Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
mark180

Default Any tricks to neatly removing inside door panel?

I have a '37 Tudor. The passenger side window crank will lower, but not raise the window. I need to pull the panel to see what is going on. The interior is really nice, and I don't want to mess it up by doing some bonehead mistake removing it. Are there any special tools or tricks for removing and reinstalling the panel?
mark180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Any tricks to neatly removing inside door panel?

Patience is the only "special tool" required.
Remove the window molding assembly. Then, the inner handles (window & door). Remove any finishing screws and washers, usually two or three per door.
Finally, I like to use a sturdy 1" blade putty knife wrapped in a few twists of masking tape, run the blade between the panel and door until you reach a clip. Gently pry away from the door until the clip is released. Move along until all clips have been released.
Most doors also had one to three clips attaching the panel to the cross brace on the door. Once the outer perimeter clips have been released, you'll know what is on the "inside". Those can easily be released by reaching between the panel and door.
Do your best to apply any prying action as near the clip as possible.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Exactly what Kube said, in that same order, is the way I recently removed the drivers side inner door panel on my '35 fordor. I did this to replace the door glass, window channels, and service the windup window mechanism. A full day job for an old, slow moving amateur, but it looks and works well. Putting that panel back on also takes patience and care to get all the little clips snapped back into there correct holes. Some of the clips were missing on my panel, either left off by someone making a repair, or possibly during assembly at the plant..

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
mark180

Thanks! I'll take it slow and methodical.
mark180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
flatheadfan

Let me add one other item I found useful. Run a one inch strip of masking tape along the juncture where the upholstery board meets the painted door. If you are not super careful those door clips can do a big-time scratching of the door jam.

Second, one of the big problems with reattaching the panel is the clips. Getting the clips to align perfectly with the appropriate door hole. can be a real challenge. If the clip is off slightly you can end up tearing the panel board and then you have a real problem.

A slick way to avoid this is to reattach the door panel using Velcro. That's right Velcro! The model A folks have been doing this for years with great success. The last time I had my driver's side panel off on my '51, I gave it a try. It really works! The only way you can tell the difference from an original clip panel and a Velcro panel is the Velcro panel fits better and looks better. Add to that the ease of installation and the ease of any future removal and you have a winner.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Good one on the Velcro suggestion Tom. Never would have thought of that. I may try that on the 5w coupe. Those Model A guys are tricky!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
flatheadfan

John- If you get a chance, check this out: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ghlight=velcro

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
rotorwrench

Snap-On/Bluepoint makes a tool that is the cat's meow for removing clips. This is the link.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....store&tool=all
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote