Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2021, 11:13 AM   #1
yblock57

Default Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

Howdy —

Trying to decode Dad's data plate. Searched around on here and google and all the data plate examples show the later production decoders. His was built in November '56 from what can tell. Getting hung up on the production code at the end... .it's not labeled like the later plates with 'Date' 'Trans' 'Axle'. Any help filling in the blanks appreciated!

Here's what I have;

D = 312 4v
7 = 1957
D = Dallas Plant
V = Victoria Body — Fairlane 500
130591 = 30,591th vehicle assembled
63A = Fairlane 500 Club Victoria
ZE = Coral Sand lower body/Colonial White upper body
2 = tu-tone?
L = Colonial Vinyl and Brown Tropical-Leaf or Brown Silver-Shadow Fabric
26L = 26th November
98 = ?
5 = 2.91:1 Axle?
C = Fordomatic (3-speed)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg data_plate.jpg (54.1 KB, 216 views)

'56 F-100 | '56 Crown Vic | '57 Fairlaine 500 | '57 Thunderbird
yblock57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

Although this is a link to T-Bird page it explains the Data Plates were changed during April of '57.
https://www.ctci.org/decoder/

The "Production code" was discontinued and replaced with Transmission and Axle codes.
https://www.ctci.org/wp-content/uplo...02/print03.jpg

The Production code may have had something to do with how many cars of that model were built for a particular sales district.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Data Plate, later 57.jpg (62.3 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 12-06-2021 at 04:40 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
yblock57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Although this is a link to T-Bird page it explains the Data Plates were changed during April of '57.
https://www.ctci.org/decoder/

The "Production code" was discontinued and replaced with Transmission and Axle codes.

The Production code may have had something to do with how many cars of that model were built for a particular sales district.
Thanks, that's what I was seeing as well. Weird how they changed things mid-year instead of waiting till the '58 model year.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:42 PM   #4
mercman from oz

How to decode the 57 Ford Data Plate
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:05 PM   #5
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by yblock57 View Post
Thanks, that's what I was seeing as well. Weird how they changed things mid-year instead of waiting till the '58 model year.
They may have done it for more effective record keeping and not wanted to put if off longer. ???

The changeover to the '58 model year had at least one of its own problems that may have kept the main office fairly busy. The '58 Birds and Lincolns were built at the new Wixom facility and the Birds weren't ready until about 3 months late.

http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird/prod1957tbird.html

Last edited by dmsfrr; 12-07-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:32 AM   #6
yblock57

Thanks fellas. Have a friend with a later production '57 Custom and noticed his has the different style data plate. Learn something new every day.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #7
rotorwrench

A look at earlier data plate configurations puts the production code in a category that may be pretty simple. The 985C may be the 985th car produced that day and C would be the grave yard shift. The C could definitely be something else like a specific assembly line but without a reference for the 1957 Ford full size passenger car line production code then anything is a guess. All Cars made on a specific day in a specific plant would be included in the daily production numbers from the Thunderbird to the basic Fairlane depending on what assembly plant is affected.

Ford originally published this stuff in both chassis parts catalogs and body parts catalogs depending on the year of manufacture. The body parts catalog for a 1957 Ford should have been stand alone publication but it was combined with 1953 to 1957 and the early 1957 edition may be the one needed. The chassis parts catalog was 1955 to 1957. Most of these books were replaced by the later multi-year semi-inclusive catalogs that covered all Ford cars from 1949 through 1959 so a lot of information was considered redundant and was not always included.

Ford didn't put as much information down for the earlier cars and mid year changes make for some real head scratchers from one year to the next. 1949 was a bad year for data plate information because the system was new compared to 1948. The change from 1951 to the 1952 cars was also a big change due to upgrades in the part number prefixes and the Y-block year of 1954 made even more changes to that.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-07-2021 at 11:02 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:42 AM   #8
yblock57

Thumbs up Re: Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
A look at earlier data plate configurations puts the production code in a category that may be pretty simple. The 985C may be the 985th car produced that day and C would be the grave yard shift. The C could definitely be something else but without a reference for the 1957 Ford full size passenger car line production code then anything is a guess.

Ford originally published this stuff in both chassis parts catalogs and body parts catalogs depending on the year of manufacture. The body parts catalog for a 1957 Ford would have been stand alone publication and the early edition may be the one needed. Most of these books were replaced by the later multi-year semi-inclusive catalogs that covered all Ford cars from 1949 through 1959 so a lot of information was considered redundant and was not always included.

Ford didn't put as much information down for the earlier cars and mid year changes make for some real head scratchers from one year to the next.
Thanks, Rotorwrench. Interesting stuff. Think I'll try posting this on 57fordsforever.com.

Old 12-07-2021, 02:20 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Post Re: Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

Quote:

Think I'll try posting this on 57fordsforever.com.
If you do, can you post a REFERRING URL so that we can also follow the subject/posts?

It is correct about the 1949/59 PASS CAR MPC FINAL ISSUE in that it shows only the later 57/58 PATENT PLATE and no decoding for the PRODUCTION CODE found on earlier style plate(s).

I think the characters 98 represent the SALES DISTRICT the car was intended for. I am working on this but if they know the answer it will save me some trouble and would be appreciated.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:17 PM   #10
yblock57

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
If you do, can you post a REFERRING URL so that we can also follow the subject/posts?

It is correct about the 1949/59 PASS CAR MPC FINAL ISSUE in that it shows only the later 57/58 PATENT PLATE and no decoding for the PRODUCTION CODE found on earlier style plate(s).

I think the characters 98 represent the SALES DISTRICT the car was intended for. I am working on this but if they know the answer it will save me some trouble and would be appreciated.
Sure thing!
Link here.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:06 PM   #11
KULTULZ

!!! Appreciated !!!

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 12-07-2021, 08:13 PM   #12
dmsfrr

Quote:
... The 985C may be the 985th car produced that day and C would be the grave yard shift. ....
985? Yes, see the image below, from the link in reply #2 above... Note the areas outlined in red.
~ scheduled to be assembled on that day ~

Not sure what the "C" is for...

Another possibility is the last digits are the cumulative total of vehicles of that model ordered for that dealer sales area. I've been told this format was used for the '55/'57 T-Birds, by one of the folks who keeps a very large registry, he's affiliated with CTCI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dataplate_55-57 squares.jpg (59.3 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 12-07-2021 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:45 PM   #13
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

!!! WRONG !!!

OK, I have it ciphered out. I just wanted to ring the bell before anyone does at THE OTHER FORUM ...

PRODUCTION CODE

26L - PRODUCTION DATE
98 - DISTRICT SALES
5 - AXLE
C - TRANS

The 2 in the PAINT CODE represents the type of paint used (I believe). I need to search further

The above translation is incorrect My Bad ...

Last edited by KULTULZ; 01-22-2022 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:18 PM   #14
yblock57

Well that makes sense. Interesting stuff there. Thanks!

Old 12-07-2021, 11:15 PM   #15
dmsfrr

Quote:
OK, I have it ciphered out. I just wanted to ring the bell before anyone does at THE OTHER FORUM ...

PRODUCTION CODE

26L - PRODUCTION DATE
98 - DISTRICT SALES
5 - AXLE
C - TRANS

The 2 in the PAINT CODE represents the type of paint used (I believe). I need to search further.
Take another look at the image posted in reply # 12 above.

26L = scheduled production date. Yes

98 = District Sales Area. Nope, there is no sales area 98, see image 1 below.

5 = Axle. Nope, I don't think there were that many factory original choices behind a 312 in '57.

C = Trans. Nope, the transmission codes for '57 models were numbers, not letters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sales area codes.jpg (84.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Trans & axle codes.jpg (45.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 12-08-2021 at 03:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-08-2021, 06:12 AM   #16
KULTULZ

Cool Re: Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

Quote:

Take another look at the image posted in reply # 12 above.

26L = scheduled production date. Yes

98 = District Sales Area. Nope, there is no sales area 98, see image 1 below.

5 = Axle. Nope, I don't think there weren't that many factory original choices behind a 312 in '57.

C = Trans. Nope, the transmission codes for '57 models were numbers, not letters.
What you showed is 1956 BIRD SPECIFIC (BODY TYPE 40A).

It is not known if it came from FORD MATERIAL or was drawn from a BIRD VENDOR source. Same as with your shown DISTRICT SALES CODE CHART, it is not FORD but a re-write. A few details were left out.

You need to be more particular regarding your information sources and not say NOPE but rather IMO.

1957 FORD PASS CAR is being discussed, not BIRD.

It may be that the BIRD SPECIFIC DATA PLATE had different coding in spots as possibly the 57 BIRD was assembled only in DETROIT. Also the plate you showed was for a 56 vehicle. That may be another factor.

It would be interesting to find the facts as opposed to a BIRD VENDOR version `who may not have ciphered FORD info correctly.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-08-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #17
yblock57

No definite answers regarding the production code over at the 57 international site. All their literature makes no mention of it. Another person asked the same question regarding his early production plate and came up empty as well. Not a big deal. All the main info is accounted for. Maybe they didn't think axle/trans info was a big deal till mid year. Ha!

Old 12-08-2021, 12:51 PM   #18
dmsfrr

Quote:
It would be interesting to find the facts as opposed to a BIRD VENDOR version `who may not have ciphered FORD info correctly.
Here are a couple links to separate sources (not T-Bird) that describe the 'Production Code' used on mid-50's Ford data / patent plates for various cars until mid April of '57.

https://www.1954ford.com/page3.php

https://1956-ford.com/images1956ford...ate-decode.pdf

And image 1 below from the Crown Victoria Assn website showing similar information...

In these various examples, plus the one from CTCI, the Production Code is consistently described as being: digits for the day of the month, a letter code for the month, and digits for a (presumably) daily production number.
Some of these plates have usually 2 characters between the date and daily vehicle number that is the Dealer sales area code. Image 2 below.

If you have additional or different information concerning the makeup of the 'Production Code' on this style of data/patent plate I'd welcome seeing it.

Quote:
It is not known if it came from FORD MATERIAL or was drawn from a BIRD VENDOR source.
You need to be more particular regarding your information sources and not say NOPE but rather IMO.
It may be that the BIRD SPECIFIC DATA PLATE had different coding in spots as possibly the 57 BIRD was assembled only in DETROIT. Also the plate you showed was for a 56 vehicle. That may be another factor.
It was because of the '55/'57 Thunderbirds that much of the original Ford vehicle information from the mid/late 50's was saved.
"... Lois (Eminger) worked in the Legal Department at Ford, and needed to research a particular 1955 Thunderbird. When she asked the people in archiving for the invoice, she was told that they were all thrown away after 10 years ... (she) felt this information might be of importance to people down the road, so she asked for permission to save these copies for future reference, and permission was granted by Ford for her to do so."
https://automotivemileposts.com/tbir...57eminger.html

Yes the charts on the CTCI / Thunderbird website don't specifically include other Ford car models, but the information corresponds directly with the original Ford documents mentioned in the previous paragraph.
"...we have Thunderbird invoices for the 1955 models after serial number 232214 and substantially all of the 1956 and 1957 models available ..."
https://www.ctci.org/invoice-sales/

FYI, approximately 99% of '55/'57 T-Birds were built in Dearborn.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CVA data patent plate closeup.jpg (46.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P6FH326626.jpg (64.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 12-08-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:30 PM   #19
KULTULZ

Question Re: Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

Quote:

No definite answers regarding the production code over at the 57 international site. All their literature makes no mention of it. Another person asked the same question regarding his early production plate and came up empty as well. Not a big deal. All the main info is accounted for. Maybe they didn't think axle/trans info was a big deal till mid year. Ha!
I assure you the cipher I gave is correct.

EDIT -

And it turns out as not correct.

The exact info to cipher all plates was deleted from the 1949/59 FORD PASS CAR MPC - FINAL ISSUE.

See attached for excerpts from pre-mid 1957 PATENT PLATE info - this particular reading describing a Retractable HDT. There appears to be deviations between different model lines.

This is the source of the info that needs to be found, not a BIRD Restorer's opinion.

Your PRODUCTION CODE reads for your particular 57 as -

1) 26L - BUILD DATE
2) 98 - DISTRICT SALES
3) 5 - 2.91 RR AXLE
4) C - F/M (All Were 3S)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-16-2021 at 02:06 AM. Reason: TO POINT OUT MY READING COMPREHENSION DIFFICULTIES
Old 12-08-2021, 08:12 PM   #20
KULTULZ

This is the thread @ 57fordsforever.com -

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index....c=8938.new#new

There is a REFERRING URL within that thread that will give you most info on the late 57 FORD PLATE.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-08-2021, 08:23 PM   #21
yblock57

Quote:
I assure you the cipher I gave is correct.

The exact info to cipher all plates was deleted from the 1949/59 FORD PASS CAR MPC - FINAL ISSUE.

See attached for excerpts from pre-mid 1957 PATENT PLATE info - this particular reading describing a Retractable HDT. There appears to be deviations between different model lines.

This is the source of the info that needs to be found,, not a BIRD Restorer's opinion.

1) 26L - BUILD DATE
2) 98 - DISTRICT SALES
3) 5 - 2.91 RR AXLE
4) C - F/M (All Were 3S)

Kultulz for the win! Thanks for posting this and figuring out the last piece of the puzzle. [emoji1303]

Old 12-08-2021, 08:38 PM   #22
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

Quote:

Here are a couple links to separate sources (not T-Bird) that describe the 'Production Code' used on mid-50's Ford data / patent plates for various cars until mid April of '57.

https://www.1954ford.com/page3.php

https://1956-ford.com/images1956ford...ate-decode.pdf

And image 1 below from the Crown Victoria Assn website showing similar information...

In these various examples, plus the one from CTCI, the Production Code is consistently described as being: digits for the day of the month, a letter code for the month, and digits for a (presumably) daily production number.
Some of these plates have usually 2 characters between the date and daily vehicle number that is the Dealer sales area code. Image 2 below.

If you have additional or different information concerning the makeup of the 'Production Code' on this style of data/patent plate I'd welcome seeing it.

It was because of the '55/'57 Thunderbirds that much of the original Ford vehicle information from the mid/late 50's was saved.
"While employed at Ford Motor Company, (Lois) Eminger discovered that original invoice copies were being destroyed when no longer needed. ... Eminger felt this information might be of importance to people down the road, so she asked for permission to save these copies for future reference, and permission was granted by Ford for her to do so."

Yes the charts on the CTCI / Thunderbird website don't specifically include other Ford car models, but the information corresponds directly with the original Ford documents mentioned in the previous paragraph.
"...we have Thunderbird invoices for the 1955 models after serial number 232214 and substantially all of the 1956 and 1957 models available ..."

FYI, approximately 99% of '55/'57 T-Birds were built in Dearborn.

Quote:

"While employed at Ford Motor Company, (Lois) Eminger discovered that original invoice copies were being destroyed when no longer needed. ... Eminger felt this information might be of importance to people down the road, so she asked for permission to save these copies for future reference, and permission was granted by Ford for her to do so."

Yes the charts on the CTCI Thunderbird website don't specifically include other Ford car models, but the information corresponds directly with the original Ford documents mentioned in the previous paragraph .

FYI,approximately 98/99% of '55/'57 T-Birds were built in Dearborn, not Detroit.

Now let me ask you this as your testosterone level is hitting peak and I am concerned about your heart.

You see no differences in the numerous produced early 57 PATENT PLATES PRODUCTION CODE NUMBERS AND SEQUENCE differences?

You cannot compare an early 57 PLATE with an earlier year PLATE without having the exact manufacturer year information.

I have found only one true example of the coding and that will have to be found in it's entirety in a much earlier catalog printing. What your experts are going on is based only on incomplete facts and documentation. Maybe the subject was never noticed or drew interest before this exchange.

Concerning DETROIT and/or DEARBORN, you say tomato and I say tomatoes. They are just like PREGO, it's all in there.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-08-2021, 08:46 PM   #23
KULTULZ

Quote:

Kultulz for the win! Thanks for posting this and figuring out the last piece of the puzzle. [emoji1303]
Well, it was no win. I am just trying to rid the hobby of OLD WIVES TALES. I still have to find the correct original information in it's entirety.

Now did you read the description of 2 and 3 after the EXTERIOR PAINT CODE?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-08-2021, 08:48 PM   #24
yblock57

From what I read, the 2 stood for tu-tone paint. They explained it would be a ‘3’ for tri-color cars, but that has to be ‘59 & up. Never seen or heard of a tri-color ‘57.

EDIT:

Fella on the 57 site clarified;

“The 2 after the paint code is for the second formula for mixing the paint, "Coral sand" had 3 formula changers during the 57 model run.”

Interesting that they changed paint formulas. Wonder if that changed the shade as well? Learn something new everyday.

Last edited by yblock57; 12-08-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:54 PM   #25
dmsfrr

Quote:
1) 26L - BUILD DATE
2) 98 - DISTRICT SALES
3) 5 - 2.91 RR AXLE
4) C - F/M (All Were 3S)
Back in the original post is an image of a November '56 data plate for a '57 model year car. Image 1.
The question asked in that original post was how to break down the "Production Code" number on the right side of the second line.

After other examples were presented, you included a March 19, '57 dated patent plate example with decoding notes that include the following items in the Production Code: Date, Dealer Code and Item Number. Image 2.
The previous examples also had the same Production Code breakdown.

An updated data plate style used after the middle of April '57 was also shown to now include the Transmission and Axle codes instead of the "Production Code". Example in image 3.

Please provide realistic evidence of Dealer Sales District "98" and how Transmission and Axle codes can be found on an early '57 plate where they don't exist. Image 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yb57 data plate.jpg (54.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg PATENT PLATE - 1957 FORD - EARLY - Decode.jpg (79.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg D7FH329710 data plate.jpg (36.2 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 12-09-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:01 AM   #26
KULTULZ

Quote:
Please provide realistic evidence of Dealer Sales District "98" and how Transmission and Axle codes can be found on an early '57 plate where they don't exist. Image 2.
You are not hearing what I post. Please turn your volume up.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-09-2021, 04:05 AM   #27
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

Quote:

From what I read, the 2 stood for tu-tone paint. They explained it would be a ‘3’ for tri-color cars, but that has to be ‘59 & up. Never seen or heard of a tri-color ‘57.

EDIT:

Fella on the 57 site clarified;

“The 2 after the paint code is for the second formula for mixing the paint, "Coral sand" had 3 formula changers during the 57 model run.”

Interesting that they changed paint formulas. Wonder if that changed the shade as well? Learn something new everyday.
Interesting. We now have one one poster with a different position.

Now I also need to find a 1957 FORD PAINT COLOR CHART...

I think we see now why FORD changed the PATENT PLATE STYLE.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-09-2021, 04:32 AM   #28
KULTULZ

PAINT CODE - 2 EXPLAINED

I fell for this interpretation -

Quote:
SkylinerRon

RE; The 2 or 3 after the paint code.

The 2 denotes TuTone paint. 1st letter body color, 2nd top color.

The 3 denotes Styletone paint. 1st letter top and below the side trim, 2nd middle of body.

Ron
SOURCE - http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index....6.0#quickreply

This is the correct answer -

Quote:
Lou

The 2 after the paint code is for the second formula for mixing the paint, "Coral sand" had 3 formula changers during the 57 model run.

The production code meant different things at different plants, at Dallas I believe it was a part of a dealer code, the full dealer code would have had the numbers for the sales district in front of them. The "C" meant the 3rd car in this order (A dealer got a discount on shipping if he ordered a truck load of cars at a time, a truck load being 4 cars or in some cases 5 cars .)
I thought it had to do with formulation but CRS is taking its ugly toll. - REFER TO POST #13 - (Covering My Butt)

TAKE NOTICE -

Quote:
The production code meant different things at different plants
This may explain the many anomalies ( college word) among the plates.

Interesting subject and discussion.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-09-2021 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:17 AM   #29
rotorwrench

Without factory production code verification, those last digits with the C at the end are just a guess. FoMoCo didn't specifically have any transmission or rear axle information till mid 1957 after the April change to the plate format. A mechanic had to look at the differential for stamping or a tag to verify ratios. The Characteristics of the housing told the rest of the story on transmissions and rear axle.

A lot of Fords stampings meant something to the plant that produced it but the water gets muddy to anyone on the outside. I like to see proof positive but a lot of times there is none.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #30
KULTULZ

Quote:

Without factory production code verification, those last digits with the C at the end are just a guess. FoMoCo didn't specifically have any transmission or rear axle information till mid 1957 after the April change to the plate format.
That statement is not any more factual than my stating the TRANS-AXLE CODE(s) is included in the PRODUCTION CODE. It needs an IMO.

Quote:
A mechanic had to look at the differential for stamping or a tag to verify ratios. The Characteristics of the housing told the rest of the story on transmissions and rear axle.

These tags were not that informativeon the early units, so from 1957 to 1962 the tag just referenced axle ratio. In 1963, Ford included more information.
Above text copied from here - https://www.diyford.com/ford-axle-hi...differentials/

Quote:
A lot of Fords stampings meant something to the plant that produced it but the water gets muddy to anyone on the outside.
And that was most likely the reason FORD changed the format.

Quote:
I like to see proof positive but a lot of times there is none.
I showed partial info. One needs to find FORD SOURCED cataloging before mid-1957 to understand fully the older system.

The PATENT PLATE info also varied between CAR LINES, PRODUCTION DATES and ASSEMBLY PLANTS. Without actual period FORD documentation, true verification cannot be established. But one can use common sense to cipher it out.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-09-2021, 12:51 PM   #31
dmsfrr

Quote:
Without factory production code verification, those last digits with the C at the end are just a guess. FoMoCo didn't specifically have any transmission or rear axle information till mid 1957 after the April change to the plate format. ...
Quote:
That statement is not any more factual than my stating the TRANS-AXLE CODE(s) is included in the PRODUCTION CODE. ...
KULTULZ, Yes his statement is more factual. And is confirmed by the several examples from several sources that include specific descriptions of the 'Production Code' on the pre-April '57 style plate. Including one you provided, with the plate dated March '57. Attached below...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PATENT PLATE - 1957 FORD - EARLY - Decode outlined.jpg (67.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 12-10-2021 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:06 PM   #32
KULTULZ

Quote:

KULTULZ, Yes his statement is more factual. And is confirmed by the several examples from several sources that include specific descriptions of the 'Production Code' on the pre-April '57 style plate. Including one you provided, with the plate dated March '57. Attached below...
You forgot to post IMO ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-09-2021, 08:53 PM   #33
KULTULZ

Quote:

KULTULZ, Yes his statement is more factual. And is confirmed by the several examples from several sources that include specific descriptions of the 'Production Code' on the pre-April '57 style plate.

Including one you provided, with the plate dated March '57. Attached below...
Jim, it is Jim correct? Gary here -

The photo in question was a partial plate shown in an eBay ad describing (showing) early patent plate info. It had an accompanying photo that had a paragraph cut off that would most likely explain this whole thing. That is the info I am after. If I have to buy an old print CATALOG I will do it as it will also answer many more questions other than this one being discussed.

Not all is at it seems.

You have to understand FORD and BIRD were not identical and the BIRD restorers only show BIRD specific info. That have no interest in anything but the 55/57 BIRD.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-09-2021, 09:08 PM   #34
KULTULZ

UPDATE - NEW INFO FOUND REGARDING POST #28 -

Quote:

PAINT CODE - 2 EXPLAINED
Quote:
1956 Ford Car Exterior Paint Colors

Single-Tone Colors Conventional Two-Tone Colors Style-

Tone Two-Tone Colors Spring Colors
This is from a 1956 FORD PAINT CHART. Whether 57 is the same I don't know yet but hopefully will.

CONV 2-TONE had to be a lower trim level than STYLE-TONE TWO-TONE -

STYLE-TONE had two separate and distinctive paint applications/formats (See 1957 FORD EXT COLOR CHART within this thread)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-16-2021 at 01:59 AM. Reason: CLARIFY STYLE-TONE DIFFERENCES
Old 12-10-2021, 06:36 AM   #35
KULTULZ

Quote:
Howdy —

Trying to decode Dad's data plate. Searched around on here and google and all the data plate examples show the later production decoders. His was built in November '56 from what can tell. Getting hung up on the production code at the end... .it's not labeled like the later plates with 'Date' 'Trans' 'Axle'. Any help filling in the blanks appreciated!

Here's what I have;

D = 312 4v
7 = 1957
D = Dallas Plant
2 = tu-tone?
26L = 26th November
98 = ?
OK, I found the 57 EXT COLOR CHART ...

Can you show a photo of the 57 as I don't want to post anything without being 100% positively sure as the natives are getting restless ...

This is getting as bad as trying to break the ENIGMA CODE ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-10-2021, 10:17 AM   #36
yblock57

Sure thing;
57_fairlane_500.jpg

Old 12-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #37
KULTULZ

!!! DAMN !!!

I just asked for a photo. You didn't have to make me cry. That car is more beautiful than DOLLY PARTON.

Any who, the paint scheme is STYLE-TONE. I think the character 2 distinguishes it from the CONVENTIONAL TWO-TONE. Yours is what the one poster @ 57fordsforever described as THREE-TONE, but actually is TWO-TONE applied in a different format.

More info and PAINT CHART is here - http://jerrysclassiccars.com/1957_ford_paint_codes.html

I am waiting for some early info and as I figure it our, I will update this thread.

You tell your daddy I said he has class ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-10-2021, 02:39 PM   #38
Late model

This may add to the solution, or confusion. I believe this is the original published version of the 1957 Ford serial plate.
It's from my original 1955-1956-1957 Ford Parts manual Form 7516, printed September 1956, or earlier. It’s not uncommon for manufacturers to release Service and Parts manuals even before the first piece of equipment goes down the line.
This plate definitely is different from Y Block57A’s plate. It has 8 patent numbers instead of the 14 in his plate and there are a number of other differences between the plates including 985C vs the 47 in the last part of the production code.
It could very well be a 56 plate reworked for a pic to get the manual out to the dealers.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Early 57 Patent Plate.jpg (50.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg plate 1.jpg (58.3 KB, 12 views)
Late model is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:15 PM   #39
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late model View Post

This may add to the solution, or confusion. I believe this is the original published version of the 1957 Ford serial plate.

It's from my original 1955-1956-1957 Ford Parts manual Form 7516, printed September 1956, or earlier.

It’s not uncommon for manufacturers to release Service and Parts manuals even before the first piece of equipment goes down the line.

This plate definitely is different from Y Block57A’s plate. It has 8 patent numbers instead of the 14 in his plate and there are a number of other differences between the plates including 985C vs the 47 in the last part of the production code.

It could very well be a 56 plate reworked for a pic to get the manual out to the dealers.

Don
THANX for the plate info.

The troubles seems to lie in the ASSEMBLY PLANT(s) using different coding on the same plate style. The one you show (FORD CATALOGING) shows a plate from DEARBORN ASSY. You can plainly see the difference(s) between this plate and the one being discussed, DALLAS ASSY.

I have captured several plates and all of the examples I have from a limited number of ASSY PLANTS shows different coding style for each.

Quote:
It's from my original 1955-1956-1957 Ford Parts manual Form 7516, printed September 1956, or earlier.

It’s not uncommon for manufacturers to release Service and Parts manuals even before the first piece of equipment goes down the line.
You're correct in the printing date and its showing an early 57 PLATE. FORD even issued PRELIMINARY WSM's as some dealers got early delivery.

Now, how much for your catalog? ...

FORGOT- (as usual)

Is the CATALOG bound or loose leaf?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-10-2021, 03:45 PM   #40
KULTULZ

TRUE TRI-TONE

SHOWN ON 1958 EDSEL

SOURCE - www.edsel.com

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-11-2021, 09:04 AM   #41
Ford blue blood

One more tri-tone. Very early production (first day Louisville plant) August 1957.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 110Edsel 019.jpg (35.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Edsel001.jpg (59.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Edsel work 19.jpg (74.4 KB, 20 views)

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:09 AM   #42
KULTULZ

Now, I ain't b!tching, so don't take this wrong ...

Where is and what color is the third tone? I can't see it from the photo and I have no EDSEL MPC to cross it.

Where in the car did you find the build sheet?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-11-2021, 12:25 PM   #43
KULTULZ

The below post (1st in thread) is from another thread - 1956 Crown Victoria Data Plate - https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...07#post2083907 - but is actually a continuation of this present thread.

I want to connect the two so that anyone researching this subject in the future will hopefully have easy access to either thread -

Quote:

Since we're on the subject of data plate decoding, I had Dad send me the one off his '56 crown. Here's what I've dug up. That pesky production code is the only part that seems to be questionable (like the early '57 posted prior). Any comments/corrections welcome.

One noteworthy thing here is the production date; May 2nd. We were always under the impression this was an early production car due to the air-cooled Fordomatic transmission. Anyone have an any info when they switched to the liquid-cooled FOM?

Attachment 479857

P = 312 4v
6 = 1956
D = Dallas Assembly Plant
W = Crown Victoria
198517 = 98,517th car assembled
64A = Fairlane Crown Victoria (steel top)
L = Peacock Blue (lower body)
E = Colonial White (upper body)
S = Style-Tone (tu-tone)
AN = White Vinyl & Dark Peacock Cloth
2E = May 2, 1956
10 = Dealer Code
7D = Scheduled Item #

Thanks,

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #44
yblock57

Quote:
!!! DAMN !!!

I just asked for a photo. You didn't have to make me cry. That car is more beautiful than DOLLY PARTON.

Any who, the paint scheme is STYLE-TONE. I think the character 2 distinguishes it from the CONVENTIONAL TWO-TONE. Yours is what the one poster @ 57fordsforever described as THREE-TONE, but actually is TWO-TONE applied in a different format.

More info and PAINT CHART is here - http://jerrysclassiccars.com/1957_ford_paint_codes.html

I am waiting for some early info and as I figure it our, I will update this thread.

You tell your daddy I said he has class ...

Thanks, Kultulz! It’s his favorite of the collection. Fairly low optioned for a 500, but has the 312, Fordomatic, radio (t&c), rear speaker, heater, windshield washers & backup lights. He added the town & country and day/night mirror back when you could still buy that stuff for a reasonable price at the swap meets. We have a ‘57 Fairlane 2-dr sedan parts car with a complete power steering setup. Maybe add that one day.

Old 12-11-2021, 02:09 PM   #45
Late model

Quote:
THANX for the plate info.

The troubles seems to lie in the ASSEMBLY PLANT(s) using different coding on the same plate style. The one you show (FORD CATALOGING) shows a plate from DEARBORN ASSY. You can plainly see the difference(s) between this plate and the one being discussed, DALLAS ASSY.

I have captured several plates and all of the examples I have from a limited number of ASSY PLANTS shows different coding style for each.

You're correct in the printing date and its showing an early 57 PLATE. FORD even issued PRELIMINARY WSM's as some dealers got early delivery.

Now, how much for your catalog? ...

FORGOT- (as usual)

Is the CATALOG bound or loose leaf?
Sorry, but it's not for sale.
It's a bound OEM parts manual in good condition, actually too good to take out to the shop so I use a downloaded 1949-1959 manual in out there. I just print out what I need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957 ford parts manual G.jpg (79.4 KB, 13 views)
Late model is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 06:32 PM   #46
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late model View Post

Sorry, but it's not for sale.

It's a bound OEM parts manual in good condition, actually too good to take out to the shop so I use a downloaded 1949-1959 manual in out there. I just print out what I need.
I like the CD versions as as well as the originals do not get torn up, WSM also. Much info was dropped with the FINAL ISSUE.

Hey, you can't blame a guy for trying ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-11-2021, 06:57 PM   #47
KULTULZ

Yours has the STYLE-TONE PAINT SCHEME -

Below find the EXT PAINT CHART for the 1957 model run. At the very bottom of the chart you will find the paint scheme definitions.

http://jerrysclassiccars.com/1957_ford_paint_codes.html

There are two STYLE-TONE schemes. I am not sure at this point if the 2 in the code differentiates the two STYLE-TONE SCHEMES.

The chart is from JERRYS CLASSIC CARS to give credit where credit is due.

ADDENDUM - (Fr.)

Now is this car a survivor or restoration. Is it a driver or mostly show?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-11-2021 at 07:07 PM. Reason: CRS
Old 12-12-2021, 12:02 AM   #48
alt63bird

The production code string for '55-mid '57 is something that can get confusing real quick. The first 2-3 digits (#X or ##X) for date is not in dispute. The following digits depend on how the car was ordered as several have pointed out - finding the pattern on full-size cars as to usage of a two-digit alpha-numeric code for District Sales Office will take some quantity of samples to get an educated guess or better, along with the letter that ends the string, such as 'P' or 'C' or whatever. General concurrence is that following the date/DSO code that the remaining numbers indicate either the number of units produced for the day at that assembly plant, or number of units produced for the day or from the beginning of production if it's preceded by a DSO code, and that the ending letter designation is for kind of order, which needs a little more study on my part and others to see what's been discussed previously for this item.

I think it's fairly conclusive that the production code doesn't give the axle or transmission selection from what I've studied and read over the past 4 decades.

Now, for the exterior paint code string, it well could be that the number could also represent the type of two-tone it got, whether a traditional solid body lower color and roof of the other color, or the 'Styletone' scheme with lower body/roof color and contrasting upper body/hood/trunk color. It may not directly relate to '57s, but as late as 1961-1962 Ford did follow two-digit two-tone paint codes (first letter = body color, second letter = roof color) with a third digit indicating what kind/style of two-tone was applied, especially for 1960-1961 Fords. A two-tone code with '1' from '60-'61 indicated a traditional two-tone with solid body color and roof of the second color; with the way the '60 Ford's panels/side trim separated the roof/trunk and roof sides, a '2' indicated the 'Styletone' scheme with solid body color and top of roof, with side panel of roof being the second color; a '3' indicated the upper surfaces of the hood/trunk and roof were the contrasting color, with the roof side getting body color (? - I get this confused as it wasn't documented very well). In '61 the full-size cars had 2 possible two-tone variations thanks to the trim on the edge of the roof of Galaxie models carried over from '60, and theoretically the T-bird, with its fender peak molding creating a separation for hood/trunk color, but no mention was made in sales literature for a two-tone combo other than the basic body/roof separation. T-bird data plates for '61 often had a '1' following the two-letter code for the body/roof colors: there are some early '62s that continued to use the number '1' after the two-digit code, and a few early T-bird Landaus with vinyl roofs had an 'A' or 'B' after the single-digit body color for the vinyl roof color (black or white).

Digging out dealer showroom albums and selection charts may help with understanding how Ford coded the differing two-tone/Styletone combinations available in the late '50s-early '60s. Production codes, however, are probably going to require a sampling of entries from data plates to look for patterns.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #49
yblock57

Quote:
Yours has the STYLE-TONE PAINT SCHEME -

Below find the EXT PAINT CHART for the 1957 model run. At the very bottom of the chart you will find the paint scheme definitions.

http://jerrysclassiccars.com/1957_ford_paint_codes.html

There are two STYLE-TONE schemes. I am not sure at this point if the 2 in the code differentiates the two STYLE-TONE SCHEMES.

The chart is from JERRYS CLASSIC CARS to give credit where credit is due.

ADDENDUM - (Fr.)

Now is this car a survivor or restoration. Is it a driver or mostly show?
Thanks for the clarification on the paint scheme code.

It’s a driver — repainted in 1996. Someone put seat covers with incorrect pattern but door panels carpet & headliner are original. Engine doesn’t appear to have ever been out of the car. No way to know for sure, unless opened up. Still runs very well. Floors are original rust-free and still have factory overspray visible. Dad’s owned since 1979. No documentation before he got it. Would be cool to know what dealer it was sold new.

Last edited by yblock57; 12-12-2021 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #50
Ford blue blood

Quote:
Now, I ain't b!tching, so don't take this wrong ...

Where is and what color is the third tone? I can't see it from the photo and I have no EDSEL MPC to cross it.

Where in the car did you find the build sheet?

The colors are Joquine Yellow (body), Sunset Coral (coves) and Snow White (roof). It is known on the Edsel group site as the QER Pacer. Not my naming but that given by the folks over there. They claim only three were built, color combination was dropped in August of 57.

The build sheet was in the area where the dash wraps around under the windshield on the drivers side.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:56 AM   #51
KULTULZ

Quote:
They claim only three were built, color combination was dropped in August of 57.
THANX for the clarification. You might be a wealthy man

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-12-2021, 12:01 PM   #52
KULTULZ

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification on the paint scheme code.

It’s a driver — repainted in 1996. Someone put seat covers with incorrect pattern but door panels carpet & headliner are original. Engine doesn’t appear to have ever been out of the car. No way to know for sure, unless opened up. Still runs very well. Floors are original rust-free and still have factory overspray visible. Dad’s owned since 1979. No documentation before he got it. Would be cool to know what dealer it was sold new.
It may well be within the PRODUCTION CODE, but I would think the DISTRICT SALES would be there instead.

Let me back away from my decoding your PRODUCTION CODE until I hopefully gather more concise information. When I find something definite, I will post it on this thread.

Yeah, PS and PB would be two nice additions.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #53
yblock57

Quote:
It may well be within the PRODUCTION CODE, but I would think the DISTRICT SALES would be there instead.

Let me back away from my decoding your PRODUCTION CODE until I hopefully gather more concise information. When I find something definite, I will post it on this thread.

Yeah, PS and PB would be two nice additions.

10-4. Appreciate all the help [emoji1303]

Old 12-12-2021, 12:05 PM   #54
KULTULZ

Quote:

10-4. Appreciate all the help [emoji1303]
And I appreciate your sharing in return ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-15-2021, 10:22 AM   #55
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

- UPDATE ON ONGOING SAGA -

I come to you with a heavy heart. I have discovered that the early PATENT PLATE PRODUCTION CODE does not include TRANS/REAR info but only the BUILD DATE. The rest of the coding is unexplained for now.

This discussion - http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=5454.0 - will illustrate what I misinterpreted as someone else did also.

Now, this does not answer the 2 in the EXT PAINT CODE or the variances in differing ASSY PLANT PLATES. I am still working on it.

If the needed decode is not found in the 55/57 FORD PARTS CATALOG, then the info was not available to the field. I know that when I was in it (1970-1990), any car that came through with a DSO CODE and wasn't described fully in the MPC, one had to contact DEARBORN cataloging for the the build info. I have a feeling this is the explanation (but then again, I have been wrong before).

The TRANS was identified easily by the assembly tag, the REAR was a crap-shoot as not all came through with tags in all years (1954-57). And there is not REAR TAG info decoding in the 49/59 MPC.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-15-2021, 01:57 PM   #56
yblock57

Quote:
- UPDATE ON ONGOING SAGA -

I come to you with a heavy heart. I have discovered that the early PATENT PLATE PRODUCTION CODE does not include TRANS/REAR info but only the BUILD DATE. The rest of the coding is unexplained for now.

This discussion - http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=5454.0 - will illustrate what I misinterpreted as someone else did also.

Now, this does not answer the 2 in the EXT PAINT CODE or the variances in differing ASSY PLANT PLATES. I am still working on it.

If the needed decode is not found in the 55/57 FORD PARTS CATALOG, then the info was not available to the field. I know that when I was in it (1970-1990), any car that came through with a DSO CODE and wasn't described fully in the MPC, one had to contact DEARBORN cataloging for the the build info. I have a feeling this is the explanation (but then again, I have been wrong before).

The TRANS was identified easily by the assembly tag, the REAR was a crap-shoot as not all came through with tags in all years (1954-57). And there is not REAR TAG info decoding in the 49/59 MPC.

Appreciate the follow-up, and all the leg work. Thanks for clarifying.

Do you think Dearborn still has any records from that era on this stuff? I know the factory invoices are available for mid-55-57 ‘birds, but have never heard of any passenger car or truck records from that era being available.

Old 12-15-2021, 02:31 PM   #57
dmsfrr

Quote:
. . .
Do you think Dearborn still has any records from that era on this stuff? I know the factory invoices are available for mid-55-57 ‘birds, but have never heard of any passenger car or truck records from that era being available.
Here is another source for some 60's, 70's & 80's original information & documents, although the selection is very limited.

https://www.martiauto.com/originalinvoices.cfm
Old 12-15-2021, 03:09 PM   #58
alt63bird

Search here and in Google "Rotunda fire 1962" and prepare to cry. A lot of records from 1953-early 60s went up in smoke because of it.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #59
KULTULZ

Quote:

Appreciate the follow-up, and all the leg work. Thanks for clarifying.
No problem. It seems to me I was going to do this some years ago but as usual, CRS blinded my way.

Still working on it. It just so happened the sequence of your PRODUCTION CODE fit within certain parameters (where's the boy getting all of these college words ... ).

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #60
yblock57

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt63bird View Post
Search here and in Google "Rotunda fire 1962" and prepare to cry. A lot of records from 1953-early 60s went up in smoke because of it.

Remember reading an article about that. Good point, unfortunately.

The Henry Ford website shows this;

The following books from the Car & Parts Magazine Matching Numbers Series can help you decode VIN numbers:

Catalog of American Car ID Numbers 1950-1959

Wonder if it has anything additional besides the already known fields.

Old 12-17-2021, 03:58 PM   #61
KULTULZ

Here is another possible source of information -

https://detroitpubliclibrary.org/res...ory-collection

Another -

https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-17-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-23-2021, 03:09 AM   #62
KULTULZ

Here is the most complete information I have found to date -

https://ctcc9.blogspot.com/2010/08/d...revisited.html

It is BIRD oriented but begins to explain some of the mystery.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-27-2021, 10:39 AM   #63
yblock57

Quote:
Here is the most complete information I have found to date -

https://ctcc9.blogspot.com/2010/08/d...revisited.html

It is BIRD oriented but begins to explain some of the mystery.
Appreciate the link. Interesting read. Helps explain Dad's '57 'bird a little better too.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:57 AM   #64
KULTULZ

Quote:

Appreciate the link. Interesting read. Helps explain Dad's '57 'bird a little better too.
That gives a pretty good synopsis.

I have a bunch of info I need to process once I get up off my lazy a$$ ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 01-02-2022, 01:22 PM   #65
KULTULZ

Red face Re: Early Production '57 Ford Data Plate Questions

Quote:
Howdy —

Here's what I have;

D = 312 4v
7 = 1957
D = Dallas Plant
2 = tu-tone?
26L = 26th November
98 = ?
Here is a similar thread describing the wrong interpretation of the 1957 PATENT PLATE. I was unaware of the style change in mid-production 57 FORD.

- http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=5454.0

EDIT -

POST #16 Within The Above Thread -

Quote:
Your plate does not have a trans and axle code, that number is a district/dealer number there were 3 different styles of data plate used in 57 , early, no trans or axle code, starting about April 1, 1957 simular plate but place for axle and trans code., then at some plants the style that lalessi1 shows, which is simular to the 58/59 data plate.

dmsfrr trumped me. I THANK HIM for pointing this out to me ...

Still working on early de-code. Each ASSY PLANT issued its own early plate.

Fascinating.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 01-02-2022 at 01:30 PM. Reason: CRS
Old 01-02-2022, 07:49 PM   #66
dmsfrr

Thank you.

"Still working on early de-code."
Here's a link to a website I don't recall having seen before, for both '55 & '56 full sized cars.

http://1955-ford.com/index.html
http://1955-ford.com/1955-ford-data-plate-codes.html

It seems to have more detail about exterior and interior colors than I was expecting. There are also a few links to color scheme layout descriptions (some of which may have already been included in this thread) but few photos.

This first one looks just like a Crown Vic. Assn. document I've seen before.
http://1955-ford.com/img-55-ford-dat...te-decoder.pdf

This one also appears to be another CVA document.
http://1955-ford.com/img-55-ford-data-plate-codes/54-55-56-ford-us-and-can-paint-colors.pdf

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-02-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:10 AM   #67
KULTULZ

Quote:

Thank you.

"Still working on early de-code."

Here's a link to a website I don't recall having seen before, for both '55 & '56 full sized cars.
You are welcome.

THANX for the additional info. This particular one - http://1955-ford.com/img-55-ford-dat...te-decoder.pdf - has more info than I realized as it was viewed earlier but the 2nd page was unreadable and I didn't go past the 2nd page. It turns out there are nineteen pages with a lot of additional info.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 01-03-2022, 07:10 AM   #68
KULTULZ

Here is one problem ...

Posted Here is a 1953 PRODUCT LETTER ...

- https://www.1954ford.com/page3.php -

... that was modified. The poster inserted a photo of his car exactly where (7) Production Code Information was posted -

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 01-14-2022, 11:26 AM   #69
KULTULZ

Quote:
RICH MUISE

The management service letters came in the mail yesterday. I've got to go thru them, but as I suspected might be the case, most of the letters pertain to '58 stuff as the first letter was dated October '57. I'll post anything that might be of interest or relevant after I read them.

One of the letters that quickly caught my eye was 3 or 4 pages on decoding '58 vin plates, deciphering part numbers, etc. Makes me want to look for the '57 version.
SOURCE - http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index....0.0#quickreply

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 01-17-2022, 11:38 PM   #70
alt63bird

Early 57 data plate info - Management Service Letter M-144 - Oct. 8, 1956

Late 57 data plate info (starting April 1957) - Management Service Letter M-155, May 3, 1957

You're welcome...
Old 01-18-2022, 12:14 AM   #71
dmsfrr

Quote:

Late 57 data plate info (starting April 1957) - Management Service Letter M-155, May 3, 1957

You're welcome...
Wow! Very amazing, thank you.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:20 AM   #72
KULTULZ

Quote:

You're welcome...
!!! DAMN !!!

I don't know how you did it but it is greatly appreciated.

KULTULZ standing in a bread line and asks for toast -

M-144 refers to M-144A for additional info. Is it possible you came across that copy also?

The differences between the early PATENT PLATE PRODUCTION CODE(S) INFO among ASSEMBLY PLANTS is not answered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MSL M-144 Refer To M-144A.jpg (25.7 KB, 52 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 01-18-2022, 11:27 PM   #73
alt63bird

Quote:
!!! DAMN !!!

I don't know how you did it but it is greatly appreciated.

KULTULZ standing in a bread line and asks for toast -

M-144 refers to M-144A for additional info. Is it possible you came across that copy also?
How did I do it? I've been collecting this kind of information in part for researching and helping develop Concours/Judging Rules / Original Factory Specifications as part of my Editor/Tech Director positions for VTCI since the 1980s. And people keep giving me old copies of service bulletins once they find out what I do with the information - in fact I just had a VTCI member ship 6 boxes of TSBs and other service publications from the '60s-'80s to me rather than throw them into the dumpster.

As for the production codes on the pre-April '57 data plates and differences between assembly plants, about the only way to answer that is to actively collect/examine plates and corresponding car information. The date coding at the beginning of the string should be the same for all plants. The use of sales district coding (used on T-birds in late '55-'57, which were all assembled at Dearborn Assembly Plant (i.e. the "Rouge") except for cars in 'knock-down' condition for final assembly overseas or in Mexico, for instance) is known - in fact, the MSL issued for 1956 data plate decoding has a separate listing for the district codes used on the T-bird data plates.

What's murky is the production number, which the MSLs and PSLs state state was the number of units built in one day at an assembly plant. This varied in use, such as to consecutively tally the number of T-birds sold within a sales district (this was discovered by people collecting this info for 'Birds), and the letter code found at the end of the production code string on '57 plates (A,B,C,P, etc.) indicating type of order. T-bird researchers over the years have narrowed the letter codes at the end of the string down based on study of invoices retained by CTCI to identify special order, dealer-specified order, dealer- or district- group order, unit scheduled for regular production or other, with consensus that the 'P' code - which shows up the most in the collected information - more than likely indicates a regular production order. Again, this was used at the Dearborn Assembly Plant. These were used prior to the axle-trans codes being added in April '57, as noted in MSL M-155.

Collection of information from plates of cars built at the other final assembly plants is needed. I would have to believe that the International Ford Retractable Club (IFRC) has a leg up on this, but I don't recall if Skyliner production was limited to specific plants. And I want to believe that IFRC is just as stingy as the collectors and keepers of data plate information with the Crown Victoria Association (CVA), which I've noted and commented on in a previous post on this topic.

M-144A? I have it. M-144A gives info on manufacturer and date codes for parts and assemblies. No info on data plate-related items. Be thankful I'm feeling generous today - copy of M-144A is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MSL M-144a 56-10-08 57 Car-Truck DTP-Parts ID pt 2.pdf (197.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by alt63bird; 01-18-2022 at 11:45 PM.