Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
JohnB15632

Default 31A S/W 4D TS Restoration Rear Seat Springs

Can anyone tell me if I have the springs correctly installed on the back seat support wood?

Are there any specific installation dimensions?

What is the best way to attach the springs to the support wood?

Thank you,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0703.jpg (68.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0704.jpg (72.7 KB, 56 views)
JohnB15632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
Terry, NJ

Default Re: 31A S/W 4D TS Restoration Rear Seat Springs

Not being and expert I may be wrong, but they look OK from here. Sloping tops to the springs, high in the center. The only thing that comes to mind is the clearance between the back cushions and the fold down spring. Too little and the fabric might rub and wear. And I don't know what is correct! I used cable clamps to hold my springs to the wood. Look at my pics of "My A" in my album. Maybe you want more rigidity in case of short stops. Think about it. Lastly, Do you have a piece of the top piece of the seat, with the curves. No one around here has an old one and mine was gone so I've tried drawing the piece from a picture, too much difference in scale! Also, What is the height of the top piece?
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB15632 View Post
Can anyone tell me if I have the springs correctly installed on the back seat support wood?

Are there any specific installation dimensions?

What is the best way to attach the springs to the support wood?

Thank you,
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

The 31 slant windshield Town Sedan shouldn't have a fold down center armrest.
I can't help with the springs, as my 31 Slant T/S is missing the rear backrest spring assembly, and I'm still looking if someone has one for sale.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
The 31 slant windshield Town Sedan shouldn't have a fold down center armrest.
I did not know that. That's one of the things I like about my '30 TS rear seat, makes it look luxurious...

I think they "overstuffed" mine. Sure is comfortable tho.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5498.jpg (56.2 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-21-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
JohnB15632

To Tom, The deluxe model does indeed have a rear center armrest for those willing to pay for it. The deluxe model does come with many amenities as requested by individuals who wanted to show off their Model A's.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #6
Terry, NJ

Edsel's "Baby" Lincoln, remember?
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #7
Don Turley

John, Go back to your question on July 14th where you were asking about the installation of the center arm rest hinge. I posted a photo of original springs, with original center arm rest, mounted on original wood. Your photo above tells me that you have the springs installed incorrectly. The wire around the outer edge has an indent for clearance of the arm rests on either side of the car. That side of the spring should be facing forward, closest to the upholstery. The center arm rest spring is backwards also.
Original springs were fastened to the wood using strips of scrap top material. Fold a strip around the base spring and attach the material to the wood with a tack. Do this in several places around the outside edge of the spring. Do this in as many places as it takes to hold the spring without slipping.
Tom is correct in that the 1931 Slant Windshield Town Sedan did not originally come from the factory with a center fold down arm rest. However, it is your car and you can build it to suit yourself. Enjoy.

Last edited by Don Turley; 07-21-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Don Turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:36 AM   #8
JohnB15632

Dan, later last night, I installed the rear seat into the body. Photo attached. From the information that you provided, the springs look correct to me. The indents for the arm rests are in the correct location I believe.

This rear seat is different from yours. I see in your picture that the upper wood piece appears to be hooped shaped. The seat that I have is straight across the top.

I have located many pictures of Model A SW 4D TS that show center arm rests. I can easily get the necessary springs and I have found upholstery is also available for the installation of the arm rests.

I appreciate your help and input.

Thank you,
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0705.jpg (75.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0702.jpg (51.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg interior.jpg (8.4 KB, 41 views)
Old 07-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I'm pretty sure those long metal straps connecting the springs should face the wood, so if you take the spring on the right side and flip it over to the left side it would be correct as Don mentioned, and the "bump in" part of the wire frame would then be facing forward for the arm rest clearance.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:27 AM   #10
JohnB15632

Thank you. I will give that a try this afternoon.
As I have no reference to start with, I appreciate the information that you are providing me.
My original body came with nothing. Nothing at all. I am having to learn as I go.
There is no information available if someone like myself is starting over from the very beginning.
You gentlemen are such a great source of information.
Thank you for all of the help you are providing!!!!
Old 07-22-2017, 06:37 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

I have the same problem with my 31 slant T/S, as the rear seat back was missing, but some odd ball spring was in the back. I never understood that, as the rest of the original seats with fairly good upholstery were all in place.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
JohnB15632

I took the seat spring off and rearranged as informed about. I was able to get them in the right position now. Thanks!!

to Terry,

While I had the seat wood apart, I measured the top piece of wood. From the bottom of the base to the top of the top piece is 21 7/16"

Now, this leads to the next series of questions.

Arm rests: does anyone have pictures, dimensions, and instructions for installing the arm rest supports?

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0707.jpg (86.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0708.jpg (68.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Within the past couple years someone posted good pictures of the side armrests, but I can't find the thread by using the search feature.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:48 PM   #14
Don Turley

Quote:
I have located many pictures of Model A SW 4D TS that show center arm rests. John
The photo that you show of the upholstered rear seat with a fold down center arm rest is not from a 1931 Slant Windshield Town Sedan. It is from a Straight Windshield Town Sedan. The two cars can be distinguished by the rear quarter window. The 1931 Slant Windshield Town Sedan has a wider rear quarter window than the Straight Windshield Town Sedans. Also, the Slant Windshield Town Sedan rear quarter window rolls down about half way and has a twist type crank handle to operate that mechanism. There is no window crank handle for the rear quarter window in the car that you have shown the photo.

I see from your later post that you now have your springs located properly on the wood seat back frame.

You asked about the side arm rests. The side arm rests for the 1931 Slant Windshield Town Sedan are different from the side arm rests for the Straight Windshield and they attach to the body differently also. Which style side arm rests do you plan on using?

You also mentioned that my seat wood looks different than yours, that my looks "hooped" over the top while yours is straight across. The reason for that is that you started out with the correct seat wood for a 1931 Slant Windshield Town Sedan and are trying to adapt the fold down center arm rest to it. You even mentioned that you had to remove the center vertical support because it was in the way of the center arm rest. The wood that I showed in my photo is original wood from a car with the center arm rest.

I have installed interior kits in three Straight Windshield Town Sedans, and I own one. I have also installed an interior kit in a Slant Windshield Town Sedan.

Happy to help you if I can.
Don Turley
[email protected]
706-863-4867
www.donturley.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Town Sedan rear seat 001.jpg (113.3 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Don Turley; 07-24-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #15
JohnB15632

Good Evening,
I want to install the side arm rest for the 1931 Slant Windshield Town Sedan. I have kits form Snyders. I can not understand the instructions provided. I do not believe the instruction cover the 1931 SW 4D TS.
Do you have any information on how the side arm rests are installed>
I have only been in the Model "A" hobby for 2 years. I only have one Model A that is currently under restoration.

I know nothing. I have nothing to go by. I am learning as I go. I will never know anywhere near enough to be a judge of any sort.
That is why I am asking for installation instructions.

Thank you,
Old 07-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #16
Don Turley

"Please show a photo of the arm rests that you are trying to install."

The arm rest that John shows in his photo below are reproductions of the style that fit the Straight Windshield Town Sedans. To install them in a Slant Windshield Town Sedan will require modifications to the upholstery installation. The correct arm rests for the Slant Windshield Town Sedan are available from LeBaron Bonney, part number RFP1350.

Last edited by Don Turley; 07-23-2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 07-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #17
JohnB15632

This is a picture of a 1931 SW 4D TS showing the rear center arm rest, the handles for the 3rd windows, and the side arm rests.

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg interior 2.jpg (10.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-22-2017, 08:19 PM   #18
Don Turley

Quote:
This is a picture of a 1931 SW 4D TS showing the rear center arm rest, the handles for the 3rd windows, and the side arm rests. Thank you
Yes, that is a 1931 Slant Windshield Town Sedan with everything you said, except for the center arm rest. I do not see a center arm rest. The side arm rests in that photo are correct for that car.
The side arm rest for the Slant Windshield Town Sedan has a wood base that is upholstered and attached to the upholstered quarter panel. The side arm rest for the Straight Windshield Town Sedan has a steel base, padded and upholstered and attached after the quarter panel is installed.

Please show a photo of the arm rests that you will be using.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:04 PM   #19
JohnB15632

This is Snyder's A-56666-PR.

These are the only arm rest parts that I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0709.jpg (82.6 KB, 21 views)