Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #1
Steve Staysko

Default Rusted In Kingpins

I had a set of kingpins that were so rusted in nothing that I tried would release them and a good friend brought his 96 year old grandfather
(a mechanic for his entire life) to look at my 34 Roadster. I then told him that I was having a great deal of problems removing rusted in kingpins from my spare front axel and that I had tried everything to remove the pins. Now my friends grandfather being an auto mechanic said they are very easily removed he told me to bring him 2 soaking wet towels and 2 garbage bags. I was preplexed as to what he was going to do with the 2 soaking wet towels and the garbage bags. What he did next was wrap the king pins in the wet towel then wrap the towels with the garbage bags to retain the moister and then he told me to leave them for a few days. After a few days I removed the towels and then tried to remove the kingpins much to my surprise they came right out. I then asked him why it works and he said it was the water that caused them to rust in the first place and it is the water that would release them. He told me that an old-time mechanic taught him this trick back in the 1930's. So if you let them soak in water the water will penetrate through the rust and break the rust down and the kingpins are then easily removed…. Go figure!

Last edited by Steve Staysko; 09-30-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Steve Staysko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:51 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Rusted In Kingpins

That is kinda hard to believe, since it worked, it must be effective. I thought just ran through my mind about soaking the paper towels in "Evaporust" instead of water. Now I find myself wishing for a set of rusted kingpins.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Well you learn something every day ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:40 AM   #4
scooder

I've heard of water being used to free off rusted in pistons, sounded crazy to me. Same thing was said "if water seized them up, water will free um off".
Not tried it yet, but your experience has kinda spured my interest, but I can't help thinking more water means more rust.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:57 AM   #5
Sixseven

Just wondering - if water is introduced to the old rust, then would the newly forming rust breaking the parts free?
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote