Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Swap Meet > Wanted > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
Jack1937fordpu

Default Wanted-working horn for 37 Ford pu

City: Leland
State: NC

I need a horn that works for my 1937 Ford pickup or any information on how to repair a horn that does not work. I have several that do not work. Another question: when testing a horn to blow, must the wiring go thru the horn relay????
Jack1937fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Barn Junk

Default Re: Wanted-working horn for 37 Ford pu

On the early Ford horns there is no relay. The power goes directly to the horn in one wire and the other wire grounds through the horn button. The 32-34 cars and 32-37 truck horns hang out in the weather and get in bad shape over the years. The later horns are under the sheet metal and survive in better shape. Since most of the inner horn mechanisms, of the same manufacturer, are very similar they can usually be changed out. I like to find and use the Sparton later truck horn innards to repair the earlier fender mounted Sparton horns because there seem to be a lot of them at swap meets and they are usually inexpensive.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Jack1937fordpu

Default Re: Wanted-working horn for 37 Ford pu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Junk View Post
On the early Ford horns there is no relay. The power goes directly to the horn in one wire and the other wire grounds through the horn button. The 32-34 cars and 32-37 truck horns hang out in the weather and get in bad shape over the years. The later horns are under the sheet metal and survive in better shape. Since most of the inner horn mechanisms, of the same manufacturer, are very similar they can usually be changed out. I like to find and use the Sparton later truck horn innards to repair the earlier fender mounted Sparton horns because there seem to be a lot of them at swap meets and they are usually inexpensive.
Thank you for your response. I am going to Hershey in October and maybe, just maybe I can find a working horn. I appreciate the information about the relay.
Jack
Jack1937fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote