Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #21
Juergen

Default Re: Rear axle/wishbone destroyed

Place an add here for the bells and see if you get some local responses. The V8 club is big in your area. Also place an add at www.earlyfordv8.org and see if any club member in your area has some spare bells or rear ends.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #22
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
I've got a couple old cars and an airplane...now, if I could only find a boat to complete this money-sucking trifecta!
Capt, maybe you could fly him the axle housings from Tubman's place?
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #23
Seth Swoboda

I think we needed to know what your intentions are. Do you want to put the rear end of this car back to stock configuration? If so remove the tacky coil spring set up, install a transverse leaf spring and either change the axle housings or swap the entire rear end out for an unmolested one. Either of these ideas are fairly simple but will require a little sweat equity. I think your cost here to do as I suggested, as the other guys suggested, is fairly minimal in the grand scheme of owning a V8 ford.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #24
Capt Kirk

Would these work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-1948-Fo...xYo467&vxp=mtr
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #25
Vics Stuff

I would weld up the hole and re drill the new hole. any type of epoxy fillers will not hold up to the road pounding and you will be out there doing it again.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #26
Bob C

Quote:
The one on the left looks like the hole is almost wore clear through the bracket.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axlebell.jpg (54.5 KB, 74 views)
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #27
rotorwrench

I looks like a previous owner had a problem trying to remove the shackle studs. They aren't easy to get out but with the right tools they come out OK. His attempt at drilling them out was a dismal failure.

Buying used bells is like anything else. Ask the questions that count like condition of bearing & bolt bores, condition of wheel bearing surfaces (actual size is good), and any other thing that might be worn out or bent. Photos don't always tell the whole story but lots of them can't hurt.

Besides the questionable shackle stud bore, it looks like one of the wheel bearing journals has already been sleeved. There are likely better parts out there than those.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #28
Rustedjunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
I think we needed to know what your intentions are. Do you want to put the rear end of this car back to stock configuration? If so remove the tacky coil spring set up, install a transverse leaf spring and either change the axle housings or swap the entire rear end out for an unmolested one. Either of these ideas are fairly simple but will require a little sweat equity. I think your cost here to do as I suggested, as the other guys suggested, is fairly minimal in the grand scheme of owning a V8 ford.
'

It's not that I can't afford to do more. I just would like to drive my car for the rest of the summer. Right now it looks like I'm done. I called up French Lake Auto Parts and they wanted $400 for a replacement rear end. Then I would have to work on getting it over here because I don't have a truck.
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #29
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustedjunk View Post
'

It's not that I can't afford to do more. I just would like to drive my car for the rest of the summer. Right now it looks like I'm done. I called up French Lake Auto Parts and they wanted $400 for a replacement rear end. Then I would have to work on getting it over here because I don't have a truck.
Keep looking for a rear end. Put a wanted ad on this web site. Also, are you a V8 club member? If so put an add on the EFV8 club web page. If you're not a member you may think about joining. As JM35Sedan says "the $35 cost is worth the bi-monthly magazine alone". I'll tell you from experience the networking from Fordbarn and the EFV8 club is priceless.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #30
Mart

The left side may be recoverable if the remnants can be removed. As stated above, the hole should be 3/4" diameter. Now, I'm going to stick my neck out re the right hand side. As stated above, if you can get the remnants of the old bushing out, you should have a partial 3/4" hole. A bushing could be fitted and the rest of the hole packed with (again as stated above) Devcon.

In my opinion, this would be a serviceable repair, for one reason and one reason only. The weight of the car would not be on the filled side. The weight of the car would be on the original area of the hanger. I cannot think of any instance where the filled side would be asked to carry any prolonged loading.

Not ideal, but as we used to say, it would get you out of the desert.

Now, don't get me wrong, a replacement rear end would be the best bet, but, in the meantime, until a better rear end assembly turns up, it would allow the car to be used (with appropriate care).

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #31
dwaynec

Quote:
I've got a couple old cars and an airplane...now, if I could only find a boat to complete this money-sucking trifecta!
I have the boat to make your dreams come true!
Old 07-20-2017, 04:37 PM   #32
Rustedjunk

Quote:
Keep looking for a rear end. Put a wanted ad on this web site. Also, are you a V8 club member? If so put an add on the EFV8 club web page. If you're not a member you may think about joining. As JM35Sedan says "the $35 cost is worth the bi-monthly magazine alone". I'll tell you from experience the networking from Fordbarn and the EFV8 club is priceless.
I'm a member of the Early V8 Ford Club. I'll go ahead and place an ad.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #33
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynec View Post
I have the boat to make your dreams come true!
BOAT=Break out another thousand!

Seriously, I would do as Mart said, make a temp fix to get you through summer, then replace it during winter when you can.
Those new polyurethane bushings are not factory, but they sure are easy to install
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #34
Rustedjunk

Quote:
It's a hotrod plain in simple. This is my plan down the road http://www.hotrodworks.com/product/b...le-conversion/ but I am going set things up so I can drive it easy.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #35
tubman

The O/P asked for some photos of the bells I have so I sent him some. Some of you guys seem to be pretty good at judging the condition of these from just a few pictures. I'll throw a couple up here and would like your opinions, if any.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0933.jpg (67.8 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0935.jpg (58.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0938.jpg (55.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0939.jpg (53.1 KB, 49 views)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #36
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
The O/P asked for some photos of the bells I have so I sent him some. Some of you guys seem to be pretty good at judging the condition of these from just a few pictures. I'll throw a couple up here and would like your opinions, if any.
I've always thought the wheel bearing race was the most obvious and concerning. Are they pitted or excessively worn?
Old 07-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #37
tubman

Quote:
I've always thought the wheel bearing race was the most obvious and concerning. Are they pitted or excessively worn?
Just like EVERYBODY says, I think it is just surface rust and I think it should come off easily. I had a driveshaft that had been sitting for a while that had rust that looked worse than this on the yoke surface. After and overnight soak in "Rust 911" (Evaporust clone) it came out looking like new. I wouldn't want to use any kind of abrasive though. I think I should set up a fixture to soak them and then coat them with grease to prevent the rust from going any further. That will also allow me to do a closer inspection. They do look good to my casual eye now, though.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #38
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustedjunk View Post
It's a hotrod plain in simple. This is my plan down the road http://www.hotrodworks.com/product/b...le-conversion/ but I am going set things up so I can drive it easy.
That's a rear axle setup similar to what I use, except I built my own.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #39
Rustedjunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
That's a rear axle setup similar to what I use, except I built my own.
How did you do that? What's involved?
Old 07-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #40
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
The O/P asked for some photos of the bells I have so I sent him some.
I could be confused as usual, but I BELIEVE those two bells are both for the passenger-side, but what do I know? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote