Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
Grumpy Rick

Default Pertronix ignition

I just bought a Pertronix Ignitor (1281) which fits most Ford V8's 57 and up. It is for my 55 T-Bird, which is 12V, and now has a rebuilt '60's distributor. I also got the matching Pertronix Flame Thrower coil (40011 1.5 ohm).

This is preaching to the choir with most of you, but there may be another dummy out there who will benefit from the following.........

I just got off the phone with Pertronix tech support, which answered my questions about resistors.

The instructions for the Ignitor state that if the car has a resistor, to use it with the Ignitor. The instructions for the coil state that if the car has a resistor, to remove it.

Per tech support, some cars come with external resistors, some have internal resistor coils. On old cars they sometimes get mixed and cause ignition problems. The Pertronix coil has an internal resistor, and therefore I should remove the original external resistor. If I had used a stock original coil with no internal resistor, I would use the external resistor.

For the record (Amazon FAQ has it wrong)you should use a 1.5 ohm resistor coil for 8 cyl., and 3 ohm for 4 cyl.

I also asked about spark plug gap. They said when using the Ignitor and the Pertronix coil, you can increase the gap 5-7 thou.

One last thing.....the box for the Ignitor says it is made in the USA, and the Flamethrower coil says it is made in Mexico.

Hope this is of some help.

PS: Perhaps other Pertronix related tips could be added to this thread.

Last edited by Grumpy Rick; 04-18-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
bobioknight

Default Re: Pertronix ignition

I mistakenly left my ignition on when I pulled into the garage, it's no lie, do not leave the key on because you will fry that flamethrower coil. Mine was totally dead, I ordered a new one but it was not going to arrive in time for the car show, so I found one at Napa, it has the same resistance as the flamethrower but it is cheaper and readily available. Both coils have 1.5 ohms of resistance which is what my pertronix calls for. It's been working great.

Also, my 57 bird originally had resistance wire from the ignition to the coil. It was bypassed with standard wire when the pertronix was installed. Make sure you don't also have the positive resistance wire to your coil, you will be under powering your ignition.

So pertronix, a 1.5ohm coil and no additional resistor or resistor wire. You'll be good.
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:20 AM   #3
SuperDave

Pertronix also told me not to use copper plug wires.Something about feed-back or ringing..Greek to me, but I now use resistance wires with no failures in any of my cars for many years.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 PM   #4
bobioknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
Pertronix also told me not to use copper plug wires.Something about feed-back or ringing..Greek to me, but I now use resistance wires with no failures in any of my cars for many years.

Thats interesting, but to be clear, I was referring to the positive wire coming from the ignition, instead of 12-14volts of power, the wire has its own resistance so if you take a reading you may only be feeding 8volts to the coil from the ignition wire. Plug wires are different, and I am not sure what plug wires would be considered resistance plug wires, but what the heck do I know, not much I can tell you that.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:08 AM   #5
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobioknight View Post
..... Plug wires are different, and I am not sure what plug wires would be considered resistance plug wires, but what the heck do I know, not much I can tell you that.
Spark plug wires are made a few different ways. The most common is a higher resistance carbon impregnated center core. Carbon core wires create less magnetic interference; static in the radio, etc.
The old-school spark plug wires have a low resistance copper wire core, and they can create significant static that can confuse or disable other electronics in or near the car... like a solid state ignition kit, or the radio.

A 'more than you wanted to know' link....
https://www.google.com/search?q=carb...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-25-2017 at 01:36 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:31 AM   #6
Kahuna

I have used Packard 440 ignition wire with Pertronix ignition module without any problems for over 25 years. Flathead operating on 12 volts.
I know Pertronix recommends against it, but I've had no issues whatsoever.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
I have used Packard 440 ignition wire with Pertronix ignition module without any problems for over 25 years. Flathead operating on 12 volts.
I know Pertronix recommends against it, but I've had no issues whatsoever.
If it works don't fix it.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #8
Milt K from Pa

bob knight,
I have never heard of a '57 Tbird having resistance wire in it, feeding the coil. It should be a resistor mounted on the intake manifold area, near the distributor. Was your electrical system modified for some reason??
Just a comment.

Milt K from Pa
Milt K from Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #9
bobioknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt K from Pa View Post
bob knight,
I have never heard of a '57 Tbird having resistance wire in it, feeding the coil. It should be a resistor mounted on the intake manifold area, near the distributor. Was your electrical system modified for some reason??
Just a comment.

Milt K from Pa
I am sure your right. For some reason my 57 had both wires. I "assume" because the person who installed the pertronix originally used it to offset the power. When I "thought" I was having ignition trouble, I tested the system and wires to verify everything was in spec, but found that the pertronix was underpowered. I capped off the power wire they used and reconnected what must have been the original wire, removed the stock ballast resistor which looked to be on its last leg, removed the original coil and installed the 1.5 ohm coil, and now I am golden at 8 volts with less failure points.

So for me, I am glad I checked and did not assume the wire was 12volts.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:08 PM   #10
joe plumber

I have had a Pertronix set up in my 55 Ford F 100 with a 53 flathead v-8 for about 18 years.Used the proper coil also .Have the plugs set at stock gap also .I have not had a single problem with the system.Turn the key,push the button and it starts right up,love it .Also re wired the entire system with a 21 circuit E-Z wire harness,all gauges are 12volt repops.
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote