Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
khschs

Default Intake port repair

Well, I've really did it this time. While porting the #7 intake I went through the top of the port. I understand that you can reshape intake ports with some kind of epoxy. If this is true it stands to reason that it could stop a small leak. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? What material and technique was used to satisfactorily fix the problem? All help appreciated
Keith
khschs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
34PKUP

Default Re: Intake port repair

Cast iron, Aluminum or other???
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:31 PM   #3
lonewolf

Have it tig welded
lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:32 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

How could it be anything other than cast-iron, were talking the block here correct? Intake port.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:58 PM   #5
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by khschs View Post
Well, I've really did it this time. While porting the #7 intake I went through the top of the port. I understand that you can reshape intake ports with some kind of epoxy. If this is true it stands to reason that it could stop a small leak. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? What material and technique was used to satisfactorily fix the problem? All help appreciated
Keith
You can try epoxy but it very seldom works.
I have gone through on many blocks and I was always able to fix them with silver solder. Practice on a junk block.
As you discovered, there is not much meat on the top. The sides and bottom can go out quite away. An ultrasonic test gauge is very helpful for porting but probes that will go in the ports are quite expensive.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:24 AM   #6
khschs

It is the block which is cast iron (59a). I don't think I'll be able to get a tig torch in there. I can't really see it, just feel it with my finger. I'm hoping that some kind of epoxy applied by hand might solve the problem. Keith
khschs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:32 AM   #7
marko39

I would try Devcon as this stuff hardens like steel. I have used it several times and it really works. The last time I got it from Graingers. It does. have a shelf life so avoid using any that's not fresh.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
jimvette59

I agree with marko39 I have used Devcon products for over fifty years and it works. You must clean the area thoroughly and read the instructions. JMHO
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #9
Hal Beatty

Another possibility is Moroso A-B epoxy...
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #10
frnkeore

Maybe this will help or at least help a future porter.

This is a 1935 intake port. I doubt if any thing changed over the years but, I'm not sure of that.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline

Last edited by frnkeore; 12-30-2019 at 01:20 PM.
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #11
Kurt in NJ

I was doing a valve job on a different flathead, there's evidence of "porting"attempts, in the #1 intake there's epoxy, didn't have coolant leaking problems ---- been glued for at least 15 years, I stayed away from that area, mane of the guides were cracked from improperly installed, runs good now, even though it has adjustable tappets I ground the stems for clearance, easier than playing with 3 wrenches,(the final adjustment is done running , hot anyway -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2210.jpg (47.2 KB, 83 views)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #12
JWL
Member Emeritus

It takes mucho cleaning before applying any epoxy type material. This means the outside area(in water jacket) needs attention just like the port interior. I would use the original, slow cure, JB Weld. The puddle will be self-leveling so there will be a need to put a "dam" in place to prevent all the JB from dripping thru the hole. I suggest looking for the hole at the water-jacket side and applying your material from there with the block sitting approximately level at the hole. You can stuff the surrounding area with paper towels to control excess spillage into unwanted areas. Next day clear out the paper towels and touchup the port interior and prepare to run it. Good Luck.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #13
tubman

I've been hearing about Devcon and how good it is for years now. When I go to look for some, there are literally dozens of different types. Which type do any of you recommend?

Last edited by tubman; 12-30-2019 at 07:16 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:57 PM   #14
Ronnieroadster

One time when porting a French Flathead block a hole developed in the top area of a port. This hole was not small so prior to using JB weld epoxy to cover the port surface I first took a piece of scrap aluminum flat stock about 1/4 inch thick that I slowly filed to a shape that fit snugly into that new hole. Once I was happy with the fit I then covered the now partially plugged hole with the epoxy. The repair worked perfectly.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #15
Tim Ayers

Ronnie used Belzona 1212 for a hole that appeared in the outside of the water jacket on my block after it was baked and cleaned. They have two popular products: 1111 & 1212. 1111 can only be used for "surgical-level" cleaned areas. 1212 was recommended by their field rep for it tolerates less than surgically cleaned areas.

The hole in the block must have been filled by some other type of epoxy that was stripped away in the cleaning process. I did a ton of research and it kept coming back to Belzona as being the best epoxy out there.

It is the only epoxy approved by Caterpillar for repairs on their equipment, so that tells you something.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #16
marko39

The last time I used Devcon it was to repair a rust hole on the bottom of a 80 gallon air compressor tank. Could only clean up the outside but repair was successful and tank holds 175 psi. I think it was called Liquid Steel.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:04 PM   #17
Fordestes

Without seeing the hole , I have been known to use either Devcon ,marine Tex or J.B.weld , I done a repair in my new chev. powered 454 motor home many years ago.
I used a small shop vac. and applied vacuum to the water jacket, I took the Cold weld compound and fed some in the cracked area to get penetration then smoothed the top area off. This got me to the dealership for warranty about a thousand miles away , also about 30 years ago I repaired an 8 B.A. block with a small freeze crack over an inch long using the same method , it is still running fine to this day. I also patched a damaged radiator in a D12 Cat Dozer and continued to work it for another 10 years, Just a suggestion as to what can be done. it depends on the location of the crack and to what degree of damage sometimes dictate the method most suitable .
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote