Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2022, 01:07 PM   #1
Ricosan

Default Columbia not engaging

Hey Guys,

I have a 1933 woodie equipped with a Columbia OD. This is my first Columbia.

Last week I took her out for a test of some of the other repairs I’ve had to make and I decided to try the Columbia. Loud crashy noise when I tried to engage! I immediately turned the selector back was left with freewheeling. Fortunately I was able to get it back into gear.

Today I put the back wheels up on jackstands. I started the engine with the selector pointed to the passenger side floorboard.

When I tried to engage the OD by turning the selector left towards the torque tube. It won’t go past the half way point.

What should I be looking at?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6A270A76-B758-41A9-8152-CE64C6C27755.jpg (55.2 KB, 80 views)
Ricosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:09 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Columbia not engaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricosan View Post
Hey Guys,

I have a 1933 woodie equipped with a Columbia OD. This is my first Columbia.

Last week I took her out for a test of some of the other repairs I’ve had to make and I decided to try the Columbia. Loud crashy noise when I tried to engage! I immediately turned the selector back was left with freewheeling. Fortunately I was able to get it back into gear.

Today I put the back wheels up on jackstands. I started the engine with the selector pointed to the passenger side floorboard.

When I tried to engage the OD by turning the selector left towards the torque tube. It won’t go past the half way point.

What should I be looking at?

Richard ....As you already realize, I don't KNOW Columbias. But, are you depressing the clutch while trying to select with the switch? I'm assuming you got the Columbia CLUTCH ROD sorted-out and hooked-up?

Coop/AMERICAN

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:32 PM   #3
Ricosan

Hey Coop,

Yes I’m pressing the clutch, the wheels are spinning and I have it in 2nd gear but I can’t get past the middle. RPM maybe 1200-1500.

I made another rod for the Columbia about an inch longer but I don’t know maybe I should have made it an inch shorter since the throw from the clutch is longer. Any Columbia guys out there?
Old 06-13-2022, 03:59 PM   #4
jimTN

You need to determine the vac feed to your valve and the two lines that go to the shift canister at the rear end. With the engine running pull one line to the canister at a time to determine which line is active and which way the lever is for that. Then check the other line to make sure your valve is working. If you can shift vac with the valve from one line to the other then you may need to pull the canister cover to check the piston. It has leathers that need to be oiled to seal well. DO NOT TRY SHIFTING WITH AN AIR HOSE! That is the basic system. You may have to unpin the vac valve rod to your clutch to get the basic shift stuff working.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 05:09 PM   #5
Terry,OH

There is a rod from the rear of the switch handle to the rear of the speedometer on the gear changer to correct speedometer reading when in overdrive. If you disconnect the rod from the back of the switch and retry the switch handle to see that it moves properly. The gear changer can be hung up or damaged.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:54 PM   #6
Ricosan

Jim, how do I oil the leathers?

Terry, thanks for the info, I’ll check it tomorrow.

Richard
Old 06-13-2022, 09:18 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Jim, how do I oil the leathers?

Terry, thanks for the info, I’ll check it tomorrow.

Richard

Richard ....Using the "SEARCH" function in the BLACK BAND at the top of every page on FordBarn, there is a bunch of info at your finger tips.

By typing-in "Lubricate Columbia leathers" into the search function, the two links below came-up containing some cool info. You may be getting close to more success! Click the links BELOW!

Coop/AMERICAN

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...umbia+leathers

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...umbia+leathers

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 06-14-2022, 05:25 AM   #8
Ricosan

Coop, thanks for the links. Good information. I’ll squirt some mmo on the leathers as soon as I can get someone to crawl under the car. At 78 years old, along with a heaping helping of other minor ailments, keep me from doing much work on the underside.
As long as I can stay upright.

Richard
Old 06-14-2022, 06:05 AM   #9
Bored&Stroked

You should probably contact one of the expert vendors for Columbia related stuff (where some of your parts came from) - to find out the proper adjustment and testing procedures. The last thing you want is to damage that rear end - as you're talking potentially thousands of dollars to "fix" it.

https://www.columbiatwospeedparts.com/index.cfm
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:19 AM   #10
solidaxle

What should I be looking at?[/QUOTE]

The Selector switch should be able to go from in to out. Something is binding in the linkage or the valve is not allowing it to move through it's full range of motion.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:28 AM   #11
jimTN

The mineral oil should be fine. If the switch/valve is binding or not allowing full travel then one or the other vac hoses to the rear end is not working.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:54 AM   #12
Charlie ny
BANNED

Richard,
I had a similar issue with my Columbia, I removed the Columbia controls and replaced it with a simple pneumatic manually controlled valve. Engine vac
in ....engage / disengage out depending on the position of the knob...I used an
MSC 87823944. Jammed up linkage is a pita you do not need......and a 1/2 engaged
Columbia can certainly ruin your day.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 11:05 AM   #13
Ricosan

Hey Guys,

It looks like I’m going to have to educate myself on how the Columbia system works. It looks intimidating especially since most of it is under the car and inaccessible for easy repairs.
I’ve never had this OD engaged. The Columbia was rebuilt during the restoration of the car and now has 50 miles on the odometer. I put 40 of those miles on the car since I took possession in January.
I’ve never successfully engaged OD.
First order of business is to figure out why the linkage is refusing to turn toward the torque tube.

Richard
Old 06-14-2022, 12:36 PM   #14
Ricosan

Should the hose on the right have a clamp on it?

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2B85167B-0198-4850-AA30-650957138CA2.jpg (44.2 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by Ricosan; 06-14-2022 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:44 PM   #15
solidaxle

Quote:
Should the hose on the right have a clamp on it?

Richard

Wouldn't hurt.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #16
solidaxle

Since your new to Columbia's. I'll just point out an inportant maintenance item.

There's a procedure to fill the rear with oil. Warm up the rear end by running it around. then check the upper fill hole on the Columbia side not the center banjo hole.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:20 PM   #17
Ricosan

Hey solidaxle,

I have it on jack stands right now. Tomorrow I will warm it up and check the lubricant levels.

Richard
Old 06-14-2022, 10:35 PM   #18
danliveshere

Richard, Lawrie has just finished building my columbia and I still haven’t driven it yet, so just my 2c here. But when the clutch is depressed, that should be the only time vacuum is delivered to the plunger. The most vacuum should be at idle, not revving the engine. On a standard setup this is how the system works.
1 vacuum from manifold to the clutch operated valve.
2 depress clutch opens the valve and vacuum goes to the high/low valve on the firewall. The lever just switches the vacuum from one pipe to the other(2 pipes go to the canister on the columbia)
3 while the clutch is depressed, vacuum pulls the canister in or out to engage overdrive/disengage overdrive
This is the simplified version I hope this helps a little. As for your clamp on rubber hose, yes if it’s loose , but remember it’s only manifold vacuum, not pressure there. You will need help somebody depressing the clutch to see if you have vacuum at the plunger. Definitely check fluid levels. I’m just about to order parts for another columbia and the parts alone are 2k, so go steady till you understand how this works. Dan.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:46 PM   #19
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by danliveshere View Post
Richard, Lawrie has just finished building my columbia and I still haven’t driven it yet, so just my 2c here. But when the clutch is depressed, that should be the only time vacuum is delivered to the plunger. The most vacuum should be at idle, not revving the engine. On a standard setup this is how the system works.
1 vacuum from manifold to the clutch operated valve.
2 depress clutch opens the valve and vacuum goes to the high/low valve on the firewall. The lever just switches the vacuum from one pipe to the other(2 pipes go to the canister on the columbia)
3 while the clutch is depressed, vacuum pulls the canister in or out to engage overdrive/disengage overdrive
This is the simplified version I hope this helps a little. As for your clamp on rubber hose, yes if it’s loose , but remember it’s only manifold vacuum, not pressure there. You will need help somebody depressing the clutch to see if you have vacuum at the plunger. Definitely check fluid levels. I’m just about to order parts for another columbia and the parts alone are 2k, so go steady till you understand how this works. Dan.

Dan ....That is a pretty darned clear synopsis of how a Columbia system operates, even clear-enough that a dipsoid like myself can now understand the overall function. Very much appreciated! Coop/AMERICAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 06-15-2022, 05:18 AM   #20
Ricosan

Thanks Dan, that’s the best explanation I’ve heard. Things are beginning to come into better focus.

I’m still stuck on getting the selector to move to the “engaged” position. With the engine running and the rear up on jack stands and clutch depressed the selector will easily move from pointing to the passenger side and back to “center”.

Today first thing I plan to warm up the rear end and check the oil, then trace the linkage from the dash to back to the junction that is binding. If I can figure out why it won’t let me turn the selector past the “center” and engage, everything else may fall into place.

Richard