Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Doug in NJ

Default Water-Damaged Cars (off-topic)

Ever wonder what happened to all the cars damaged by Hurricane Sandy?
Look at this amazing photo:

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...n/JP-CARS.html

Doug

Last edited by Doug in NJ; 01-13-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
Doug in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
P.S.

Default Re: Water-Damaged Cars (off-topic)

Wow. It is unimaginable. Almost every one of those was likely somebody's pride and joy at one time.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Aok

Heres a link to a storm damaged 49 Plymouth for sale on craigs list it took some beating

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/pts/3519053112.html
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
P.S.

Something doesn't add up with that Plymouth. I seriously doubt the storm is what cut the passenger's side front fender so straight like that.... Looks like someone cut out what they needed.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
lance leblanc

Reminiscent of Hurricane Katrina, Buyers beware! Not every car damaged during the storm will get totaled. Of the ones that do, many will make it back in to the market. While they may look clean as a pin, they will be plagued with electrical problems and a long list of other long term problems with reair cost that will far offset any bargin price you may pay for the car. (I personally bit on a 1964 Lincoln Conv. after Katrina that I could not stand to see get crushed, only to realize two years later that it was a lost cause). But not all of them will be a bad deals. Insurance adjusters are obviously over welmed with clams and will often settle with out inspection or investigation. Some folks will gladly take an insurance check rather than fool with the hassle of salvage titles for a car that isnt really damaged.

Interesting side note: Believe it or not, here in Louisiana we are still auctioning off Katrina Trailers and since Sandy we have seen a spike in demand resulting in higher prices.

Last edited by lance leblanc; 01-13-2013 at 03:42 PM.
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Something doesn't add up with that Plymouth. I seriously doubt the storm is what cut the passenger's side front fender so straight like that.... Looks like someone cut out what they needed.
My guess is it was a project car, and the bigger beating type stuff was from the Hurricane.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29ModelA View Post
My guess is it was a project car, and the bigger beating type stuff was from the Hurricane.

That makes sense.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

I saw those pictures on the news the other night. Lots of CT towers have been working o/time to move cars. My understanding is they are all being "salvage" auctioned.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
40 Deluxe

Monday morning quaterbacking going on here I know, but with the advance hurricane warnings that were given, why didn't more owners get their cars to 'high ground', so to speak? What with the Internet, forums, car clubs, even AAA, etc., surely a guy could have found a safe haven a few hundred miles inland (outdoor/indoor storage yard, someone's garage or backyard, empty hangers, etc.).
The old car community is made up of many generous and helpful people, willing to haul a car to safety for gas money or provide storage space for the duration of the storm, etc. Just two days' time spent (a day before the storm and a day after) would have saved a lot of grief. Maybe a lesson for next time!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

Human nature. Many, many people ignored the warnings and I certainly believe NO ONE including the forecasters thought anything like the magnitude of this storm was going to happen. JMO

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
P.S.

And then, you have the people that DID get their most loved cars to high ground, along with themselves, leaving behind the less loved cars.

For example, if we had to "bug out" of here, the A and the newest Jeep would go, one of us in each. The other 3 vehicles would eventually be included in a similar photo as above, totalled by our insurance.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
lance leblanc

Gas becomes an issue as well, long lines before the storm and lack of electricity after disabling most pumps.
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:54 AM   #13
dumb person

That Plymouth looks fixable if you start on it soon enough.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
spdway1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
I saw those pictures on the news the other night. Lots of CT towers have been working o/time to move cars. My understanding is they are all being "salvage" auctioned.
Paul in CT
I have scene the news and read the articles, the news is VERY uneducated on this topic of flooded/damaged cars (and guns), they just want to put the fear in the public.

This is what I do for a living (Copart.com) I transport for them. It is up to the insurance company what they want to do with the damaged vehicles....Some are being stored and will go straight to the crusher (State Farm did this with Katrina cars) Most other companies are selling the cars as "Parts", the insurnace comapny gets the title and shreds it, sold on a bill of sale only marked "FLOOD". Rhis is a way the can recover some of their loss. There is virtually no way someone can obtain a title for these cars. The insurance companies do not want the liability down the road either.
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
spdway1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Paul in CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Monday morning quaterbacking going on here I know, but with the advance hurricane warnings that were given, why didn't more owners get their cars to 'high ground', so to speak? What with the Internet, forums, car clubs, even AAA, etc., surely a guy could have found a safe haven a few hundred miles inland (outdoor/indoor storage yard, someone's garage or backyard, empty hangers, etc.).
The old car community is made up of many generous and helpful people, willing to haul a car to safety for gas money or provide storage space for the duration of the storm, etc. Just two days' time spent (a day before the storm and a day after) would have saved a lot of grief. Maybe a lesson for next time!
I have thought the same thing...

Here is a modern car example...I have seen with my own eyes, Hyundai had 15,000 brand new vehicles fresh off the boat on the dock in NJ during the storm, all damaged. They decided it was cheapest to bring a large mobile metal shredder and shred EVERY NEW vehicle onto barges for recycling!!

Some of the other car manufacturers that had new cars damage on the dock either for import or export, sold them in huge lots to vehicle parts recycling facilities which will be sold off as parts only and or scrapped. A local yard to me has junked every car they had in inventory prior to the storm and replaced them with over 4000 "new" damaged cars from the storm. The place looks like a muddy new car dealer filled with new shiny cars.
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post
Hyundai had 15,000 brand new vehicles fresh off the boat on the dock in NJ during the storm, all damaged. They decided it was cheapest to bring a large mobile metal shredder and shred EVERY NEW vehicle onto barges for recycling!!

As a former Hyundai owner, I think the shredder was justified.

My wife fell in love with a Hyundai and just HAD to have one. Having helped create the spoiled woman she is, naturally I bought it for her. She only had the car for just shy of 2 years but it was in the shop nearly as often as it was in our driveway. We put less than 30K miles on it. I ended up buying the wife an American car and giving the Hyundai away to some young kid that needed a car and was mechanical enough to work on it himself. Good riddance!!

100K mile warranty or not... Does you no good if your wife is stranded somewhere while you're at work and can't get to her.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
Mitch//pa
BANNED

this nice 69 bird conv was taken to copart from my shop. was towed in from nj beach, note the waterline on the side. i think it was left there to collect the ins check because there was plenty of time to get it out of harms way..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.5 KB, 96 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #18
Chris in WNC

[QUOTE=P.S.;571759]As a former Hyundai owner, I think the shredder was justified.
QUOTE]

the Hyunadis of the 1980s were JUNK.
today's are much improved.
My daughter was shopping for a new 2007 Camry and could not resist the $8000 lower price for a comparable Hyundai.
6 years and 130,000 miles later she still LOVES it and it has been trouble-free.
I drive it occasionally and like it a lot.

your results may vary......
Old 01-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

agree the newer Hyundai's and kia's are very reliable vehicles now. the last few years they really turned it around and with a 6/60 bumper to bumper /10/100 powertrain no one matches that
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #20
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post
I have scene the news and read the articles, the news is VERY uneducated on this topic of flooded/damaged cars (and guns), they just want to put the fear in the public.

This is what I do for a living (Copart.com) I transport for them. It is up to the insurance company what they want to do with the damaged vehicles....Some are being stored and will go straight to the crusher (State Farm did this with Katrina cars) Most other companies are selling the cars as "Parts", the insurnace comapny gets the title and shreds it, sold on a bill of sale only marked "FLOOD". Rhis is a way the can recover some of their loss. There is virtually no way someone can obtain a title for these cars. The insurance companies do not want the liability down the road either.
Cars make their way back out of boneyards all the time with a good title. It just may not be done legally.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote