Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Pete pa

Default v12 lincoln drive train

I bought a lincoln v12 rolling chassis today. I would like to know how to tell the year of engine and where I can find parts. The motor turns over by hand so its not locked up. The guy I got it from said he thinks its a 46 but didn't know for sure. The motor is missing the distributor caps, coil,fuel pump & stand and the pushrod. Is there anyone that makes an adapter kit like they make for the v8 engine to use a late model coil? The trans is a overdrive unit and it is missing a lever that I think shifts the overdrive and it has a hole that looks like the speedometer gear would fit in,but it has a speedometer gear on the torque tube.The rear is complete with juice brakes and drums, the front axle is complete also.Are these the bendix backing plates that can be used to replace the lockheed brakes on the early Fords? Thanks in advance for any information.
Pete pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: v12 lincoln drive train

With it having an OD transmission I bet it's a 46-48. No one I know of makes a coil adapter for the V12 . The V 12 unlike the Ford V8 has two separate ignition systems including two coils but made in one unit . All the other parts you mentioned are available. That hole in the tranission could be where the OD solenoid goes or the governer
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
V12Bill

Theare is an adaptor plate to use two regular coils in place of the Lincoln coil. I think Jerry Richman was making these. Check the LZOC club site under venders. The hole that you saw in the transmission that you thought was for a speedometer drive, is probably the OD governor location. Cheak the serial number on the frame. There is one on the front crossmembr near the left water pump and one on the left frame rail near the dip for the gas tank filler tube. On 47 and 48 models the rear number is near the shock arm on the left rear rail. 47 models start with 7H XXXXXX , 48 models start with 8H XXXXXX. 46 models start with just H XXXXXX. If the engine is correct, 42 to 48 have a 4 bolt carb. On the engine check the oil sender location and there should be 3 outlets. One is plugged, one for the sender and one for the oil filter return line. Engines from 1940 to 48 had these. If you can get production charts, you should be able to get the year from the serial number.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
V12Bill

PS The rear brakes are the desirable Bendix brakes that bolt up to front spindles and rear housings. Remove the parking brake mechanism if you install them on the front of your Ford. You can use your Ford drums with these backing plates.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
frenchy dehoux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete pa View Post
I bought a lincoln v12 rolling chassis today. I would like to know how to tell the year of engine and where I can find parts. The motor turns over by hand so its not locked up. The guy I got it from said he thinks its a 46 but didn't know for sure. The motor is missing the distributor caps, coil,fuel pump & stand and the pushrod. Is there anyone that makes an adapter kit like they make for the v8 engine to use a late model coil? The trans is a overdrive unit and it is missing a lever that I think shifts the overdrive and it has a hole that looks like the speedometer gear would fit in,but it has a speedometer gear on the torque tube.The rear is complete with juice brakes and drums, the front axle is complete also.Are these the bendix backing plates that can be used to replace the lockheed brakes on the early Fords? Thanks in advance for any information.
Pete

Give me a call tomorrow at my office around 9:00 AM Arizona time I will let you know how you can tell what year is your engine.

Frenchy

(800 )7640406 or (602)2578680
frenchy dehoux is offline   Reply With Quote