Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Default What do you use to reapir steering wheel cracks?

Like most others, my 30 steering wheel has cracks near the hub.

What kind of "gookenpucky" do you use to fill the cracks? Methods?

Larry

(reapir? Gawd..)
Larry Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
WestCoast

Default Re: What do you use to reapir steering wheel cracks?

pc 7, get it at most hardware stores, clean the wheel,V the cracks, apply the pc 7 allow to dry, file and sand and paint
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

Lampblack, mixed in resin, does a good job, also. It's a good nail polish too.
Bill W.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Halswell

Recently I repaired the steering wheel for the 31 coupe I am restoring. It was a nice wheel not warn much with really good lines but with cracks and chips, too nice to replace. I got hold of a badly damaged un repairable wheel and filed lots of the compound from it with a fine file. I then bought a quanty of cheap epoxy glue (2pot) made by CRC and when mixing this up added the original compound filings. Most of the cracks I veed out a little first and then filled with the mixture. I made sure I filled all damaged parts so there was excess to first file then carefully sand with fine wet and dry. I also made a sharp engraving like tool to scrape profiles back where this was required. This all takes time and patience but got there in the end. When it was all sanded up I used spray on silicon and polished. It came up really good not perfect but I like patena and it doesent need painting in my opinion. Worked for me!Remember it takes 3 beers to understand a Kiwi, happy motoring.
Halswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

In my toolbox I have quite a collection of old dental picks, given to me by my now deceased Dentist. I find SO MANY uses for them! They're MARVELOUS carving tools.
Bill W.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #6
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halswell View Post
Recently I repaired the steering wheel for the 31 coupe I am restoring. It was a nice wheel not warn much with really good lines but with cracks and chips, too nice to replace. I got hold of a badly damaged un repairable wheel and filed lots of the compound from it with a fine file. I then bought a quanty of cheap epoxy glue (2pot) made by CRC and when mixing this up added the original compound filings. Most of the cracks I veed out a little first and then filled with the mixture. I made sure I filled all damaged parts so there was excess to first file then carefully sand with fine wet and dry. I also made a sharp engraving like tool to scrape profiles back where this was required. This all takes time and patience but got there in the end. When it was all sanded up I used spray on silicon and polished. It came up really good not perfect but I like patena and it doesent need painting in my opinion. Worked for me!Remember it takes 3 beers to understand a Kiwi, happy motoring.

Good idea, using the original material in the mix !
I may be wrong but I believe they were made from rubber. I wonder if, instead of epoxy, you could use the same rubber cement used for patching inner tubes to mix with the scrapings? Whaddaya think?
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:35 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Remember it takes 3 beers to understand a Kiwi, happy motoring.[/QUOTE]
Halswell,
I understand KIWI's, Had 2 from New Zealand, for BREAKFAST!, They're LUSCIOUS & highest in minerals & vitamins of ANY FRUIT.
We grow them here in California, but the harvest season is backwards, from Down Under.
Our valley is reputed to grow the widest variety of FRUITS, VEGGIES, GRAINS, NUTS & LIVESTOCK FOOD, for our HUGE Dairy & Livestock industry, than anywhere in the WORLD!
We are often referred to as, "THE FOOD BASKET OF THE NATION" Hope this season breaks our 6 YEAR DROUGHT, We've "somehow"?? survived, by pumping ground water for our irrigation systems.
Proud Bill W.