Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2022, 10:49 AM   #1
benji

Default points firing

i am not getting spark out of distributor on 59a engine.
i want to clean and file distributor points . It appears the distributor must be removed to do this due to accessability on front of engine. There is very little space due to radiator. Can the distributor be removed without removing radiator? If bolts are removed will it slide out? Please help.
benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:11 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: points firing

Yes, the only way to work on the crab style dizzy is to remove it. only 2 bolts, remove the cap and there will be room to get it out. On reinstalling, the drive tang is offset so it only fits one way, no timing necessary, make sure it sits flat and flush before you tighten up the bolts
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:22 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Yes, the only way to work on the crab style dizzy is to remove it. only 2 bolts, remove the cap and there will be room to get it out. On reinstalling, the drive tang is offset so it only fits one way, no timing necessary, make sure it sits flat and flush before you tighten up the bolts

Good advice from "cas3" above. You MUST move distributor FORWARD 1/4" or so to dis-engage the drive tang. Then you can slide it out the side.

Coop/AMERICAN

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:46 PM   #4
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
i am not getting spark out of distributor on 59a engine.
i want to clean and file distributor points . It appears the distributor must be removed to do this due to accessability on front of engine. There is very little space due to radiator. Can the distributor be removed without removing radiator? If bolts are removed will it slide out? Please help.
Have you done trouble-shooting to determine that the points are for sure the problem? Like put a voltmeter on the distributor side of the coil and turn the engine to see if that voltage drops from battery voltage to near zero as the points close. If you are seeing that voltage drop, the problem may be the coil instead of the points.

If, when the points are open, the voltage on the distributor side of the coil is lower than the battery side of the coil, you have a leaky condenser. Disconnect the condenser from the distributor terminal and see if you then get spark when cranking. If so, replace the condenser.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:05 PM   #5
Seth Swoboda

If it is in fact the distributor, send the distributor to Michael Driskell at Third Gen Automotive for a professional tune up.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:03 PM   #6
corvette8n

Send it to either Michael or CharlieNY for a rebuild, usually the bushing is worn so much it won’t run right even with new points.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:44 PM   #7
drolston

With great respect to our excellent distributor rebuilders, I am going to encourage our junior member Benji to try figure this out on his own first. Because when something goes wrong on the road (it probably will at some point) he knows enough about the ignition system to do the farmer fix needed to get home.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:48 AM   #8
benji

After unclipping the side clip wires, the side caps are stuck. How are these removed ?
Old 06-16-2022, 07:04 AM   #9
Tim Ayers

Do you have a crab-type or a football helmet type of distributor. Crab would have two bolts holding it on, football type three?

When you say side wires, it is making me think you have a football style distributor.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:19 AM   #10
Bored&Stroked

Something very important to know: The end of the cam has a SLOT in it that the tang on the distributor slides into. The slot/tang are offset from the centerline only 1/16 of an inch.

The reason it is offset is so that the distributor drive is always mounted in the same way - you can take the distributor on/off and not influence the timing. BUT, it is very easy to have the distributor rotated 180 degrees OFF from where it should be - then you think it is close to fitting (so you force it on) and you try to somehow get the bolts back in their holes. Make sure the orientation is correct - or you'll ruin the distributor and the engine will not run.

You might even succeed in wrenching the bolts in . . . which will crack the distributor housing when you tighten them - or when you turn the engine over.

Lastly, there is a gasket that goes underneath the distributor - you'll need a new one. It is important that you clean the timing cover and back of the distributor well. I'd use a little thin gasket sealer on the gasket (like Gasgacinch - from Edelbrock or Jegs) - but don't clog the vacuum transfer hole. You need the gasket to seal the vacuum port, but not obstruct it.

If you're not familiar with these distributors (which it sounds like), you can learn a bit in this process (if you understand distributors in general). If you want to really get it setup properly, send it to either of the two guys mentioned earlier - they know what they're doing and have the necessary distributor machine to really set it up correctly.

Best of luck!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:54 AM   #11
benji

I have the football helment type that has dome caps on each side held on by wire clips. After removing the clips, the dome caps are stuck. Do these caps screw off or do you pry them off with screwdriver or tap them loose? I am being careful since I do not know.

i
Old 06-16-2022, 09:08 AM   #12
Tim Ayers

Just wiggle them a bit. Should come off afterward.

Quote:
I have the football helment type that has dome caps on each side held on by wire clips. After removing the clips, the dome caps are stuck. Do these caps screw off or do you pry them off with screwdriver or tap them loose? I am being careful since I do not know.

i
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:50 AM   #13
rotorwrench

A person should pull the distributor off periodically just to inspect all the parts in there, The vacuum brake leather pad, the advance/retard flyweights, the rotor bushing, and of course the points & plastic parts all need to be maintained in good working order.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:08 PM   #14
benji

I have ordered most parts from MAX in the past, now they have very little as compared. Where to buy gasket? Max or Bob Drake or NAPA do not have gasket. Where can I find?
Old 06-16-2022, 03:17 PM   #15
rockfla

Quote:
I have ordered most parts from MAX in the past, now they have very little as compared. Where to buy gasket? Max or Bob Drake or NAPA do not have gasket. Where can I find?
Michael at Third Gen Automotive 844-327-5988 cst. Monday thru Thursday

The caps, IF you look, have a little square tang on them for alignment purposes so make sure you line them up when re installing, I cannot stress enough and it has been pointed out here a few times, MAKE DOUBLE sure you align the distributor offset key to the cam correctly. This is made easier IF you get a couple of 5/16-18 x 1" or so NC Bolts and cut the heads off of them. Screw them in the block BEFORE you attempt to put the distributor back on. THEN slide the distributor onto the studs you thread in, then you can use your thumbs on each side of the distributor to rotate the rotor and line the keyway up with the end of the cam shaft. put some light pressure against the distributor and rotate the rotor and you will feel it click in!!! ONCE you feel it click in, you can try and move the rotor and it should NOT turn!!! THEN you remove one stud at a time and replace with the correct bolt.
AS a third check, once I have it installed and before I re-intall the caps, I put the car in first and have someone rock the car back and forth and watch the rotor (or put your finger in there and feel), you should see (or feel) it move back and forth, then I know 100% its on and lined up correctly BEFORE I try and fire it up!!!! Then re-install the caps!!!! BELIEVE me you don't what to try and start the car and hear a loud "crack"!!!!

Last edited by rockfla; 06-16-2022 at 03:29 PM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:31 PM   #16
rockfla

These are the alignment studs I made just for this job!!!! I have since knurled the ends to make it easier to thread in and out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DistAlignPin.jpg (20.2 KB, 28 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:04 PM   #17
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
These are the alignment studs I made just for this job!!!! I have since knurled the ends to make it easier to thread in and out.
Better still is to just install studs into block and leave it there and tighten it up with a nut. My 2¢. Still a PITA no matter how you do it.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:20 PM   #18
deuce_roadster

If the vehicle you are trouble shooting has an ammeter instead of a voltmeter, when the engine is being turned over the needle will wiggle. If the needle doesn't move, then oxidation on the points is probably the problem. You can fix that without filing the points by using some strips of doubled over 1000 grit wet/dry paper.
Once you get one side cap off with the inner cap attached of the "helmet" type (32-41) distributor an 8" piece of wooden dowel will allow you to tap the other side off. They fit tight to keep moisture out. Always use new gaskets in all those places.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:32 AM   #19
benji

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-17-2022, 01:19 PM   #20
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Something very important to know: The end of the cam has a SLOT in it that the tang on the distributor slides into. The slot/tang are offset from the centerline only 1/16 of an inch.

The reason it is offset is so that the distributor drive is always mounted in the same way - you can take the distributor on/off and not influence the timing. BUT, it is very easy to have the distributor rotated 180 degrees OFF from where it should be - then you think it is close to fitting (so you force it on) and you try to somehow get the bolts back in their holes. Make sure the orientation is correct - or you'll ruin the distributor and the engine will not run.
The difference in SLOT ALIGNMENT that Dale speaks of can be seen below. It helps to re-install if you reference the direction the rotor is pointing when distributor is removed. Coop/AMERICAN

TOP Picture Shows PROPER Alignment!

BOTTOM Pic Shows 180º Out of Alignment!

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote