Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2020, 09:42 PM   #1
Carl

Default 32 Roadster

Can a 32 Henry roadster rumble seat lid be used to convert to a trunk lid? I have the trunk model hinges and the pivot bolts. Thanks.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:47 PM   #2
qmdv

Default Re: 32 Roadster

You will have to weld up the handle hole. If this is an original steel body (using the word Henry implies such) I think it foolish to be modifying it. If it is a Brookville or other then just do it.
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:40 AM   #3
DavidG

The basic inner and outer panels are the same for both lids with the finished lids differing only in the number and location of holes and the presence or absence of clinch nuts for the rumble lid hinges and deck lid prop on the left side.

You will need to install the panel inside the lower back panel of the body that serves as a base for the deck lid stops and latch catch. Likely you'll end up having to use the Brookville panel for that purpose. And you''ll need a deck lid latch assembly as the spacing between the inner and outer panels differs from the top of the lid to the bottom of the lid and the shank on your handle will also have to be shortened. If your handle assembly is an original in good shape, perhaps you can trade with someone seeking a rumble lid handle as these days the deck lid version is more in demand than the rumble lid version. If you make the conversion and have a mint keyed handle, please send me a PM and I might have a swap for you.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:16 PM   #4
Karl Wescott

There is a reinforcing plate for the hinge bearing riveted to the upper corners of the trunk lid, This may or may not be present on a rumble lid. Also the "D" clinch nuts for the trunk prop may or may not be installed (the holes will be punched).
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:13 PM   #5
Carl

Thanks, all, for the information. I might reconsider and leave it a rumble seat car. The rumble lid I have is near mint.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #6
DavidG

in my opinion, a wise decision.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:38 AM   #7
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Thanks, all, for the information. I might reconsider and leave it a rumble seat car. The rumble lid I have is near mint.
Carl, although I'm a "fat fender" Ford guy, if I had a chance to buy a car like yours, I'd be over the moon about the rumble seat!! Am a sucker for the kids and grandkids!!! A piece of automotive history, but just my opinion!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:59 PM   #8
Carl

Yes, rumble seats were a sporty option back in the day, I'll bet. But with todays traffic and laws requiring seat belts/shoulder harnesses(necessary), their safe use is somewhat limited. I was looking for a way to get more room in the trunk area for luggage and old Ford parts. I'll just leave the rumble setup and remove the seats. Probally easier to load over the side of the car than lean across bumper, etc anyway.