Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
Zimmco

Default 35 Pickup - 3 Restoration Questions

Interior Paint: I looked up some previous posts indicating that the entire interior of the 35 pickup cab including the windshield wiper/windshield hinge covers should be painted the same as the exterior. (Probably going with Dearborn Blue/Poppy Stripe).

Items to be painted black include the steering column, dash rail, and rear window garnish molding. 1) Is it safe to assume that the windshield pillar trims should also be black, as there was no specific mention of them?

Wheel Trim Rings: 2) The V8 Club 35-36 book shows SS wheel bands as an accessory; would these be concours correct on a pickup ?

Wheels: 3) Are Kelsey-Hayes bent spoke wire wheels concours correct?

Thanks for any input!
Al
Zimmco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: 35 Pickup - 3 Restoration Questions

PM Lawson Cox here on the FordBarn, he was working on a '35 Pickup restoration book for the EFV8 Club. He should be able to answer your questions.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Lawson Cox

Interior is body color other than removable garnish moldings, the dash rail and the steering shaft tube with its accouterments and the brake/clutch pedals. All of those items are painted black, as are the windshield trim panels on the A Pillar. Windshield hinge covers are body color. The inside of the windshield frame are painted black.

Kelsey Hayes wire wheels were standard, but not the 40 bent spoke wheels, which are an aftermarket item.

Stainless trim rings on wheels was not listed as a factory accessory.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 08-06-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmco View Post
Interior Paint: I looked up some previous posts indicating that the entire interior of the 35 pickup cab including the windshield wiper/windshield hinge covers should be painted the same as the exterior. (Probably going with Dearborn Blue/Poppy Stripe).

Items to be painted black include the steering column, dash rail, and rear window garnish molding. 1) Is it safe to assume that the windshield pillar trims should also be black, as there was no specific mention of them?

Wheel Trim Rings: 2) The V8 Club 35-36 book shows SS wheel bands as an accessory; would these be concours correct on a pickup ?

Wheels: 3) Are Kelsey-Hayes bent spoke wire wheels concours correct?

Thanks for any input!
Al
W/S pillar trim is black. Wheel trim rings of the correct style are O K.
Kelsey bent spoke wheels are really nice ( I have them on my p/u), but are not Ford OEM. I believe judges would deduct for them.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
Bob NH

You are making a fine choice with Dearborn Blue color. Poppy red wheels and don't forget the poppy pin stripe 3/4 in. below the belt line all the way to the radiator.That is the color I had on mine. When it was in the garage people would ask if it were black or blue. Actually got tired of hand prints on it so put a sign in the window, "the color of this truck is black and blue, if you don't keep your hands off you will be too " Seemed to do the job !
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
Zimmco

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thank you all-Lawson, Jerry, and Bob. I'm trying to get this truck done in time for the Eastern National Meet next year. Thanks, Bob, for the positive comments on the Dearborn Blue. I was originally going to go with black and the green stripe, but it sounds like this combination will really stand out. I assume you did black fenders??
Al
Zimmco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
Don Rogers

Al, Please note that if you are going for correctness on your pickup, a Dearborn Blue (M-1723) body also had Dearborne Blue fenders. The pin stripe would be Medium Poppy Red (M-986) and the wheels would be Black (M-102-C). (per Ford General Letter #312 dated Jan 2, 1935)
Painting the wheels Med. Poppy Red (M-1741) was not standard on Pickups and would have been done as a special order.

Don Rogers Author 1935-36 Ford Book
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote