Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2022, 10:03 PM   #21
ports

Default Re: First Model A

Terry. Thanks for replying. I have done a lot of reading and video watching to learn about model a maintenance. That being said, there is no better way to learn than hands on from someone who has actually performed these different required maintenances. I am hoping to find owners who would be will king to show me. I reached out to the head of the Kehigh Valley chapter of MARC but did not get a response. I know how to start and shift and perform basic maintenance. It is things like adjusting the brakes and steering column if needed that would be nice to have someone who is comfortable with doing these things walk me through. The car I purchased was built and maintained by a master mechanic who recently passed away. I believe he had the car and cared for it for 38 years. What I am looking to be able to do is continue with the care and maintenance of the car to keep it sound.Looking forward to meeting and learning from your bunch. My car will be picked up tomorrow in Mass and delivered to Pa on Saturday. I was told I could go to Harrisburg and get an antique plate the same day. Otherwise I was told I might have to wait 3-4. Onths if I mailed in the application. That would. Ea. The entire summer and fall would be wasted. Anyway thank you and looking forward to meeting you and your model a buddies. Ports
ports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:04 AM   #22
updraught

You can rebuild a Model A with only a Chev manual. Don't ask how i know. It is a simple vehicle. The master mechanic probably started by pulling things apart in his youth and seeing how they work.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:27 AM   #23
jack backer
BANNED

Boats are dry holes in the water to toss money into..Model A’s are not an investment, nor are they practical..
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:00 PM   #24
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ports View Post
Terry. Thanks for replying. I have done a lot of reading and video watching to learn about model a maintenance. That being said, there is no better way to learn than hands on from someone who has actually performed these different required maintenances. I am hoping to find owners who would be will king to show me. I reached out to the head of the Kehigh Valley chapter of MARC but did not get a response. I know how to start and shift and perform basic maintenance. It is things like adjusting the brakes and steering column if needed that would be nice to have someone who is comfortable with doing these things walk me through. The car I purchased was built and maintained by a master mechanic who recently passed away. I believe he had the car and cared for it for 38 years. What I am looking to be able to do is continue with the care and maintenance of the car to keep it sound.Looking forward to meeting and learning from your bunch. My car will be picked up tomorrow in Mass and delivered to Pa on Saturday. I was told I could go to Harrisburg and get an antique plate the same day. Otherwise I was told I might have to wait 3-4. Onths if I mailed in the application. That would. Ea. The entire summer and fall would be wasted. Anyway thank you and looking forward to meeting you and your model a buddies. Ports
As I said"Best Of Luck!" with it! In regards to greasing it, there's about a half a zillion "Zerks" . (No I'm not being funny, it's actually a Zerk fitting) on the car. Many of them probably haven't seen grease in a long time. Hopefully, they're the modern type otherwise you'll need a old time grease gun to get any grease into them. If one seems locked up and won't take any grease , then replace it.
Yes! You can go to Harrisburg, But get there early! About 8 AM. And bring lots of money! I'm pretty sure they won't take credit cards. It's been a while and I'm losing my memory, but I think cash is king at the DMV. It usually takes about six weeks for them to mail me a title when I do one by mail.
First thing I would do is jack up the front end and see what's shaking. Loose wheel bearings are common. Don't over tighten ! There's a trick to it.
This car is a + ground! A lot of the old 6 Volts were! It won't wreck it if you hook it up backwards, But I would keep it + ground and - negative "hot" side, it will run better. Check the smut in the fuel filter, dump if present. More to come!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:42 PM   #25
mhsprecher

I suggest getting the Les Andrews blue book, too. Very helpful for troubleshooting.

As to whether they are practical, i drive mine all the time. I drove it to the YMCA this morning. You may not want to take it on a long trip very often, but for around town and country roads, they are great. Anything will take a little longer due to speed and the conversations it will start.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:32 AM   #26
HD Rider

Here in Montana the antique/pioneer plates limit use to parades and car shows. I like to take to church on Sundays or out to dinner now and them so I went for regular plates on both my vintage cars.
HD Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:43 PM   #27
wwirz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ports View Post
Ports -
YOu can register the vehicle as a regular car and avoid the hassle with antique car plates. I live in New York (Corning) and my car is registered as a regular vehicle. I had plates while I stood in line
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:53 PM   #28
Terry, NJ

In regards to regular plates, Antique plates cost a one time fee of $75.00 and no inspection. Inspection can be a hassle in Pa. (Environmental crap, Puff test) Restrictions are Mileage (5000 I think) and nighttime, 6V isn't bright enough. I've never heard of anyone actually coming around and checking the mileage and I've driven into the early part of the of the evening, after dusk more than once.
Terry
Old 07-04-2022, 03:28 PM   #29
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
The first Model A, 1903.

This one is at the Ford dealer in Tacoma. Third owner. The family they got it from traded a Stetson hat for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22F4A61F-3339-4650-AFDA-837097D8D252.jpg (76.4 KB, 17 views)
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:54 AM   #30
GeneBob

First Model A. Congratulations!
You know everyone thinks that they won't become addicted, that they can handle it.

Enjoy.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:28 PM   #31
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...You might look at YouTube videos made by Paul Shinn and others that are great help in learning to care for a Model A. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:49 PM   #32
Rob Doe

I also bought the Les Andrews (blue) book, "Diagnosis and Testing" ?? I actually got more good stuff from it because our car did not run when we unloaded it from the trailer. Both books are very informative.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:49 PM   #33
Synchro909

IMO, you shouldn't take your Model A anywhere near a Ford dealer. I bought a 1930 CCPU out of Arizona a while ago. The seller took it to the dealer to have a few things done ready for sale. For obvious reasons, I couldn't personally inspect it so I relied on information from friends in the area. What the dealer did would have been comical if it weren't so dangerous. They had NO idea.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:27 PM   #34
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
IMO, you shouldn't take your Model A anywhere near a Ford dealer. I bought a 1930 CCPU out of Arizona a while ago. The seller took it to the dealer to have a few things done ready for sale. For obvious reasons, I couldn't personally inspect it so I relied on information from friends in the area. What the dealer did would have been comical if it weren't so dangerous. They had NO idea.
I couldn't agree more! Modern mechanics are at a loss with such an old machine. Points? What are they? You set them with a feeler gauge. You set the timing? That can't be! Gravity feed fuel pump? It would be like aviation mechanic trying to fix a Wright Mod. B flyer. A couple of years ago, a very young heavy equiptment mechanic was using my circa 1985 Case 580 backhoe as a lesson in historical antique machinery. He thought of my backhoe the way we look at a model A.'
Terry
Old 07-06-2022, 07:39 PM   #35
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
This one is at the Ford dealer in Tacoma. Third owner. The family they got it from traded a Stetson hat for it.
Imagine the good old days when deals like that were made! How many shotguns were traded this or that? Today we'd want a lawyer, a stack of paperwork, and we've had a 1st A at the Steve Ryan Memorial swap meet in April.
Terry