Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #21
Don S

Default Re: Piston tongue

From Mikek's description it appears that I will pull the pistons and 180 deg them so the tongue is on the cam side. No answer from Macs or Snyders ,I e-mailed them both.Thanks
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
From Mikek's description it appears that I will pull the pistons and 180 deg them so the tongue is on the cam side. No answer from Macs or Snyders ,I e-mailed them both.Thanks
On the outside of the piston skirt, is the contact area equal on both sides? I've seen some pistons with less contact area on the non-thrust side, just for the benefit of less drag.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #23
Don S

Tom I can't tell now because they will be staying in place. I believe they may have been the Silvolite pistons as mentioned by Ursus. Should have her running this weekend.I will let you all know how it goes.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #24
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Tom I can't tell now because they will be staying in place. I believe they may have been the Silvolite pistons as mentioned by Ursus. Should have her running this weekend.I will let you all know how it goes.
You know the dipper has to point to the valve side. You will have to take the wrist pins out and turn the piston 180 on the rod. If they are all in the same way, I would just leave them like they are.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #25
Don S

George, there were 2 right and 2 wrong,and yes I did have to remove the pins and 180 the pistons on the rods. The dippers all face the cam as they should. Just finishing up prior to running her. Thanks for all the support !
Old 03-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #26
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
I found a old piston stamped front from the factory and the slot is on the drivers side. On all the pistons I have seen the slot is in the tongue, so judging from this piston it seems the tongue goes on the drivers side. I do not know if it makes a big difference or not.
If the slot is in the piston yes it makes a difference. If no slot probable does not make a difference. If it makes a difference they should be marked front.
With that said I would put the side that the slot use to be in to the driver side.

The piston on newer cars have the wrist pin off set to one side. They have to go in with the mark on top to the front.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote