even PM barnfind08 via this link BELOW! He usually answers fairly quickly. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/priva...do=newpm&u=104

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 10-12-2021 at 01:48 AM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:33 AM   #4
Tim Ayers

I just got new pins from Michael Driscoll @ Third Gen Auto
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
Zeke3

I replaced the shaft and pedal bushings on a set of 1940 pedals and did not have to ream the bushings to fit. I struggled to find the retaining rings and washers for holding the pedals on the shaft. I ended up buying hardware from McMaster-Carr and adapting to fit. Let me know if you need a set, I can send you pictures of what I have.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #6
Fred A

Tim: I've been interested in doing business with Third Gen.. Thanks

V8COOPRMAN: Where did you find that chart? I collect Ford publications of the era and have not seen it. I found a like new 23 turtle on Sunday. I thought of taller tires for my '40 and 750s came to mind. Of course an overdrive would be needed to tame these gears. I had this combo in a previous '40, behind 24/19s. Loved it. big difference, then I had a rocker arm V8. Now a 59A. RPM limited by comparison. Have to look at the numbers. Perhaps 4.11s would be more realistic. It's been tough for me learning how to resize pictures to post here. Is this site unusually limited size wise? You seem to be in control of the beast. Just stumbled onto E-mail to myself and am halfway there. Thanks again.

Zeke3: I have the retaining rings and one good pin. Bent one ring prying it off but found a rusty pedal set behind the shed for a more cautious removal. Roger the reamless install. Thanks

Thanks to all. When I noticed I'd doubled the thread, seemed too late and just covered my error. Fred A

Last edited by Fred A; 10-12-2021 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #7
DavidG

It's Driskell, not Driscoll.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:26 PM   #8
rich b

Last time I made the shaft out of a long 3/4" bolt with the plating polished off and cut the snap ring grooves to match the thin modern snap rings.

I found the end washers in the "machine bushing" drawer at the hardware store.

The new bushings from Little Dearborn that I pressed in the pedal fit the homemade shaft just fine.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #9
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
Tim: I've been interested in doing business with Third Gen.. Thanks

V8COOPRMAN: Where did you find that chart? I collect Ford publications of the era and have not seen it. I found a like new 23 turtle on Sunday. I thought of taller tires for my '40 and 750s came to mind. Of course an overdrive would be needed to tame these gears. I had this combo in a previous '40, behind 24/19s. Loved it. big difference, then I had a rocker arm V8. Now a 59A. RPM limited by comparison. Have to look at the numbers. Perhaps 4.11s would be more realistic. It's been tough for me learning how to resize pictures to post here. Is this site unusually limited size wise? You seem to be in control of the beast. Just stumbled onto E-mail to myself and am halfway there. Thanks again.

Zeke3: I have the retaining rings and one good pin. Bent one ring prying it off but found a rusty pedal set behind the shed for a more cautious removal. Roger the reamless install. Thanks

Thanks to all. When I noticed I'd doubled the thread, seemed too late and just covered my error. Fred A
The speedometer gear chart can be found in the Green Bible page 632
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:59 PM   #10
Fred A

Here I had moved away from the green. Another source is the Service Bulletins but my wife thinks that I read boring "lists". Catalogs from the big vendors is my first stop these days as they now pay Ford for the use of their part numbers. Even if they pervert or cheat the numbers, it'll get me close to the right spot in the Chassis and Body parts lists. Thanks for the reference.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:25 AM   #11
Fred A

Third Gen had the pins (01A-7533). Somehow I did not recognize and must have used the short pins before and hooked the springs in the wrong place. Without a picture the pin would be very unimpressive. Still beating the drum about more intuitive picture posts. I have no trouble E-mail big files. Spotted something about promising about resizing in my own bloatware. Checking the '41 parts list had me thinking the pin was '32 and beyond. A check of the Green limited it to '40-'41. A continuing reason to have multiple references. Thanks for the suggestions: Fred A