Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2017, 08:54 AM   #1
5851a

Default Kidde Fire Extinguisher

Just something to pass along if you hadn't seen already. Kidde is recalling some extinguishers. http://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/ 37 to 40 million of them was the numbers I seen.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: Kidde Fire Extinguisher

Toss all the small Kidde brand red bottles. They are useless in an emergency. If I had not bolted a larger extinguisher to the garage wall, my 55 and the garage could have been history. A 12 dollar extinguisher is worth nothing when it wont work, for 21 dollars, you can buy one that works. It is well worth a little more money up front.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
V8 Bob

I learned many years ago to buy from a local dealer that sells only metal valved extinguishers that can be re-filled, not the plastic-valved cheapies like Kidde. More expensive, yes, much better, yes.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
Ford Freak

Thanks for the info ! - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
Crankster

One thing I wasn't aware of, the dry powder type extinguishers, the product will settle and clump. Let's say you have one hanging on the wall by the stairs to the garage, or by the door, etc. Everytime you walk by, or close a door, it will vibrate ever so slightly. Overtime this can result in a situation where only a small portion will dispense when it's needed most! I'd think a similar situation might occur when mounted sideways in cars.

The remedy or maintenance is to periodically invert the unit and rap on the sides and bottom with a rubber mallet. Maybe make a routine out of it, along with replacing smoke alarm batteries. Also make sure family members understand how they work, and how to use one.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
One thing I wasn't aware of, the dry powder type extinguishers, the product will settle and clump. Let's say you have one hanging on the wall by the stairs to the garage, or by the door, etc. Everytime you walk by, or close a door, it will vibrate ever so slightly. Overtime this can result in a situation where only a small portion will dispense when it's needed most! I'd think a similar situation might occur when mounted sideways in cars.

The remedy or maintenance is to periodically invert the unit and rap on the sides and bottom with a rubber mallet. Maybe make a routine out of it, along with replacing smoke alarm batteries. Also make sure family members understand how they work, and how to use one.
Times two

The powder does settle / compact and the extinguisher becomes useless.

Double checking all my fire extinguishers today.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Freak View Post
Thanks for the info ! - F F
I also called them . Replacements (3) are being sent to me . Thanks again . - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:00 PM   #8
My Old Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Times two

The powder does settle / compact and the extinguisher becomes useless.

Double checking all my fire extinguishers today.
X3 Had local fire department come to plant several months ago. We grabbed all our extinguishers from plant for training. Co2 all worked great, however one powder ABC fizzled due to compacted contents. Fireman said same as you mentioned and advised to turn over and tap contents during monthly inspections.
My Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
Cape Codder

5851a - Although I had heard of the recall I hadn't contacted them prior to your message. It took over half an hour to communicate with the first individual when I finally talked to the supervisor who accomplished in perhaps ten minutes. I thought, although irritated, was some well spent time! Thanks again 5851a for the reminder!
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #10
dmsfrr

Stumbled around on their website for a bit the other day but the online forms accepted the serial numbers I entered and two free replacements are 'in the mail'.

I should probably take Ole Don's advice and buy some better ones too.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #11
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
5851a - Although I had heard of the recall I hadn't contacted them prior to your message. It took over half an hour to communicate with the first individual when I finally talked to the supervisor who accomplished in perhaps ten minutes. I thought, although irritated, was some well spent time! Thanks again 5851a for the reminder!
No problem and Ole Don is correct going to look at better next time. Had a Halon one floating around here in the car once but might see if they are still ok.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:16 PM   #12
Step-down

I was told to put the small ones in the freezer , if still active the little gauge should show movement after you take it out to room temp .
Old 11-08-2017, 10:46 PM   #13
Milt K from Pa

Barners,
Have any of you seen the remnants of a discharged powder fire extinguisher in an engine compartment or any other place in a car?? Go to co-2 or halon or the newer halite. No mess, better action, simple gauge shows contents and no need to bounce around. I've been carrying them for years. Halon is still available for re-load, if you have a leak.

Believe me, you don't want to discharge a soda extinguisher on your car.

Milt K from Pa

Last edited by Milt K from Pa; 11-08-2017 at 10:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Milt K from Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:07 PM   #14
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt K from Pa View Post
Barners,
Have any of you seen the remnants of a discharged powder fire extinguisher in an engine compartment or any other place in a car?? Go to co-2 or halon or the newer halite. No mess, better action, simple gauge shows contents and no need to bounce around. I've been carrying them for years. Halon is still available for re-load, if you have a leak.

Believe me, you don't want to discharge a soda extinguisher on your car.

Milt K from Pa
Good point, they are very messy.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #15
fander

Not only messy but that abc fire extinguisher may leave a residue you can't get off. In 1971 I was working on my 1965 Chevrolet and forgot to attach the fuel line to the carb before I started it. I had a good fire going in my dad's garage. Three dry chemical extinguishers did nothing. 20# co2 worked great and no clean up. 14 years as a volunteer fireman and I recommend co2 on car fires. co2 extinguishers are expensive though and a 20# extinguisher weights 50 pounds.
fander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #16
finn1

My wife called the 1-800 number and got through on the second try.

We now will have 10 replacement fire extinguishers arriving in 10 days to two weeks, as well as instructions on what to do with the recalled units.

They didn’t take the marine units for some reason.
finn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #17
1oldtimer

I waited for a sale and bought 5lb Amerex fire extinguishers for the cars (Halotron). I don't like the cheap plastic Kidde brand.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote