Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
38 Ford Pickup

Default On-Off Battery Cable 6volt

Forum Members

Does anyone know if they make a complete cable with the on/off shut off for the battery terminal for a 6 volt.

I have been looking but just find these cheesy clamp types.

thanks Jeff

PS
Cancer SUCKS
38 Ford Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
supereal

Default Re: On-Off Battery Cable 6volt

I've been using those "cheesy" clamp type battery cutoff switches for years with no problems. We buy them from C&G. I like them because there is no voltage drop across he switch as long as the knob is tightened firmly. They sell two types. The one that mounts on the battery post is A-14300-C, $13. There is also a permanent mount type, A-14300-D, $30.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Randy/In

You can look at the ones Mcmaster Carr shows in their online catalog. that is where I got mine.
Randy/In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:42 AM   #4
tiger.1000

Default Re: On-Off Batteryeption of the turnscrew Cable 6volt

In theory the A-14300-C is a good idea but in practice they are pretty useless. With the exception of the turn screw they are made of cast zinc (MAZAK) and produce a high resistance.

If you have time get some big chunks of brass and make one. Throw away the original with the exception of the plastic insulator.

I created the positive terminal tapered hole using a SNAP-ON battery terminal cleaner.

Shame to miss a couple of episodes of Wagon Train but well worth it !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BATTERY ISOLATOR 008.JPG (74.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg BATTERY ISOLATOR 004.JPG (84.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg BATTERY ISOLATOR 007.JPG (83.8 KB, 54 views)
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
Clem Clement

On my cheapo terminal with the green knob, I found that it seems tougher to tighten the knob. I dissembled the piece and found that chucks of the plastic insulator were being cut off by the knob and blocking a good connection.
Thanks tiger.1000 for the info that the switch is made of junk metal.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
G.M.

I went through a number of the green knob cut off switches do to poor contact. Switched to Cole Hersee disconnects and no problems since. You need to adapt them to a battery terminal fitting. G.M.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
19Fordy

I think these are made in the USA made out of brass.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Post-Bat...c92bba&vxp=mtr
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
tiger.1000

Fordy.....NOPE.....only difference is the black knob. I've searched high and low for a solid brass version and I've yet to find one
Old 08-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #9
47COE

I use a battery disconnect switch like this:

I got it at my local auto parts store and it has been trouble free for many years now.

Tom
47COE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
tiger.1000

Coe,

That's a good switch but not always the easiest to mount
Old 08-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #11
deuce_roadster

My battery disconnect is the ground strap. With it adjusted so that it goes completely on the post tightly with a slight downward twist I have never in several years had any electrical issues with either charging or turning the car over. It comes off with some effort but there is nothing to wear out or fail.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
wisbangman

I have a very nice disconnect switch in one of my cars, that happens to be a 12 volt car.The switch is called a " knife " switch. Sorry I do not have a photo. It looks like some of the very old electrical switch's. It is has a long lever made from brass . if the switch is thrown one way, the circut is made, if thrown the other way, the circut is open. I have never had an issue with this type of disconnect and wish I had a couple more.
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
PeteVS

McMaster Carr has both types. The "turn the knob" type they sell is brass. For wisbangman, they have the knife switches with both vertical throw and horizontal throw!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#battery-dis...itches/=tfuu6s
Old 08-26-2014, 04:16 AM   #14
tiger.1000

So from the UK I emailed McMaster asking them to confirm that part no: 7110K11 was indeed made of solid brass and not brass plated zinc pot metal (or similar).

As per their website and true to their word they replied within minutes.

Here's their replies:

1) From Shadi......yes No 7110K11 is made of solid brass"

having my doubts I asked Shadi to confirm this as I was in the UK and didn't want to order something which was unsuitable. Second reply came from Aaron

2) From Aaron....."we decline not to bid".....and can't ship things out of the US due to export/import regulations.....blah blah blah

I then suggested that they could ship this to someone in the US (a friend) who would then send it to me in the UK......to which I received a reply from Jeff-G

3) From Jeff G......his reply was so long I can barely remember it but something to the effect that US export regulations are so complex that it is impossible to send this to anyone other than an accredited international customer.....sorry we can't do business with you.....blah blah blah

Moral of the story being...."all that glitters is not gold " and "caveat emptor"
Old 08-26-2014, 04:19 AM   #15
koates

Hi tiger.1000 Are you saying the black knob USA battery terminal switch is NOT MADE OF BRASS. They say theirs is superior to china junk, but do not state anywhere that they are BRASS !! McMaster state theirs are BRASS but maybe their sales/advertising staff only think they are BRASS because they look like Brass. The green knob China type is a die cast zinc with a brass looking plating/wash/dip over the top. After a fair amount of use the female thread in the bottom casting wears the brass coating away and becomes very rough and this is where the bad connection and high resistance fault occurs. The actual real Brass threaded male stud attached to the green knob is usually OK and the only good part of the whole switch. Has anyone actually filed (with a hand file) on the black knob or McMaster types to establish some REAL BRASS. We only have the china ones here in Australia so I cant easily check them. These green knob switches cause a lot of trouble in vehicles and boats and for the average joe it is difficult to locate the often intermittent problem. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:49 AM   #16
tiger.1000

Kevin.....you're right of course. Another email to Jeff G and he replied....."sorry we don't have any international customers who keep this product and besides all the information regarding this product No 7110K11 is clearly listed in our catalogue, WHICH, from memory is where we started off ! Thus one concludes that the green knob versions are crap and that the chances are that the black knob versions are also crap and the only difference between the two is the colour of the knob and a bit of smart advertising from vendors who state that the black knob versions are better than the green knob versions !

What a bunch of KNOBS !

Definitely worth missing two episodes of Wagon Train and one of Rowdy Yates swinging a lasso !
Old 08-26-2014, 05:13 AM   #17
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbangman View Post
I have a very nice disconnect switch in one of my cars, that happens to be a 12 volt car.The switch is called a " knife " switch. Sorry I do not have a photo. It looks like some of the very old electrical switch's. It is has a long lever made from brass . if the switch is thrown one way, the circut is made, if thrown the other way, the circut is open. I have never had an issue with this type of disconnect and wish I had a couple more.
x2. Mine's made of copper.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 AM   #18
PeteVS

Nobody here has any first hand knowledge that McMaster's switches are made of something other than brass. They're a big outfit that sells primarily to quality conscious industrial customers, not penny pinching hobbyists. As a result, they most likely purchase first rate products, do quality inspections, and represent them correctly. The fact that they won't discuss anything with a foreign customer probably springs from an unpleasant experience they've had which instituted a policy of- 1. Not selling to foreign customers and- 2. Since they're not selling to foreign customers, they won't provide customer service to foreign customers.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #19
36Bill

I use a switch like 47coe. I mount it as a ground cutoff using one terminal to mount it to the frame and the other to the ground strap. It is under the hood and uses a hole that was already there so I can take it out without any trace.

Bill
Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #20
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
Fordy.....NOPE.....only difference is the black knob. I've searched high and low for a solid brass version and I've yet to find one
TIGER, You are correct. I ran a smooth file across my "brass" and it revealed a silver color, like zinc. Wish I had a block of copper to make one from scratch.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote