Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #21
Randy in ca

Default Re: A real ebay "STEEL"

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
WISDOM ???????

Not much different than a poor ........ but most "wise" widow who is trying to "successfully" sell "all" of her husband's 50 year collection of very rare Model A parts to who are referred to as today's honest Model A owners ....... she also knows how to jack up the asking prices.

Most who own Model A businesses today will agree that approximately 98.99% of our Model A owners are honest; however, 99.99% of our Model A owners will gladly take advantage of anyone.

This Ebay guy appears to have learned the 99.99% rule and to offer everything at $1,000.00, with a "Make Offer Ad".

Next here comes one of the 98.99% of the Model A honest owners, and falling into the 99.99% class, he gladly offers $139.63 for a $1,000.00 item.

The next Sunday, this honest Model A owner who sat in the front pew, gets out of church and cannot wait to tell all of his friends what a great deal he made screwing an Ebay salesman out of $860.37.

In the end, both live "Happily Ever After" as noted in his 100% ratings, and by the multiple praises, for example, on fast shipping etc.

The minds of horses and dogs usually appear more difficult to analyse.

Funny thing, but none of his current auctions even contain the "Best Offer" option - they are strictly "Buy it Now" for $1000.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:58 PM   #22
daveymc29

I have a friend bought a cowl band. It came neatly folded into about 1 foot lengths, so as to fit in a small package. I understand bad words were exchanged.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:25 AM   #23
H. L. Chauvin

I went to this referenced gentleman's E-bay Model A part ad, and under the space allotted for questions, I asked the gentleman for clarification of his many .... "But It Now" .... items listed for $1,000.00.

I explained that I noticed all of his items were listed at $1,000.00; and that past reviews indicated many buyers bought items for less than $1,000.00; and kindly asked him if he would consider accepting offers for less than $1,000.00 for each of the items he had listed, whereby he came back with a much expected response in one (1) word.

"Yes."

I feel sure he would accept reasonable offers ..... and please remember, the answer for anything we want in Life is always "NO" ........... until we ask!

And also, the minds of horses and dogs usually appear more difficult for me to analyse.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-22-2017 at 12:30 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:37 AM   #24
30 Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
I asked the gentleman for clarification
And also, the minds of horses and dogs usually appear more difficult for me to analyse.
An adventure well thought out, perfectly executed, and successfully recovered from.

No one had to eat any Vienna sausages did they?
30 Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:12 AM   #25
SeaSlugs

what hes doing is no different that asking the buyer "whats it worth" or telling the buyer to "make an offer". People that value X item more than he was going to sell it for he maximizes profit, people who want to lowball him he can reject their offer.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:46 AM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
what hes doing is no different that asking the buyer "whats it worth" or telling the buyer to "make an offer". People that value X item more than he was going to sell it for he maximizes profit, people who want to lowball him he can reject their offer.
Back in 1969 I tried to lowball the owner of a 1950 Studebaker Commander I saw parked on the street. I asked if he would like to sell the car, and he said he thought the head gasket was blown, and asked what would I offer. I asked if he'd take $50 for it, and he said "I sure would", as though I was paying twice what it was worth.

I checked the compression, and it was 100, 100, 100, 100, 40, 40, so I also thought it must be the head gasket, but when I removed the head I found two slightly burned exhaust valves. I replaced all 6 with genuine parts for only $7.60.
That's what you call "the good old days".
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #27
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW, An Update on this E-Bay Item:

This intelligent honest E-bay gentleman is somewhat like "all" of us in that he has no idea as to how much "interested" buyers are willing to pay for the vintage, used items he has listed; e.g., he knows, like most of us that a good 99% of Americans would not want a totally restored "heavy" Model A long block mailed to their house for FREE ....... so naturally, at a $1,000.00 asking price, he is not bothered with this 99% of modern Americans who ignore his vintage ads and hence, ask no questions.

On the other hand, somewhat like all of us, this right honorable gentleman has no idea what a very few financially successfully folks are willing to pay for the most "rare" vintage, used item one can imagine that he has listed, so rather than start out at (75) cents, he sets the price at a very high "Buy-It-Now" price of $1,000.00 knowing that only the most "interested and the most "intelligent" buyers will research further to inquire if he will accept less, after they see his most honorable E-Bay listed sellers rating.

At this point, he is not bothered with the thousands and thousands of bothersome dumb questions from all the dumb Model A Scrooges, (who constantly buy Vienna sausage and sweet potatoes for their family's survival), and who stay up all night for (2) weeks watching an item's (75) cent escalating price.

As noticed in the E-Bay emails I just received this morning, his "Buy-It-Now" items have the normal E-bay time limit; however, the "Buy-It-Now asking price is still at $1,000.00, so nobody knows what others have offered until after the item's time limit has expired.

Again like most of us, he is only trying to honestly deal with honest, "interested" and "intelligent" folks who "really" want and most probably really "need" this item for their prized project.

In the end, he feels gratified in that he has really helped somebody when they come back 100% of the time to announce that they are 100% satisfied with their purchase.

Maybe the moral of this method to sell E-Bay items would be:

If you offer to sell Model A parts on E-Bay, accompanied with Free Vienna sausage and sweet potatoes, with a price starting at (75) cents, you might stay up all night answering dumb questions from several Model A dumb Scrooges trying to screw you out of a real dumb deal.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-22-2017 at 11:37 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote