Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
Timstruck

Default Brake Shaft

I am trying to locate a rebuild kit or at least bushings for the brake shaft on my '36 pickup (1/2 ton). I've checked several parts suppliers, but no deal. Anyone have a lead on where I can purchase this? Or do they not service this part? Mine is quite wobbly.

By the way, this is not the brake pedal shaft (7506). This is the shaft that the brake rods and the handbrake connects to. Mine measures about 8-1/2 inches long. See attached pic.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake Shaft.jpg (126.4 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by Timstruck; 07-15-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Timstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Brake Shaft

Did you check with the NOS suppliers such as Barnfind08?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:29 PM   #3
Tinker

I think you can order generic bushings from McMaster-Car if you mic them out.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:42 PM   #4
barnfind08

I only have that whole unit nos. $80.00 plus $14.00 postage
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

I needed to rebuild several '35-'36 brake cross shafts for my own cars and a friends vehicle. I've never seen a rebuild kit available for these, so I decided to make new shafts and use oil impregnated bronze bushings. I also added a zerk grease fitting at each bearing. There was definitely a learning curve involved in finding the best way to get these apart, machining the shafts, finding standard, off the shelf, bushings, line boring/reaming the bushings, and putting the assembly back together with rivets. One of the requirements for having mechanical brakes that function well, is having good movement with no slop in this cross shaft. Here are some pictures I took during the process:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35-36 Ford brake crosshaft rebuild 3.jpg (22.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 35-36 Ford brake crosshaft rebuild 1.jpg (20.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 35-36 Ford brake crosshaft rebuild 2.jpg (20.7 KB, 57 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-16-2018 at 04:57 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

I got as far as making shafts, bushings---- then bought NOS for much less than the brass for making the bushings
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I got as far as making shafts, bushings---- then bought NOS for much less than the brass for making the bushings
The bushings I used were standard parts (ID, OD, & length) at McMaster Carr and not at all expensive. No machining required other than final line boring/reaming both bushings after pressing them in place. Very similar to doing king pin bushings. I could have also gone NOS, but do not like the bushings Ford oringinally used in these cross shafts.

Standard Oilite bearing available from McMaster-Carr @ $4.43 each if anyone cares to make their own repair: https://www.mcmaster.com/#6391k275/=1egh2lp

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-04-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:34 PM   #8
tubman

For the price, I'd be all over the NOS one from Fred instead of screwing with bushings etc for a shaft that may be worn lout. "Different strokes for different folks".

Last edited by tubman; 07-16-2018 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Never was a real fan of "Sly and the Family Stone"
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
For the price, I'd be all over the NOS one from Fred instead of screwing with bushings etc for a shaft that may be worn lout. "Different strikes for different folks".
That's what I was thinking as well, seems like a good price for a new setup.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #10
Bob NH

There is much satisfaction in doing a job like this as opposed to just buy it and have it over with. I really like what JM did and like to do my own whenever possible. Just makes ya feel good with a well done job ! Nice work indeed.
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:58 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
There is much satisfaction in doing a job like this as opposed to just buy it and have it over with. I really like what JM did and like to do my own whenever possible. Just makes ya feel good with a well done job ! Nice work indeed.
I agree with that as well Bob, but when you have NOS available at a good price, I would have to go with the NOS. If there is only a repo part available or the price is out of reach, I would do my best to refurbish the original part, that is for sure.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstruck View Post
I am trying to locate a rebuild kit or at least bushings for the brake shaft on my '36 pickup (1/2 ton). I've checked several parts suppliers, but no deal. Anyone have a lead on where I can purchase this? Or do they not service this part? Mine is quite wobbly.

By the way, this is not the brake pedal shaft (7506). This is the shaft that the brake rods and the handbrake connects to. Mine measures about 8-1/2 inches long. See attached pic.

Thanks.
Timstruck, just happened to see this post on another search, and was wondering if you got this brake cross shaft issue resolved, and what your final direction was on this??
Always good for the OP to give some follow-up on how things went, for those who tried to help and for those who read these post sometime down the road.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-05-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:42 PM   #13
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Timstruck, just happened to see this post on another search, and was wondering if you got this brake cross shaft issue resolved, and what your final direction was on this??

Oh my... that's funny!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:24 PM   #14
quickchange34

The NOS bushings were junk from the day they were made. They are a shell type bushing that cuts groves in the shaft. They are made of steel with a woven lining If you use the bronze bushings that you make and a new shaft it is worth the trouble.Also install the grease fittings as well. If you have a trailer queen the NOS might work for that but if you plan to drive it install the bronze. You will be glad you did.
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:49 AM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange34 View Post
The NOS bushings were junk from the day they were made. They are a shell type bushing that cuts groves in the shaft. They are made of steel with a woven lining If you use the bronze bushings that you make and a new shaft it is worth the trouble.Also install the grease fittings as well. If you have a trailer queen the NOS might work for that but if you plan to drive it install the bronze. You will be glad you did.
Quickchange, you are right on the money....the original bushings used on these cross shafts were a very poor design from the beginning. Henry and his designers did many things so well, but this was not one of them. Once these original bushings began wearing into the main shaft, the mechanical brake system could no longer be adjusted correctly.