Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
Norris McCarty

Default Help with timing pointer

I’ve a new to me 40 Ford with a 53 Merc. It has a Hunt distributor. I’m trying to check the timing with a light.
It appears that the pointer is broken off but I can obviously see where it should be.
Should the the pointer(or where it should be) point directly to the line/mark on the crank pulley?
I don’t have a feel for how much retard or advance I should be running at idle....about 700rpm. The Hunt distributor has should have 20 degrees advance at 3000rpm.
I’m use to running a crank pulley with the degrees marked.
The picture shows timing at idle.
Thanks
Norris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A52173CC-30FA-4A61-931A-9F11C86B4A48.jpg (47.5 KB, 75 views)
Norris McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:58 PM   #2
GOONZ

Default Re: Help with timing pointer

That looks like an aftermarket balancer so I don’t know how that would be set, but I believe on stock the dimple on the pulley was a few degrees btdc. Sorry, that’s not much help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GOONZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:43 AM   #3
aussie merc

normally if there is only one mark and the pointer they are the actual firing point at idle with the vac brake disconnected also this allowed you to set the distributor with a test light [known as point brake] on a flathead usualy 4deg btc As stated looks to be an aftermarket ballancer so you will need to check as to its alinent it could be spot on or way off have you tried to time it with a vacume gauge works well and may show you if its way off [ setting with vac gauge there are lots of info on here check past posts ]
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:29 AM   #4
Ol' Ron

Initial timing advance is not very important, so long as the engine starts. It can e used to add or subtract a few degs in final tuning the engine. All street engines should be tuned for cruise, and the Flathead combustion chamber need allot of avance there 26/28 degs. but not very much for hard acceleration 18/20. now these numbers are for street application and depend on the modifications of the engine. With the development of the GM distributor we can now have an ignition system that works well in both cruise and acceleration, working hand and hand with a AF meter, excellent fuel mileage as well.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote