Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Barber31

Default Can you take a look at your door handle area

I started doing bodywork in preparation for a full paint job and I noticed 3 things.
#1 - Can a few of y'all fine gents take a look at the area just below both exterior door handles on the belt line area? I noticed on my passenger side that there is a slight convex curvature appearing to be for clearance of your knuckles not banging into belt line when opening the door. Either that or it's just a flaw in the stamping of the door skin. There is no past damage to the area so I know it's not been hit.

#2 - Interesting find, upon sanding the same passenger door about mid door there is orange paint about 5 in. wide at the very edge of the door. It is on both edges of the door as if a wide stripe went across the skin. It appears to be either under or above the original black paint. It actually looks below but I know that's prably not likely. Sanding on the face of the door reveals no orange at all. Only on those very thin edges. There is no other trace of orange elsewhere on the vehicle.

#3 - Another possible stamping flaw. Has anyone noticed at the lower edge of the door if right in the middle it is concave? The doors are convex both front to back and top to bottom but at the lower bottom right in the middle is slightly indented. Just curious if that's a common occurrence.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: Can you take a look at your door handle area

Sounds like your car had an interesting past. The doors should be convex with no dents. Someone hit the poor things at some point.

Mike