Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2022, 02:29 PM   #1
Arotarius

Default Ardun Engine

I’m assuming these don’t pop up very often but a friend has one on an engine stand.

Thought it would be an interesting picture to share as it is an original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 85F381D8-08A0-4771-A50A-B95F17D8DCF8.jpg (99.6 KB, 976 views)
Arotarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:40 PM   #2
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Ardun Engine

On occasion I have seen a few from time to time.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 04:37 PM   #3
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
On occasion I have seen a few from time to time.
Ronnieroadster
Can you clarify how many a "few" actually is?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 04:48 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arotarius View Post
I’m assuming these don’t pop up very often but a friend has one on an engine stand.

Thought it would be an interesting picture to share as it is an original.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:38 PM   #5
1948F-1Pickup

By no means common, but I have a friend about 4 miles away with one in a roadster.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:27 PM   #6
Arotarius

200-250 made, that’s the number that keeps popping up online.
Arotarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:03 PM   #7
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Can you clarify how many a "few" actually is?
Here is a few.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ardun dry sump layout.jpg (20.9 KB, 907 views)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:29 PM   #8
Ziggster

I was just reading up on these last night after clicking on my bookmark for Monterey Speed and Sport only to find out the link was dead. Digging I found out that the owner, Don Orosco passed away recently. He apparently did a production run of some reproduction Ardun heads, making several improvements over the originals which were supposedly plagued with multiple issues. Modern dyno testing showed only 160 hp compared to the 200 hp plus claimed by the original owners of the design. I was really surprised to hear that. Still haven’t figured out what happened to Monterey Speed & Sport. They had some really nice stuff.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:38 PM   #9
Krylon32

I think Don Orosco's Ardun patterns and parts were purchased by Don Ferguson who has continued their production.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:49 PM   #10
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
I was just reading up on these last night after clicking on my bookmark for Monterey Speed and Sport only to find out the link was dead. Digging I found out that the owner, Don Orosco passed away recently. He apparently did a production run of some reproduction Ardun heads, making several improvements over the originals which were supposedly plagued with multiple issues. Modern dyno testing showed only 160 hp compared to the 200 hp plus claimed by the original owners of the design. I was really surprised to hear that. Still haven’t figured out what happened to Monterey Speed & Sport. They had some really nice stuff.

The reproduction that Don Orosco produced many years ago was a limited run EXACT duplicate of the original ARDUN head design. That run was less than 50 sets. The original design did not have multiple issues the only issue was when they were designed in 1947 and then produced was related to the lack upper valve train oiling {easily corrected by adding oilers} and the ignition systems during that time period were inadequate for the conversion to perform well. The original advertisements for the conversion claimed an additional 50 HP over the stock engine.
My vast experience running one of the highest mileage original ARDUNs ever is how I can claim the above as fact. Tim has asked to clarify how many a few actually is the answer is over 50 including the very first set ever run and tested which will be running in August at Bonneville once again.

Heres a good video of the inner workings of the ARDUN conversion enjoy click on this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5kqa7W0Mfk

Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 06-08-2022 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:21 PM   #11
Krylon32

I guess I was wrong about Ferguson buying the Orosco patterns?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:23 PM   #12
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Here is a few.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:50 PM   #13
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I guess I was wrong about Ferguson buying the Orosco patterns?

No your correct the Ferguson reproduction is the Orosco patterns. The only changes are the rockers now include the oiling improvements the original's were lacking. Our current records have been set using the Ferguson produced heads top speed so far 229 MPH that's in a mile and a half run.
Ronnieroadster
Old 06-09-2022, 12:29 AM   #14
richard crow

not only 50 hp but no over heating. if ford made them that eng would have been great
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:44 AM   #15
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
not only 50 hp but no over heating. if ford made them that eng would have been great
Unfortunately, that would never had happened. Remember why the first generation Chrysler Corporation hemi's were discontinued?

COST.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 02:21 AM   #16
deuce lover

Willie Glass of SC who is no longer with us had like 5 Arduns.2 were NOS.He ran one in his Model A roadster at Bonneville and turned 206.That was back around 2007? He claimed to have owned one that was bought new by Dale Earnhart (sp?) but couldn't run it for reasons I have forgot. I had a set back in 2007 but on the valve covers it said made in England.I was selling it for a widow of a collector. They were run once on a motor then pulled off and put on a shelf.Had them on EBAY and that's how I met Willie.In those days you could get sellers contact info on EBAY.Killed the auction and sold them off line.To bad I didn't save the pics.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:41 AM   #17
Bored&Stroked

Good ole' Willie Glass . . . quite the character! I have a set of aluminum rods that he had made (never used) and also a set of special Offy heads that he ran at Bonneville. I have not had time to put an Ardun together - maybe I'll finally get started on it! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:35 AM   #18
19Fordy

It is truly amazing that there is still a large number of
ARDUNs just tucked away in private collections.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:04 AM   #19
Ziggster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
The reproduction that Don Orosco produced many years ago was a limited run EXACT duplicate of the original ARDUN head design. That run was less than 50 sets. The original design did not have multiple issues the only issue was when they were designed in 1947 and then produced was related to the lack upper valve train oiling {easily corrected by adding oilers} and the ignition systems during that time period were inadequate for the conversion to perform well. The original advertisements for the conversion claimed an additional 50 HP over the stock engine.
My vast experience running one of the highest mileage original ARDUNs ever is how I can claim the above as fact. Tim has asked to clarify how many a few actually is the answer is over 50 including the very first set ever run and tested which will be running in August at Bonneville once again.

Heres a good video of the inner workings of the ARDUN conversion enjoy click on this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5kqa7W0Mfk

Ronnieroadster
Thanks. I was just going from an article I read. IIRC, they mentioned pushrod design (hollow vs solid?), valve type/ use (Chevy vs Chrysler?), and something else I can’t recall exactly. Still an engineering design marvel for the time. I’ll see if I can find the article.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:16 AM   #20
38bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
Willie Glass of SC who is no longer with us had like 5 Arduns.2 were NOS.He ran one in his Model A roadster at Bonneville and turned 206.That was back around 2007? He claimed to have owned one that was bought new by Dale Earnhart (sp?) but couldn't run it for reasons I have forgot. I had a set back in 2007 but on the valve covers it said made in England.I was selling it for a widow of a collector. They were run once on a motor then pulled off and put on a shelf.Had them on EBAY and that's how I met Willie.In those days you could get sellers contact info on EBAY.Killed the auction and sold them off line.To bad I didn't save the pics.
Its my understanding the the original run of 200 were cast in England.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote