Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2014, 02:18 AM   #21
gaugewhite

Default Re: Water-Damaged Cars (off-topic)

Hi,
Any vehicle that's been subjected to water should be sold well underneath market value, and except the dealership can prove extensive restoration. After all, when buying a flood-damaged vehicle, you're presuming a substantial economic risk that foremost fixes could be essential. Make sure that you don't pay more for the car than you're willing to pay if the worst-case scenario happens. Also know that when a vehicle is flooded, normally, the manufacturer's warranty is voided.
gaugewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:21 AM   #22
Charlville

Before I bought my "real" 1929 Sport Coupe, I briefly flirted with the purchase of a Shay replica. Being in the UK I had to rely on photos and a friend to take a look at a car I saw on the Internet. The car was located in the Katrina area but looked good in the photos and wasn't carrying a flood title. When I got my friend to take a close look the car was quite water damaged having been in a storage unit when Katrina hit. Apparently certain conditions have to be met to trigger the flood title status, so in short 'Caveat Emptor' Trouble is the cars are spread all over the States and probably the world in some cases ?
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #23
dumb person

i own a flood damaged car, i have not started restoring it yet i have too many other cars waiting for repairs (A.K.A. bare metal / new chassis restoration) its not all bad.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:43 AM   #24
gaugewhite

Hi,
You can go for other salvage options rather than the flood damage cars. I recently purchased salvage bmw .The car is in good condition but I will be using it temporarily and will resell it again.
gaugewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:36 AM   #25
Kurt in NJ

There were some broken cars at the shop that the owners had towed home after the storm so they could get their "fema" money, and other dead before the storm cars were towed in to get a "estimate" on the flood damage(femas going to buy me a new car)---some hadn't been on the road for several years we looked at a lot of cars to establish the waterline

"flood", and" salvage" will only end up on the title if there is insurance claim, if the car wasn't insured there usually won't be any record of it being in a flood
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:30 AM   #26
ronn

I've known people who bought flood damaged cars with low miles and run them a couple of hundred thousand miles with no problems.
Yes, they are a risk, but at substantial savings it is sometimes worth it to the buyer and every one of them is certainly not a lemon.

Regarding Hyundai-yes, they have improved I am sure, but I rented the cheap little accent in the fall for a weekend and what a piece of cr##p!
To save a thousand or two, I'ld rather spend the $ for a honda toyota nissan or just about anything else. I guess we all have our opinions!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #27
Steve Wastler

Despite warnings, if the storms encompase 5,6,7 states and you have that many vehicles, how are you able to 'move them to higher ground'? Flood damaged vehicles don't bother me, save for all the computer crap out there. Many a good older car to be had. No difference comprared to what some do with our vehicles anyway.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote