Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
graderman

Default Miss fire

I just had my distrubitor gone thru at bubbas and got it back on and it runs very very bad! What am I doing wrong! It will idle pretty smooth but I just touch the gas and it goes in to a huge miss fire!!!!
graderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Miss fire

Spark plug wires hooked-up incorrectly at the distributor....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 04-29-2016 at 12:37 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

As you just touch the gas pull the choke to see if it responds and insure it's not fuel starvation.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:20 PM   #4
flatheadmurre

Did it run good before ?
What engine -48 or 49- ?
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
rotorwrench

As above, we need more information. A carburetor with a good idle circuit will idle correctly but may have accelerator pump problems or main jet circuit obstructed. There may also be problems in the high tension part of the ignition such as a bad coil, deteriorated leads, or some fouled spark plugs.

If there is a major ignition problem, it usually won't start and idle well.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:39 AM   #6
chap52

I recently forgot that those flathead cylinders are 1,2,3,4, on the passenger side and 5,6,7,8 on the drivers side. Wouldn't even start.
If it was running before it's something simple I am sure.
Keep us posted.
Jim (Bubba) is a real pro and no matter how busy he may be has always been there to discuss a problem . Give him a call if your still stumped.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
donald1950

what jets do you have in the carb?
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
GSCOV

I think he just changed the distributor not the carburetor
GSCOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #9
oldford2

Maybe call Bubba and discuss with him. He will ask the right questions and is a very helpful guy. If he did the distributor it is probably something else
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #10
BUBBAS IGNITION

I did talk to graderman today and offered some suggestions etc.
Our policy is that i want all our work to run better than perfect!!! When it dont we do everything in out power to make it work!!
And then i ask for every thing to be sent to me for a total test and load session etc. many times it is something done at the install end but sometimes the adjustments went south for who knows what reason. I told graderman to get it all to me and i would test , fix ( if needed) and return the day i recieve it....
I really do want our product to run good on your car every time!!!!

I will follow up on this post.....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
graderman

Thank you, I have it off and have rechecked all I can do here so it will be coming to you! Thank you!! Graderman
Old 04-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #12
graderman

Thank all of you for your responses! I played with these old cars when I was a kid. Now a lot of years later I am lost. But then I could buy a pretty good old ford to drive in the fields for 30, to 50 dollars, things have changed!! Thanks Graderman
Old 04-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #13
graderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by graderman View Post
I just had my distrubitor gone thru at bubbas and got it back on and it runs very very bad! What am I doing wrong! It will idle pretty smooth but I just touch the gas and it goes in to a huge miss fire!!!!
I removed the distrubitor and sent it on to bubba for a recheck! I sure hope there is something going on with it cuz" I don't know what to do next. The engine has been overhauled not to long ago I would say, the new green paint is still very sharp and there is no smoke and power is excellent . Ok so say it! What to devil did I pull the distrubitor off for? It had a slight hitch like you shut the switch off and on quickly that's why yup!!!! So I figered"" the points should be looked at. Bubba ifin you see this and think there is any hope fer me and the fliver, I don't gut a gasket fer the distrubitor !! Thanks for readin.. Graderman
Old 04-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #14
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by graderman View Post
I removed the distrubitor and sent it on to bubba for a recheck! I sure hope there is something going on with it cuz" I don't know what to do next. The engine has been overhauled not to long ago I would say, the new green paint is still very sharp and there is no smoke and power is excellent . Ok so say it! What to devil did I pull the distrubitor off for? It had a slight hitch like you shut the switch off and on quickly that's why yup!!!! So I figered"" the points should be looked at. Bubba ifin you see this and think there is any hope fer me and the fliver, I don't gut a gasket fer the distrubitor !! Thanks for readin.. Graderman
Will get er in and spin it up on the machine and post the findings.......
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #15
39portlander

Ah Mr. Graderman, I do see you have 6 posts here on Ford Barn, I also see your from Maine. With that, welcome to Ford Barn. That being said......

For Henry Ford's sake get the spell check upgrade on your "puter", makes the good folks Downeast sound like there grammar challenged.

Just a little constructive criticism for future posts, think like a light bulb make them "bright" not "dull" and please talk to your manufacture/repair guy first before posting something misguided.

Bubba and others who have supported Ford Barn for many years keeping these flatheads rolling should not have to reiterate due to a "new guy's" thread.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #16
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post
Ah Mr. Graderman, I do see you have 6 posts here on Ford Barn, I also see your from Maine. With that, welcome to Ford Barn. That being said......

For Henry Ford's sake get the spell check upgrade on your "puter", makes the good folks Downeast sound like there grammar challenged.

Just a little constructive criticism for future posts, think like a light bulb make them "bright" not "dull" and please talk to your manufacture/repair guy first before posting something misguided.

Bubba and others who have supported Ford Barn for many years keeping these flatheads rolling should not have to reiterate due to a "new guy's" thread.
"THERE" grammar challenged ?
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:47 AM   #17
graderman

Yup I see a little in all of us!!
Old 05-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #18
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post

For Henry Ford's sake get the spell check upgrade on your "puter", makes the good folks Downeast sound like their grammar challenged.

Their\adj and "you are", you got me hoop
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:20 PM   #19
graderman

Well I fully apologize for any misguided or impolite words I have said! As far as my repair person I have he is the best of the best! My mention of him, knowing he is the best I thought "problem" could have been experienced by others.. Sorry and thanks to all!! Graderman!!
Old 05-02-2016, 07:47 AM   #20
chap52

Guess it ain't proper to be flusterated and be asken them that mighta know how'd to fix it!
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote