Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
DannL

Default Loosening front spring bracket . . .

Can the spring bracket be loosened and safely moved without lifting the body? I need to move it 1/2 inch so the crank will go into the pulley. Thanks in advance.
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
Ranchero50

Default Re: Loosening front spring bracket . . .

Yeah, I had mine a apart a couple times this weekend to get the front stance lowered and the spring package isn't nearly as strong as the rear set. Once complete and with the engine in place mine doesn't line up either...
Ranchero50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
duke36

Make sure first your spring is centered between the frame rails before doing anything. This will hopefully indicate the spring (middle) square bolt head is in the cross member recess . Then loosen the u bolts with the weight of the car on the ground, etc. The top bracket can slide laterally some but should also be centered in the cross member holes if possible. The radiator usually would not be needed to be removed if attached.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
DannL

I loosened all four bolts quite a bit on that bracket. But the top that has the hole for the crank will not budge even though it's loose, it will not move to the left where I need it. I'm assuming there's a dimple or a divot that it sets in. Please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll look for another solution. Just hate to have to remove the whole radiator to slide this bracket over half an inch.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #5
alexiskai

If you're talking about the crank bearing, there are locator tabs on the bottom that fit into the cross-member. You can kinda see them in the third image here:
https://www.brattons.com/original-28...k-bearing.html

There's a photo here showing how the bearing and the U-bolts attach to the cross-member:
https://www.brattons.com/feb-30-31-crank-bearing.html

If your pulley isn't lining up with the crank bearing and the hole in the radiator shell, I have to assume the problem is in the shell since the other two are fixed in position relative to the frame.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:26 PM   #6
rotorwrench

Some of these old cross members end up have in patch repairs due to cracking in and around the spring mounting. This type of stuff can put things in the wrong place if not performed properly with spring alignment in mind. The later cars have the crank bearing with the rounded U-bolts. The early ones have the flat bearing for use with the squared off U-bolts. Just make sure you have all the correct stuff and that the bottom plate fits the thickness of the installed spring pack.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:31 PM   #7
DannL

Thanks all. My guess was close then. Eventually I can see myself pulling the radiator. I might be able to see why things don't line up correctly.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
katy

Are you sure that the front of the engine is centered?
Old 09-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #9
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannL View Post
Thanks all. My guess was close then. Eventually I can see myself pulling the radiator. I might be able to see why things don't line up correctly.
You may have to pull it. The radiator( and shell) can slide laterally a small amount also in the elongated holes to help attain proper hood to shell gaps, but as stated the top bearing can't slide 1/2" unless the tabs or retaining holes are worn. Check the front motor mount and it's hole for wear. The later mount didn't use the brass washer in the cross member hole. Hopefully the (stock) rear mounts are OK.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Only the 30-1 has long radiator holes to be able to move the radiator sideways a bit. The 29-9 has a round hole, so no side movement. As mentioned, maybe the engine isn't centered in the front.
Radiator shell, crank bearing, crankshaft bolt......which ones do and don't line up?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #11
1931 flamingo

Floater mounts??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:49 PM   #12
Ranchero50

Lightbulb Re: Loosening front spring bracket . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannL View Post
I figured mine out tonight. Ford cast the alignment pins on the bottom of the bracket offset @ 1/4" and drilled the crossmember holes to match. I have no idea why they did but turning the bracket around on the cross member took care of the misalignment issue. Installed wrong the hole is @ 1/2" misaligned from the crank center line.

So at rest with the tires loaded, remove the cotter pins and castle nuts from the U bolts, pop them up and flipping the bracket should take care of your problem. I have a bare chassis so I can't comment on what else needs removed to get there.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:45 PM   #13
DannL

Interesting. Maybe that's the problem I have. The bearing through-holes are elongated so movement would be possible. The front motor mount is centered in it's hole, making me assume the motor front is also centered on the frame. I hate assuming . . . cuz I'm guaranteed to be wrong.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:57 PM   #14
Ranchero50

My front engine mount measured the same side to side to the frame so the crank C/L is centered in the frame. Once you pop the bearing block out and look at it'll you'll have a Homer moment. I also noticed that my U bolts were running at an angle in the back. They were offset to the driver side of the holes where they go through the cross member.

I still haven't figured out why they did it that way.