Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #21
Henry Floored

Default Re: Aluminum flathead news?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Now I love flatheads, my absolute favourite engine. But even a fool with the same budget as that ally flathead when all together, can just bolt aftermarket sbc parts and get easy 500+hp.
A smog choked 150hp 350 in a 34 compared to a same size custom built flathead that when all together and running cost north of $15000, time it's got good heads and carbs and ignition, won't stand a chance.
So as above, depends on the build spec of the sbc in the 34.
Martin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Just depends on the state of tune of the SBC.
Hey man, I'm not a Chevy guy. What's a zz4? Because that crate engine in a '34 Ford (Chevord) cannot stay with the '34 MCF with the aluminum Flathead. This according to the guy that owns the Chevy powered car. Now I hope I'm not spilling beans I'm not supposed to be talking about. I don't know all the particulars but these are from a dead stop acceleration tests.

Hey I wonder what all you guys who revere the butter block chevrolets so much, would think think about the Ford 4V Cleveland? Those are the engines that the Chevy guys bitched about till they were banned at short tracks where I'm from. Sheesh!
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:43 PM   #22
48 coupe

They kinda make me sick.Guess I;m just to old .
48 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-03-2015, 01:52 AM   #23
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Floored View Post
Hey man, I'm not a Chevy guy. What's a zz4? Because that crate engine in a '34 Ford (Chevord) cannot stay with the '34 MCF with the aluminum Flathead. This according to the guy that owns the Chevy powered car. Now I hope I'm not spilling beans I'm not supposed to be talking about. I don't know all the particulars but these are from a dead stop acceleration tests.

Hey I wonder what all you guys who revere the butter block chevrolets so much, would think think about the Ford 4V Cleveland? Those are the engines that the Chevy guys bitched about till they were banned at short tracks where I'm from. Sheesh!
The 4V Cleveland is a great engine, had one in a 59 F100, it had Bonneville gears in back (2. Something) it would fry the tyres so easy, too easy. But man, what an engine!
Still not a flathead though.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote