Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
khschs

Default Engine location

I wonder what the dimension is, front to back, for the location of a 59A engine in a 32 frame. A good reference point might be the center of the radiator mount bolt hole to the center of the water pump motor mount bolt hole.
Keith
khschs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: Engine location

i have never built a 32, but if you have the k member, trans mount and trans, that tells the front to back story. original front mounts will still mount on a 59a block if you have a set, otherwise shoot for the crank nut to center in the spring mount / hand crank loop.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
Bored&Stroked

I guess the rear question is . . . what are you trying to do? As another guy mentioned, using the 32 motor mounts - puts the 59AB in exactly the same location as a 32 block. Are you trying to setup/modify a frame or????
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
Flathead Fever

It is exactly the same place as it was with the original '32 V8. The blocks are exactly the same length. The original '32 motor mounts will bolt right to the front your '59A block. The '32 motor mount holes are already there if your using the original front crossmember. Most people are not going to use those original motor mounts but they should really consider, epsecially them if they have a really nice original, perfect uncut rust free original '32 frame. A really nice frame can sell for up to $7000.00. They are rarer than unicorns. If your piecing together a '32 frame or saving a cutup frame then you probably better off to use the 59A water pump mounts and bolting/welding them to the sides of the frame.

That is where a lot of people make a mistake. They stick the motor mount brackets flush with the top of the frame rail. What this does is lift the front of the motor up which causes the back of the intake to hit the firewall. Then they end up cutting up their firewall to clear the intake. Never once thinking that the frame left the factory with a flathead V8 fitting in there.

When I very first discovered flatheads I bought a chopped '32 3-window basket-case project. The flathead engine mounts were already welded flush with the top of the frame rails. The 59A engine was sitting in there. The firewall had sharpie scribbles all over where they had planned to cut it because it was hitting the intake. I called the shop that had did the work and I asked, why did you weld the mounts flush? Thinking there must be some top secret hot rod reason I didn't know about? Maybe to level out the carbs with a dropped axle. These guys must know what they are doing. I didn't know anything about this stuff back then but I knew enough to know something didn't seem right? The "professional hot rod shop" owner said, "we've never put a flathead in a '32 before." There is a red flag! Then the guy said, " we looked at photos in magazines and it looked like the mounts were welded flush with the top of the frame". He had boxed that frame too, welded in front and rear Model A crosssmembers. He welded on it so much he warped it pretty bad. I bought another unmolested '32 frame. Bolted the 59A motor in using original '32 mounts and it cleared the firewall. Before I cut the motor mount arms I wasn't going to need from those 59A water pumps I bolted the rubber motor mounts onto them just to see where they do end up in a '32 frame? The top of the mounting would be down around 3/4" or 1" from the top of the frame rail. Not the rubber mount and its washers but the mounting bracket they sit on top of.

I've never used one but if you going with a C4 automatic or a S10 5 speed then you do not have a K-member to locate the engine correctly. All I can tell you is to bolt the firewall on the frame. Bolt the water pumps on the block with the motor mounts and their brackets on the water pumps. Bolt an intake on there. Slide the engine back until the intake is close to the firewall.. Make sure those motor mount brackets are below the top of frame rails and should be really close. Its raining here and my garage is detached or I would go out and take picture of the intake to firewall clearance.

Figure some way to hold that motor where you think it should go but do not weld in the mounts or bolt them in. If you are going with a different trans other than an Early Ford just wait to see what happens when you bolt it all together Make sure your trans mount, steering box, headers, driveshaft angle, radiator clearance...….. all fit. It could just be sliding that engine a 1/4-inch forward or backward might solve a problem you have not even thought about yet.

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 02-02-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
khschs

Thanks fellas for your response. What I have here is a modified 32 chassis with a model A front crossmember in the original location. The original K member has been removed and replaced with a crossmember to support a C4. Motor mounts have been welded to the side rails 9" back c-c from the radiator mount hole. The firewall has been cut. I would like to know how much set back, if any, this deviates from the stock location.
Keith
Old 02-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
cas3

sounds like you better set a dead motor and gutted trans on some wood blocks ,with the body on, and play with it until you like it. each custom application is going to have its own variables so doubt you are going to get some number that work from some one else. put up some pics and the folks here will offer some guidance as to where it should be
Old 02-02-2019, 08:18 PM   #7
qmdv

I have a totally trashed block that I saved to put in my 32 chassis to weld around, bolt up headers to and not worry.
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
khschs

Sorry fellas, it seems I cannot express myself well. All I am looking for is a dimension of the original location of a V8 engine in a 32 frame (front to rear). My frame is set up with the motor mounts located 9" back from the radiator bolt hole. I am trying to determine the setback, if any.
Thanks to all for your input.
Keith
Old 02-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #9
cas3

you may be able to get that off the frame drawings at wescotts body site. otherwise, plenty of deuces here i'm sure some one will help
Old 02-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #10
Flathead Fever

This is a measurement from the center rivet of the original '32 crossmember to the back of the water pump. It's the only spot I could measure from with the radiator in the way. Both sides measured 6 3/4 inches. That rivet should be in the same spot as the middle of your Model A crossmember where it attaches to the frame rail.

This is 59A bolted in with original 1932 motor mounts. Its sitting exactly where the original '32 engine left the factory.

For you guys attaching your motor mounts to the side-rails and using an uncut '32 firewall it is critical to get those mounts in the correct spot. Do not weld them flush with the top of the frame rail. That will lift the front of the motor higher than it originally was, which tilts the back of the engine into the firewall. The mounts should be below the top of the frame rail around 3/4" to 1". In the photo, you can see how tight that gap is back there. There is no room for error. If you have a K-member in its original location then this measurement should automatically happen. I'd still check it with the firewall in place.

This chassis has been sitting for year's. I got sidetracked on other projects. I live up against the wilderness and one night I left the side door open to the garage and eighteen rats moved in. They pissed on this chassis from one end to the other and everything else in the garage. I don't see how eighteen rats could hold fifty-gallons of pee?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190203_102019 - Copy.jpg (34.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20190203_102014 - Copy.jpg (37.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 20190203_102007 - Copy.jpg (57.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20190203_101307 - Copy.jpg (49.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20190203_101303 - Copy.jpg (43.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20190203_101342 - Copy.jpg (36.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20190203_101749 - Copy.jpg (54.3 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 02-03-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #11
khschs

Bingo! That's exactly what I was looking for ! It looks like the engine is back 2-5/8" . That should help with weight distribution.Thanks for taking the time to measure that up for me,I appreciate it very much.
Keith
Old 02-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #12
rotorwrench

The bottom line is that each different modification or alteration from original is different. All measurements are irrelevant unless you follow the model in all respects. It's not that hard to find a way to mock things up. If you weld something without mocking it up then don't be too surprised when you have to cut it out and change it.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote