Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2021, 07:25 AM   #561
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Folks,
Update on bits and pieces of the ole blue 32.
Added Renners split collar to the water pump shaft:

Cleaned adjusted the brake rod, added return spring, attacted the cleaned stop light switch and added a spring the activate it.

Still learing about the timing:

Have a 12volt coil and condenser. Mounting brackets for the alternator next.

Floor boards cleaned up and in place to position the master battery cut out switch in the floor area.

Regards,
Chris
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 10-06-2021 at 08:44 PM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:59 PM   #562
sugarmaker

Barners,
Approx location of battery disconect. Body will be below floor level with switch above floor.

Alternator bracket prototype/ fab:

Now for the adjustment bracket fab. I would like to find one from a tractor or something and make some mods. The one I got from the battery shop is very hard material. Will see.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-07-2021, 07:17 AM   #563
sugarmaker

Folks,
Built my punch list! 30 ish items to touch/ research, get parts , clean, paint, wire, assemble, design, fab, or other tasks. (and thats just to be ready to start it. Doesnt include lights and other items. Sounds about right! These will morph into twice that many and lead me down several new paths on the 32.
Based on that short list, it looks like maybe Christmas or my 70 th birthday just when the truck turns 90 years old early next year 2022??

I appreciate the support, encouragement and guidance all on the Ford Barn members and friends have provided on my project truck.

Thanks for checking in on me!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-07-2021, 08:01 AM   #564
Bored&Stroked

We all know the drill . . . the top-end of the list gets shorter and the bottom end of the list (and the costs) seems to multiply about 2X! That is the nature of the beasts we work on . . . always something more to do (but Hey, that is part of the fun).

I think you should start it and take it for a ride on your birthday. Keep the posts coming, we enjoy your work and positive attitude toward everything. Best of luck Chris!

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:25 PM   #565
sugarmaker

Dale,
Thanks I am really looking for the day those 32 headlights shine. They will be one on many "crown jewels" on the 32 from new found friends.
So Jan 3 will be the day I will strive for. Might be sooner but the way its gone this summer, that date looks about right!

I had a IH TD6 dozer loader that I sold to fund some of the 32 project. It was pretty neat and I have many pages of information on the Red Power Forum under construction section about bringing it to life and the work to get it operational again vintage was 1954 model. Here is a picture of it when I had it. You can see some areas are cleaned, re-furbed and painted, other areas left original. I would start it on my birthday even if it was very cold! Diesel engine that starts on gas then toggles to diesel, (no pony motor)!

Folks,
Spent the day at the local tractor show grounds hauling pulling tractor, mowing grass, and repairing damage to the lawns from the summer show which was way too wet!
We have a tractor pull Saturday Oct 9 th. So more Orange tractors to haul there and home. Club members built a new pulling track for our antique pulls this summer.

So when I got home I began rummaging through my Allis parts in the vast warehouse for a bracket to use or modify to adjust/ tighten the fan belt. I found a bracket for the Allis WD hydraulic system that will be retrofitted to work on the AAB truck.

Forgot to mention that I did get a fan belt it is a NAPA B40 which may be slightly narrower than the original, but a good fit into the pulleys. Used some soap and a gentle nudge with a piece of wood and a hammer and the belt was gently forced between the crank pulley and the u bolts! I was sweating that one!

different alternator tension-er will be used:

My helper for the morning was the toe headed Great Grandson Cooper. He climbed in the cab and was happy the truck had floor boards for a change!

Small steps!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 10-07-2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:00 AM   #566
flatford8

Is it coincidence that his shirt is the same color as his Great Grandfathers tractor?.......LOL....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:31 AM   #567
sugarmaker

Mark,
Yes he has the orange thing in the blood too. He has already claimed one of the tractors a old WD in its work clothes.
He informs me also that he and I are going to ride in the cab of the 32 and his Nana and brother are going to ride in the bed! I am looking forward to haulin him into town in this ragged ol truck!

Not much headway on the punch list last night. got the alternator adjustment bracket tweaked, cleaned, painted and installed.
Here it is right from the warehouse in prototype mode:

Should work just fine to hold the belt snug:

Picked a spot for the battery disconnect switch in the floor board.

in proto phase:

a couple faastners to hold this to the frame and then a small cut out in the floor board. The top of the switch will be almost flush with the top of the floor. This will allow it to be out of the way from getting bumped with my big clod hoppers, but still handy to reach.
Location idea came from John S the Model A guy. He has his in similar position in his nice yellow cabriolet.

Hope things are good. We are getting wound up for our last tractor pull on Saturday.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-08-2021, 06:10 AM   #568
Mart

Hi Chris.
May I suggest that it might be an idea to remake the alternator bracket in heavier material?
It looks a bit weedy from my side of the monitor all these miles away.
All the best.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:33 AM   #569
Zeke3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
hi chris.
May i suggest that it might be an idea to remake the alternator bracket in heavier material?
x2.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #570
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Hi Chris.
May I suggest that it might be an idea to remake the alternator bracket in heavier material?
It looks a bit weedy from my side of the monitor all these miles away.
All the best.
Mart.
Mart, with respect, looks ok to me. Which are you referring to? top or bottom? Both look ok to me. 'Course, I'd rather not see the alternator... But, that's a different thread. Grin
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:03 PM   #571
Als48

Sugarmaker, I'm lovin that ole truck! Wish I had one like it. It reminds me of one my brother had, which was a '34 Pickup hot-rodded a little with a C... engine. I shoulda bought it before his wife gave it away.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #572
Als48

Sugarmaker, I'm lovin that ole truck! Wish I had one like it. It reminds me of one my brother had, which was a '34 Pickup hot-rodded a little with a C... engine. I shoulda bought it before his wife gave it away.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #573
sugarmaker

Al, Bob, Mart,
The bottom bracket is 1/8 thick. And is a weldment, captured in the old generator support, also extends down to the motor mount arm bolt hole in both sides for added strength. I think it's going to be pretty solid. But I have also been know to be wrong and remake things after the test phase. I will monitor the lower and upper brackets. Lots of action that can cause things to weaken and or fail. Thanks for looking at this my pictures may not be very good?
It's going to be a ragged old truck for sure.
Picked up some battery cables and have the battery disconnect in position and the floor board cut. Looking like it should work.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 10-08-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 06:34 PM   #574
flatford8

Chris, I’m in agreement with a couple of the other guys.....the bottom mount warrants watching for cracking.....(but I tend to over engineer things I make).....the “ Ragged ‘Ol Truck” has got to make it back home.....especially if Nana is riding in the back !!!......great job on the truck !!!......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:51 PM   #575
sugarmaker

Mark, Folks,
I am officially warned about the lower bracket! I think it is ok and should work fine. time will tell. Also you guys have more experience around these engines that I do! Some other shots of that fabrication to hold the alternator:

The ragged ol truck hit a milestone event in its life tonight!
I stayed with it and completed the main 12 volt primary electrical system. In other words power to the disconnect switch then to ground. Then installed the positive lead from the battery to the installed starter.

Tripple checked things and threw the disconnect switch to on, and pulled the starter knob on the dash. She rolled right over easy! Tried it several times. Seems to be good for that portion of the electrical system. Had no unusual noises!

Next up will be to mount the coil and get electric to the distributor.

I also timed the engine with the Nu Rex tool and instructions. Had a little trouble finding the dimple in the cam gear. Got it and could look in and see it too.

Will build a battery hold down and get that secured in place too.

The rest of the original wiring is in my opinion a disaster. Not sure what I am going to do to rebuild the system at this time? More on that later.

So there are a dozen key things to get done for the start up party!

Random shots. Engine seemed happy so far!

Tomorrow we pull tractors and play in the dirt with big toys!

Jim was here and picked up his Tug for the show tomorrow:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 10-08-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:57 PM   #576
Tinker

Maybe I missed it, lot of posts for this guy that only comes on here a few times a week. What are you doing with the ignition with 12v? Just curious. Looking good.

You have a template and have done it once. I'd consider using some 3/8"s bar stock on the bracket down the road.

Maybe a new harness is in order. It only takes about 6-8 wires to make a 4 banger work.

Neat stuff!

Last edited by Tinker; 10-08-2021 at 10:03 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:12 PM   #577
Bob C

I do not think you can use the Nu-Rex tool for timing the "B" distributor.
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:06 AM   #578
sugarmaker

Tinker,
Sorry about the number of posts. Just how I do this forum thing and projects. Probably too much information for sure! Off in the weeds a lot also.

I had considered 1/4 inch stock for the alt. support, but NAPA didnt have any. So my design used the strength of the bolted offset "H" shape, to secure the Denso alternator in position. Its is very stiff and not flopping around for sure.

As a reference the brackets which are factory on the original generators are about 3/32 thick, I would guess.

As far as the ignition system and 12 volt I have not noodled it out yet. I dont even know if the original key switch is functional yet? Would like to use that for sure!
I have considered putting in a new switch at a different location along with a volt meter and a light switch. Those are all the items needed to be fully operational. There is a old push button dimmer switch that was in the floor board that I would like to use if the headlights ever go back on.
The wiring would be very similar to the way I wire up the Allis tractors when those have been converted to 12 volt. Yes, not to many wires needed to get this complete electrical system including lights in working order.

Bob,
I had spoke with David Renner and he is the one that I got the tool from. He assured me it would work for the B engine timing! It seemed to work fine just as described. Time will tell if I have the engine in time. (pun intended).

Thanks to folks for assisting me through the learning process on the 32 truck. I had to take the spare tire off the fender, it limits the door opening so bad its annoying. How did folks use this with a spare in position?

I think this thing may actually run! For how long is the question. We dont have water in it yet either that will be a true test!!

Speaking of which we are now in the rinse cycle and it may not be a good day to be tractor pulling! Update on that later.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 10-09-2021 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:25 AM   #579
STEVE O

Hi Chris,
By all means keep the posts coming!. It takes a kind person to take the time to post the progress by each step. I have never built a 4 cyl but stay excited to see the progress in each step. Keep up the great work and wonderful posts! By the way your syrup and tractors/shows only adds to your posts.
Thanks
Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:42 AM   #580
51504bat

It's 5:35am here in SoCal. Up having a cup getting ready to go to a Saturday morning donuts and coffee car meet up. Your posts are one of the ones I go to first when checking the Barn. And I think I speak for many others, keep your posts coming. I haven't had a banger since I had my Model A back in HS (1966/7) but I still learn stuff from your posts and replies. I grew up outside of Philadelphia before my Dad got transferred to SoCal. The scenery in your photos is like a trip down memory lane. And I have a soft spot for Cub Cadet's as well. Good luck at the pull this weekend.