Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2015, 06:41 AM   #21
Scott H in Wheaton

Default Re: locking steering column

Jim,
no problem. there should be a locking pin on the underside of the drop. drill out the locking pin and the lock cylinder will come straight out. Should take you all of 3-5 minutes, if the problem is just with the key cylinder.
There is a slide inside the drop that may be rusted/frozen. That will take a little more effort once you have the key cylinder out. I just went through this with a drop I'm working on for my truck.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #22
Alaska Jim

Thank You.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:05 PM   #23
WQ59B

Via post #11's pic, does the steering wheel have to be aligned a certain way for the column to then lock?
WQ59B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #24
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WQ59B View Post
Via post #11's pic, does the steering wheel have to be aligned a certain way for the column to then lock?
Yes...In the center of that #11 picture is a steering shaft with an attached locking collar. The steering wheel is keyed and locked on a tapered and threaded end of this shaft. This collar is held in place by two set screws that thread into the locking collar. These screws have non threaded ends that go into non threaded holes in the steering shaft. These screws keep the locking collar in place on the shaft. The locking collar has one rectangular slot (as shown in picture posted in #11), that a locking pin (as shown in picture posted in #12), located in the column drop, can slide in and out of as the key is turned in either direction, when the toggle lever is in the "off" position. Clear as mud?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 11-09-2015 at 09:15 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #25
WQ59B

Actually- quite clear.
So… is the correct procedure to turn the key, then turn the wheel until the lock clicks in & the shaft is locked? Then you can remove the key? Is the 'correct' position 'straight ahead'?

My '40 has the key in place, it turns but doesn't want to remove… but the wheel isn't locked. Either the pin is frozen 'up' or I haven't turned the wheel to the correct position for the pin to drop (haven't driven it yet, haven't run the wheel a full revolution either).
Old 11-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #26
39topless

Quote:
Actually- quite clear.
So… is the correct procedure to turn the key, then turn the wheel until the lock clicks in & the shaft is locked? Then you can remove the key? Is the 'correct' position 'straight ahead'?

My '40 has the key in place, it turns but doesn't want to remove… but the wheel isn't locked. Either the pin is frozen 'up' or I haven't turned the wheel to the correct position for the pin to drop (haven't driven it yet, haven't run the wheel a full revolution either).
you've got it. The pin is not in the locked position. Spray some WD 40 in there and turn the column using the steering wheel while working the lock switch. As you've stated above, the pin has to be in side the hole in the column before the key will come out.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #27
WQ59B

Seems by looking at that one pic above, it has one dedicated position to be in for the pin to drop into the rectangular slot on the column...
Old 11-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #28
rich b

Quote:
Seems by looking at that one pic above, it has one dedicated position to be in for the pin to drop into the rectangular slot on the column...
The pin is spring loaded in the locking pin assembly; the key can be turned to the lock position and removed in any wheel position; if the wheel is turned thereafter the pin will engage once the slot is aligned.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:17 PM   #29
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
The pin is spring loaded in the locking pin assembly; the key can be turned to the lock position and removed in any wheel position; if the wheel is turned thereafter the pin will engage once the slot is aligned.

While messing with my 1937 Ford, I accidentally forced the wheel against the lock and the shaft was apparently liberated from the pin. The wheel seemed to turn freely. Not sure if it was turning the tires. I unlocked the column and took the car for a short ride around the block and it steered fine. I took out the key and then turned the wheel until the pin fell in the hole. It seems to be locked now just like it used to be. Did I screw up this lock/pin combo?
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:24 PM   #30
DavidG

There were at least half a dozen passenger car steering column brackets that served as the ignition switch and column lock prior to WWII plus commercial vehicle and big truck versions. As far as I know, only the 1932 passenger car/commercial vehicle version has been reproduced in its entirety.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote