Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2021, 08:43 AM   #1
Mart

Default Balancing the flywheel on the 41 pickup at home.

Hello! Welcome to Mart's garage. I have been struggling with a big vibration on my 41 pickup. I couldn't drive it above about 45mph it was just too harsh. It dawned on me that the Old 59 flatty in the truck had a modified flywheel. I decided to pull the motor and see if I could improve on the balance of the flywheel. In this video I show that job. I skim through the removal and refitting because I have shown that before. The setup I used was a little crude, but did yield a positive result. Although I am pleased to have made an improvement, I am not 100% happy and have yet to decide if the motor will stay.
So sit back and relax and watch me tackle a job I have not tried before. Just like normal then.
Mart.
https://youtu.be/PE2YRmar56A
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:42 AM   #2
corvette8n

Default Re: Balancing the flywheel on the 41 pickup at home.

Mart: interesting video, I’ve come to the conclusion you need a bigger garage(then you’d have room for more cars lol).
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:53 AM   #3
Als48

Good one Mart! Quite a bit of work to accomplish, but worthwhile.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #4
vincent

I balanced my flywheel as I removed around 5lbs from it. Got it down to 2 gr so no vibes at all. You should look into the clutch as well. One of the reasons I used a modern clutch.
vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:43 AM   #5
Bored&Stroked

Me, I'd surely rather use a dynamic balancer - with the clutch mounted on it as well. Cast flywheels make me nervous - so I like them to be as close to neutral balanced as possible.

But hey, folks used static balancing methods for years and they can work pretty well. I watched my neighbor balance his Harley Davidson flywheels using a static method . . . he was pretty good at it. His setup used extremely low-friction "centers" to rotate the flywheels on.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
cas3

Two model T transmission input shafts bolt directly to ford flywheels for static balance on knife edges
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #7
Ronnieroadster

A worn out U joint at the transmission in a torque tube rear was recently discovered the cause of a similar vibration in a Deuce coupe. Balance on the flywheel and PP combination was less than 20 grams which was not enough to create the vibration.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:52 PM   #8
Glenn Thoreson

You can fine tune the balance by adding a lock washer to each bolt. Adding, removing and moving to the next one around the circle until you get the best result. I always doubted this process until I replaced a clutch and PP in my '46 Buick and it vibrated.. In the Factory service manual it said to use this method. I always thought someone was nuts but I tried it and it worked (!). But then, that was over 50 years ago so it might not work any more.
Glenn Thoreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:38 PM   #9
GB SISSON

Mart, I DO love your videos, but like so many I don't have any real machinist tools. I have balanced a flywheel by using an inverted plumb bob with a threaded tip ground off to expose a hole for a wire which I hung from a ceiling joist. Even the smallest weight would tilt it one way or the other. This was for a one lung flywheel engine I made from a bunch of different parts. Set above my workbench, which is perfectly level I could measure up to check equal distance. I don't think friction comes into play. I got the idea from the old bubble balancers and JC Whitney Lawn mower blade balancer. Perhaps way too crude for an automobile engine.... OR?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:17 AM   #10
STEVE O

I guess one thing to see is if the vibration is there at the same rpm setting still in neutral, Years ago I was fighting a bad vibration at 50 mph (on a 71 Ranchero)and went thru all the normal things, tires, ujoints etc until Dad revved it setting still and it was still there. After taking the fan belt off it was gone. After some part swapping it, it ending up being the alternator, Who would have thought! Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote