Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #61
holdover

Default Re: What did you do working on you Model A today

rebuilt the seat riser and made new wood for the cab where the seat back attaches to. Rebuilt a distributor and installed it on the AA. Finished prep for the interior to be painted, still fine sanding and getting the exterior ready for paint. Getting closer all the time..
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #62
Will N

I'm convinced God is watching out for me. I was under the car checking it out for the upcoming ride to Gettysburg, and noticed the rear spring center bolt nut had snapped off. My initial plan was to lower the axle and spring and see if I could draw the spring together with a long bolt, clamp it, replace the long bolt with the regular square head bolt, yada yada, while the spring was still attached to the axle under the car. But I soon realized that was not going to be a comfortable and safe working condition, so I removed the spring. As I was tapped out the last shackle, the spring fell over with the shackle still part way in the eye, and son of a gun the shackle broke in two when the spring hit the floor. Well I looked at it more closely, and only half of the crack was clean and new. The other half of the crack was dirty and greasy, indicating it had been cracked for some time already. That could have been a real bad situation had that shackle let go on the road.

So I'm convinced God snapped off that spring center bolt were I could easily see it so that I would eventually find the cracked shackle that was not obviously damaged just by a cursory look at it.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #63
TRP

Last night i replaced the choke rod bushings and leather washer on my 29, Tudor. It has been rattling and vibrating out of adjustment. I found it had some sort of metal permabushing 'thing' mounted in the upper bracket. Not sure what that was about. Pullet it and put it in a baggie incase it was important.

Next up? Remove the column mounted starter button and replace it with a proper foot switch.

Waiting on some replacement screws for various trim bits.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #64
Chris Haynes

Today I will replace the fuel line, install rebuilt generator, Flush Rust 911 from the cooling system, and attempt to get the lights working (if my parts arrive).
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #65
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Here is something you guys might check. On the front spring, those two brackets that clamp on the leaves to keep them straight and in line can get loose. Mine were loose and a friend lost his and his leaves splayed out. Just something to look at.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #66
fixitphil

Finishing up on the installation of my new "Ken Davis" shock set and installing my newly powder coated wheels and new tires. Should be driving my barn find '31 Sport Coupe in and out of the garage soon. Few more items to be done and then install my newly painted fenders and Snyder running boards. Yippee!!
fixitphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:26 AM   #67
Bill G

Pulled the engine. Two guys from the local club offered to help. Actually, they did an awesome job and I felt like I was along for the learning experience and they were really the ones doing all the work. The project started as me having a need to replace the clutch. One thing leads to another....

Awesome folks here in the club I am the newcomer.

More to follow, I am sure.

-Bill G
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:39 AM   #68
john charlton

Sadly I strayed from the true path and spent yesterday doing bodywork on my sons 1942 Ford GPW Jeep but at least it aint a Chebby !!! . Today out for a long country run in my late 30 CCPU which has a Budd cab so I keep a good lookout for the Model A Police !!! My son and I have 5 As on the road and many more in bits even a 180A deluxe phaeton which I must do someday I have only had it 15 years !!! . My late wife once said " You are obsessed !!!" What can she mean ???

John in warm humid morning Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:11 AM   #69
quickchange

Hey John keep that boy working , hope to catch in October, Derek & Paul from a stormy wet NZ
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:04 AM   #70
Tony Hillyard

After having poor braking on my 1928 Standard Roadster I decided to check the brake drums on my lathe. I skimmed all four, refitted them and now she brakes like a modern car.
Tony Hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #71
holdover

At the Mid-Atlantic Swap Meet in Lurray this past May , found a Sparton horn that needed restoring and some parts to do it. Re wound the field coils for 12 Volt and painted it with new gaskets, hardware etc. Another part of the restoration done.. Tomorrow hope to paint the interior of the cab. Putting the truck back to its original color Rock Moss Green, my '29 CCPU is the same color. At the swap meet also purchased a very good pair of front fenders, starting to block sand and fixing the very minor imperfections, maybe primer in a couple of weeks.. Life is good when you are driving a Model A!
Old 07-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #72
Terry, NJ

John, if I were in the UK, I'd want to hang around with you! You and your son are to be commended! Any time he wants to come here and work with me, he seems to get things done! A few days ago, I crossed 73 y o and some days I feel every hour of it.
Another Too Hot (90F+) high humid, day in Bucks Co, Pennsylvania!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
Sadly I strayed from the true path and spent yesterday doing bodywork on my sons 1942 Ford GPW Jeep but at least it aint a Chebby !!! . Today out for a long country run in my late 30 CCPU which has a Budd cab so I keep a good lookout for the Model A Police !!! My son and I have 5 As on the road and many more in bits even a 180A deluxe phaeton which I must do someday I have only had it 15 years !!! . My late wife once said " You are obsessed !!!" What can she mean ???

John in warm humid morning Suffolk County England .
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #73
Terry, NJ

What did I do? Well further disassembly of my red wheeled coupe to paint and cleanup the frame a little. Gee, it didn't seem too bad at first, in 15 minutes the sweat was flowing like Niagra. Well so what! I've been sweaty before! I managed to get the RF fender off after much agita.
Terry
Old 07-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #74
daveymc29

Got out of the hospital today, realize that Afib is back and it may just be time to unload a few unfinished projects to a new home. Spent 24 hours mulling things over and figure the time has come. Enjoy what I have running and part with the rest of the someday................ thoughts. The Delivery goes first.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #75
lucky_stripe_garage

Yesterday I finished installing my new spring, shackles and bushing on the front end. Painted the axle and degreased the front end a little bit. I also put the first coat of color on the last couple of wheels. Going to try and get a second coat on all 6 wheels today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lucky_stripe_garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #76
Fred S

I charged my battery by driving the car to a car club BBQ.
Fred S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #77
TRP

Flushed the radiator and refilled with cool clean water.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:36 PM   #78
Bill G

Rebuilt bell housing for badly worn pedal shaft and pedal bushings as well as bushings on the clutch release shaft. In fact, the one of the old bushings on the clutch shaft had actually come loose in half and was completely out of the bore. No wonder there was a lot of slop!

Driving the pin out of the pedal shaft was a bugger. Got it all done. Clutch release shaft bushings needed no reaming, but the pedal bushings both needed reaming.

~BG
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #79
holdover

painted the interior on the '31 CCPU Budd Cab AA SWB yesterday, looks great. Today worked on putting in the seat back support wood and the instrument panel. Picked the best looking speedo I had, cleaned and oiled it and vfy that it worked. After a couple of hours working on the AA, wife and I took the '29 CCPU for a ride on the Blue Ridge Pky and a BBQ dinner.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #80
Terry, NJ

Lucky Stripe Garage, You are happy with those mounting parts? Not to be a picky PITA, but if it were mine, I would want at least one gusset on those upper brackets and I'd want to use a piece of angle iron, not a piece of !/4" bar stock, bent to 90 deg. Jist Sayin' Get some other opinions, but I think there's a chance that might straighten its self out my the end of the first year.
Good luck! Terry