Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
flatheadfan

Default Something is going "clunk"

I just finished putting hydraulic brakes on a '36. Braking is now sure and straight but on occasion I get a distinct "clunk" Unfortunately, I can't tell exactly where it is coming from (my hearing could be better).

I did have the rear axle apart to change an axle shaft that had bad threads. I measured the old housing gasket thickness (left side) and came up with varying measurements of 0.005" to 0.012". I installed an 0.010" figuring things would probably crush the gasket 0.002" thinner. Upon driving the rear axle seems normal with no howling or noise on turns. One thing I did notice on reassembly was the right axle shaft moved in and out about 3/16". Installing the hub, new axle key and torquing things to 220+ pounds didn't affect this in and out motion. No problem on the left side.

I ran a "search" but couldn't come up with anyone having this exact problem.

Need some help on this. Thanks

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Something is going "clunk"

Any chance the U joint is worn out?
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
flatheadfan

I thought of that but it wasn't causing any problems before I started with the brakes.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
deuce_roadster

Check the rear hubs again. When I have them apart I take them up to torque in about 3 steps with a drive around the block between each before I put the cotter pin in.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
rheltzel

I apologize if this seems way too obvious, but did you check the tightness of your lug nuts? Loose lug nuts can cause a clunking sound, a lesson I learned the hard way.
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Axle Moving In/Out 3/16": Something about this sure seems wrong to me. If this were true, then one would think the spiders are barely engaging the axle (if the slop is there), or the whole differential carrier is moving around - would have to clunk like mad in my mind and can't be right. Also, I would think it would damage something in short order.

I do know that there is about a 3/16" width difference in the early banjo widths - versus later, could somebody have installed a mix-match of part? Just thinking out loud.

I'm not an expert on these early axles, but I'd call somebody who is - like the guys at HotRod Works:

3719 S Lake Ave, Caldwell, ID 83605
(208) 455-7971
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
APDAVE

How about the wishbone rubber ball. Dave
APDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:03 AM   #8
flatheadfan

Update!

First, thanks guys for the suggestions. And, as suggested, I re-tightened the wheels, checked the front wishbone ball and re-torqued the rear hubs. All to no avail. In a last ditch effort I decided to pull all the drums off to see if anything ugly was going on. I think I found the culprit.

The rear wheels have the usual emergency brake lever to pull back the rear shoe. Upon closer inspection the arm on the right wheel appeared to have a lot of play at the pin hole. Apparently, over time the pin hole in the shoe had become oblong from use. The hole was worn enough that it allowed the shoe to move sideways beyond the shoe itself. As a result, when the brakes were applied the "clunk" I was hearing was the arm coming in contact with the drum. There was no problem with the left side, everything was tight and worked properly. Fortunately, I had a new set of NOS shoes so I changed both sides of the rear axle. Result- No more clunk, everything working as it should!!

Again, thanks for the help.

Tom
Old 10-31-2015, 08:53 AM   #9
Bored&Stroked

I'm still wondering on the axle shaft movement - doesn't this also mean that the drum is moving back and forth 3/16" on the right side? If this is true, then I can imagine parts wearing out in funny manners. Let us know - am concerned about this issue in general.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:01 PM   #10
john in illinois

I too would be concerned with that much play. The endplay is governed by the end of the axle gear against the the spider cross. 3/16 would be huge wear. Also if you replaced the right axle I do not see how the left axle would change endplay. If it was mine I would take the carrier out and see what is moving that much. You can check end play with the carrier on a bench.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:16 PM   #11
flatheadfan

First, I replaced the left axle (bad thread). The right axle had a bad bearing which was replaced at a local machine shop. While it was there he inspected the spider and axle gear mesh and could find nothing wrong but once everything was together the 3/16" end play was seen. After everything was torqued down the play seemed to disappear. I admit this is a little puzzling and probably does need a further check but current health issues will need to put this on the back burner for a while and I do have a long winter season closing in and the barn is unheated!

Tom
Old 11-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
Bored&Stroked

Hey, yah got it back together before Winter . . . you can always tear it apart next spring if you get the urge! Good job all in all . . .