Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default Not to say it wont happen again tomorrow

So with the virus I haven't been putting a lot of miles on the A's. I have been driving th coupe to Coffee Sunday mornings then do a bit more to get it warm before shutting down for another week. Yesterday went out to go to coffee and it just wouldn't start. Everything in the ignition is fairly new, six months or less including new coil. Checked the spark and when I would break the points with a screwdriver I could just barely see any spark. Changed the Condenser and she fired right up. I know everything in the distributor was replaced just before we got shut down. seems awfully short lived.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Not to say it wont happen again tomorrow

Seems to be complained about often. I've seen/heard of some who have to go through 3-4 new ones to get 1 good condenser.

Was the newer bad one an A and L short proof? People seem to have the best luck with A and Ls.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
Patrick L.

Condensers made in china are pure junk which I think most are made there. Just went thru a similar incident, it took 5 to find a good one. They worked fine for a matter of mere seconds. Drove me nutz.

I now carry a known good [?] spare and one on the coil just waiting to be connected.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #4
1930-Pickup

I recently purchased a new USA industrial Quality .25 microfarad capacitor on ebay. I think its an oil filled type? My plan is to mount it on the firewall and connect it to the coil. Then I'll remove the one in the distributor and put a dummy in there.

If you're like me, and you're not a fan of seeing non-original stuff, then you can simply mount the cap on the inside of the firewall.
1930-Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
Los_Control

I was working on a 67 international truck couple 4 years ago. Giving it a tuneup, condenser out of the box was bad, then I bought another and the truck started right up ... I was doing my fiddling and get it running good ... shut it off and would not start again .... same issue bad condenser.
I then went out to a shed and pulled a condenser that was on a running engine 25 years ago, installed it and end of problem.

In my case I really want to stay points, for future issues if my condenser fails, I have zero faith in a new one.
Los_Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #6
daveymc29

The guts in my distributors use the modern Mustang, 1957, I think Points and condensers. This coupe is running 12 V Neg grd due to having air to keep the bride lucid when we're out on 90 + days. Probably all chinese stuff.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #7
54vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
The guts in my distributors use the modern Mustang, 1957, I think Points and condensers. This coupe is running 12 V Neg grd due to having air to keep the bride lucid when we're out on 90 + days. Probably all chinese stuff.
I think you mean 67 as in 57 it was not a thought
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #8
Los_Control

I hear good things about pertronix if you cared to switch to electronic. I believe use your distributor and switch out your guts to use theirs. Would still look original.

Seems you talk to 10 people and always one had a bad experience. while the other 9 been trouble free for up to 10 years. Old timers claims it's best to get a coil also as a matched package. And good wires for electronic ignition.

Just a idea to kick around, I want a daily driver and still working through brakes and bodywork, and runs fine now on points. Without a good source for parts I plan to change.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:10 AM   #9
ryanheacox

In a twist of irony, the stock ignition parts being reproduced today seem to be much higher quality than their "modern" replacements.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los_Control View Post
I
Just a idea to kick around, I want a daily driver and still working through brakes and bodywork, and runs fine now on points. Without a good source for parts I plan to change.

Are you commenting about getting poor parts from vendors?

Most of the time when I order stuff I always check here for preferred vendors for the part, or ask my club and also then ask here for recommendations.

Cuts down on receiving questionable parts, or at least knowing if they will need rework.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:28 AM   #11
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
The guts in my distributors use the modern Mustang, 1957, I think Points and condensers..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54vicky View Post
I think you mean 67 as in 57 it was not a thought
But they use the same points and condensers...
Old 08-11-2020, 10:41 AM   #12
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post

Most of the time when I order stuff I always check here for preferred vendors for the part, or ask my club and also then ask here for recommendations.

Cuts down on receiving questionable parts, or at least knowing if they will need rework.
That is why I shop around and am not loyal to any one vendor. I find they all sell not so quality parts. But we have discussed this many times.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:03 AM   #13
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
But they use the same points and condensers...
Never heard of a '57 Mustang.

Last edited by katy; 08-11-2020 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Corrected typo
katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #14
Los_Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post

Specifically talking about poor ignition parts, condensers in particular.
Nice to have a quality vendor that is on the ball and takes care of their customers .... They are still getting the ignition parts from their suppliers all coming from China.
Go to Napa auto parts and they are still coming from China. Just cant get away from it.

This is not Ford specific, my first post the example was a 67 international truck. I have a 1949 dodge truck I am currently working on for a daily driver. It is easier to pull the distributor out and work on it on the bench. Not something I want to do on the side of the road in 100F weather here in West Texas.
Imagine working on a crab style distributor on the side of the road.
It just depends on what you want to do with your vehicle, restore it and show it ... or drive the wheels off of it.

I am going to drive it. And in my case, retired because of a disability. I can walk 1 or 2 miles, will take 3 days to recover from it ... I want mine as dependable as can make it.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #15
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Never heard of a '57 Mustang.
Point taken, my point (pun intended) was Ford used the same points in 1957 and the early Mustang. But I guess my meaning got lost in the translation.

Last edited by Ruth; 08-11-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:08 PM   #16
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Condensers made in china are pure junk which I think most are made there. Just went thru a similar incident, it took 5 to find a good one. They worked fine for a matter of mere seconds. Drove me nutz.
I'm going through this same scenario. It sure takes the fun out of having an antique car, the junk Chinese crap coming in here.

Henry Ford warned about bad parts back in the Model A era. He called them 'gyp parts' and he was sure right. At least you could buy quality Genuine Ford Parts hard to do today for these cars.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #17
Flathead

A & L condensers are rock solid, they will work with original points or the 57 and up "modern" points. I think most all the vendors offer them.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote