Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-19-2022, 12:47 AM   #1
cas3

Default Some fun machine projects

I post this not to show how skilled I am, but rather to show that anyone can do it, and mainly if you have a shop and are a "do it your selfer" you should have a lathe. I guarantee you will use it more than you think, and just think of all the quality time you will spend with friends and neighbors who need a little somthin done. Really, even a small bench top...get one. I am not a machinist, I just own machines. So, I am working on my 52 Willys jeep. I added a real light to the system instead of the "black out" light as I do not plan to drive in battle, would rather watch for deer. The High amp switch I bought came with a stupid chrome modern looking knob, and well, we cant have that so I made one that matches the original choke knob on the dash. I made that " free hand" for the most part, then trimmed it up with a file. Sorry, I thought I had photos of it chucked in the lathe, but this photo of it painted and installed is all I have. No...I did not drill a new hole, Thats an empty space for the winter heater controls. Tonight's project was working on the wiper motors. They are put together with a goofy oval shaped screw head, I suppose there is a name for it...I dunno. First thought for most of us would be to grab it with a baby vise grips. No dice, the jaws dont fit to twist in tight areas. So...make a socket. Yes, I have a mill too, but really this job could have been done with just a drill press if you had the end mill bit. The mill, is like, well have a lathe and no mill is like shoes with no laces. Get a lathe, you will want a mill. In the photos, I painted the screw head red to show the shape. This is rough, I free handed the taper, because I may never use it again. Properly, you would turn the compound and cut a nice taper, but it will work. Fun stuff playing with machines at home, you can do it too ! Well, I see now thats a terrible photo of my home made socket, but trust me it fits the goofy bolt head !
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D9E5205E-0927-4D91-B75A-E90119C1693F.jpeg (72.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpeg BC491BE4-449A-4822-96E4-F5524D2E38F4.jpeg (107.1 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpeg 3C000CB8-881F-43DD-8A16-AF18A9BB9302.jpeg (87.3 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by cas3; 06-19-2022 at 12:51 AM. Reason: add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:22 AM   #2
kurt v

Default Re: Some fun machine projects

I have the same set up as you lathe, bpt mill plus lots more and like you not a machinist but i can get from point A to point B to get what i need done. I am always making something.
kurt
kurt v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:00 AM   #3
T Scott

I don't know how anyone who owns so much as a lawn mower can get by without having a lathe and at least a drill press. I have a Grizzly combination lathe/milling machine that I use constantly. It's a bit clumsy but it's 110V, takes up little space and gets the job done.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:13 AM   #4
Mart

Oh yes, I have machines and love using them. I, too, would not call myself a machinist. It would be an insult to proper machinists.
Great job on that knob for the dash.
I've been doing a job lately that has kept the lathe and mill in almost constant use. It's a gearbox swap onto a flatty.
It may or may not make some video content in the future.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:21 AM   #5
tubman

After looking for a used lathe with no success, I gave up and bought a cheap imported mini-lathe. It is 7X14 and turned out to be big enough for the simple things I need to do. I am a step below "Mart" and "cas3" in ability, but I have been able to make small parts and turn armatures and am actually quite satisfied with my purchase. They are right, however, in that you will then want a mill. I got a big old floor model drill press from a friend cheap because it was three phase. A phase converter was over $100, but it works fine., This, and a set of end mills, is getting me by for now.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 11:04 AM   #6
GB SISSON

Fun to see this ! I have been cruising a bit on craigslist for a lathe. Some of them are huge like 6' high, 10' long, 4' long. 900 bucks and the ad stated that the seller will not even begin to help move or load it. Think I will skip over that one. Sometimes I see a listing for an 'engine lathe', but they look pretty much the same as the others. Also a friend told me a lot of old lathes are worn out and can't do the precision work we are looking for. I have been mostly window shopping because our ferry system is in chaos and a trip to the mainland is no longer easy on and off the island. But after reading this post I am more convinced that I gotta have one. Thanks CAS! Any advice on what to look for is helpful.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 02:03 PM   #7
kurt v

What a person needs to find is a tool makers lathe, they were used in a lot of factory maintenance shops and used only once in a while so not worn out,
kurt v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:14 PM   #8
Brian

Even a worn lathe is better than no lathe....any machine is only as good as the operator. My lathe is worn, it is however big enough to be able to easily spin V8 axle housings, I am currently making a set of engine bearings to suit a 1907 Humber that a friend is restoring.
This involved splitting the bronze bar stock in half using a slitting saw in my mill. My mill is big enough to line bore a V8 in.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:38 AM   #9
sugarmaker

Humm,
I have some room for a lathe and a mill. And would love to have both. I am not even a pimple on a machinist back side. But would be nice to make or repair some things on projects. Would be a steep learning curve.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:01 AM   #10
flatford8

My son was a Tool Maker for 5yrs at the Shipyard in Kittery, ME. Now he works for a large gun manufacturer in the private sector. So, I would have a good teacher. Hmmm.....these look like a couple pieces of equipment I should own. At least a small one. Somebody on this thread is a bad influence!!!!....LOL.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:49 PM   #11
flatford8

This came from Hemming's today. Not sure I’d try to build my own but it’s interesting that other people do……Mark
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/202...ign=2022-06-19
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote