Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
Randy/In

Default Oil pump gasket

Hi, Is there a gasket between the oil pump housing and cover on a 50# long style pump?. Also does any one have a source for the rivet installed in the oil pump drive gear and impeller shaft?. Thanks, Randy/In.
Randy/In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
G.M.

Default Re: Oil pump gasket

If your talking about the gasket on the bottom end plate at the bottom of the gears there is a THIN gasket. This gasket is about the thickness of a brown paper bag. If the gasket is to thick it will lose pressure. To thin and the gears can scrape on the cover plate. G.M.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Russ/40

Keep in mind, the gears are supposed to ride on the cover plate lubricated surface.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
G.M.

The gears don't want to be a tight fit against the plate. I would guess about .0005 to .001 clearance which should listed somewhere in the Ford service bulletins. The clearance I gave is about the thickness of a film of oil in a bushing or bearing. This is one of the reasons I have posted for years to test every oil pump with the drive gear removed and powered by a 1/2" drill. The pump direction is the same as drilling a hole. Attached picture shows my simple pump tester. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0206.jpg (44.1 KB, 109 views)
Old 03-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
scooder

Got any other pics of that there tester please? I think I get the jist, but pics from different angles would help.
I take it the pump part that normally sits in the block, somehow goes inside their somehow?
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
G.M.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I don't have other pictures. The heavy wall plastic tube is bored .008 to .010 smaller than the 2 OD's of the pump that go in the block. This allows you to tap it in the pump to seal it. There is a hole drilled and taped 1/8" pipe in the center, don't tap the threads to deep or the pipe will not allow the plastic tube to go on. Use a nipple, tee, gauge and a barb fitting for the plastic tube. Put a quart of oil in the drain pan with the pump pick up in the oil and turn the drill on. It will pump in about 2 or 3 turns of the drill. Bend the tube to put restriction in the flow of oil. The more restriction the higher the pressure. These pumps will pump 80 or 90 ibs pressure. You need the restriction to see that the pump makes pressure. A bad pump will pump oil just by turning the drive gear by hand but as soon as it gets a restriction it doesn't make any pressure. The output pressure can the be adjusted by the bypass valve on the later pumps or the valley bypass on the early ones. Spin the engine with the plugs out on 12 volts to adjust the valley bypass. G.M.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
scooder

Yep, got it, was how I thunk.
Thanks.
Martin.,
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
34billct

I never seen a gasket on a long 50# pump between cover 18-6616 and body of pump, is there a part # for the gasket ?
34billct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
Randy/In

Thanks for the replies, this pump will be going together without a gasket. the gasket would add .008" to the pump clearance to cover.
Randy/In is offline   Reply With Quote