Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2020, 08:30 PM   #1
Thearne3

Default ‘29 Phaeton Upholstery Color

I’m reading the Judging Standards and they seem to say that ‘29 Phaetons had only one upholstery color: blue-grey colonial grain (Page 12-2). I don’t have the latest revisions (only 1 and 2), but surely black and brown were also options?

Thanks...
Thearne3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: ‘29 Phaeton Upholstery Color

You got it right the first time. From 2016 Revisons of the RG&JS. Brown in 28. Blue gray colonial artificial leather in 29.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-P1160025.jpg (50.4 KB, 20 views)
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
Thearne3

Unfortunately, haven’t found any one that makes such a kit. Where would I find a sample of the color?
Old 10-26-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
Mike Peters

https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com

Call Mike at Classtique. He will send you samples and prices. They make complete kits for 29 Phaetons. Seat cushion covers, body and door panels, including all fasteners, etc. needed for the job. Incidentally, you don't have to go with the 29 vinyl if you don't like it. If you like the 28 brown better, then go for it. It's your car. I got an interior kit from classtique 4 years ago and installed it in our Phaeton. It fit just fine.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
gz

Interesting. Awhile back I was looking at a very nice 1929 Phaeton that was a recent AACA Senior winner. It had an extremely well done interior but it was the blue/gray material. The interior color looked funny and I was wondering if it was correct as I am more familiar with the black or brown material typically seen in 1928-29 open cars.

Did 1929 roadsters use this color as well? Just curious.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:42 PM   #6
Mike Peters

Interesting. Awhile back I was looking at a very nice 1929 Phaeton that was a recent AACA Senior winner. It had an extremely well done interior but it was the blue/gray material. The interior color looked funny and I was wondering if it was correct as I am more familiar with the black or brown material typically seen in 1928-29 open cars.

Did 1929 roadsters use this color as well? Just curious.

Yes.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #7
springerpete

Yes, '29 roadsters used the blue-grey in the cockpit but the rumble was the brown/tan color. I am curious whenever I see a '29 because it seems that most all of them are brown both front and back. My '29 roadster cockpit is pretty worn and I want to replace it. Classtique offers the blue-grey but there is an extra charge above the brown-tan. I guess next spring I will have to decide. Bill
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:27 PM   #8
Thearne3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com

Call Mike at Classtique. He will send you samples and prices. They make complete kits for 29 Phaetons. Seat cushion covers, body and door panels, including all fasteners, etc. needed for the job. Incidentally, you don't have to go with the 29 vinyl if you don't like it. If you like the 28 brown better, then go for it. It's your car. I got an interior kit from classtique 4 years ago and installed it in our Phaeton. It fit just fine.
Thanks, Mike. I made the call and Mike was very helpful. They do get a premium (both interior and tops) compared to, say, Cartouche...
Old 11-09-2020, 08:22 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thearne3 View Post
Unfortunately, haven’t found any one that makes such a kit. Where would I find a sample of the color?
There is no one that manufactures a kit with the correct material. If you want the correct color material, you must make it yourself by dying the vinyl. Also, the door panels offered by the kit manufacturers are not correct either as they are not fabric covered. Therefore as Mike Peters suggested, if you are going to go with something non-authentic, then you may want to consider picking something you like.

Just for reference, below are some pictures of what the material and the door & cowl panels are supposed to look like.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote